• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston and Cincy? Thats the best we can do? We are the new Big East.

Calm down Sooner. The Cougs may just wipe the floor with your asses in September. But yes, I do agree w/you the Big 12 has no business adding UofH. Cincy on the other hand is a good idea.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calm down Sooner. The Cougs may just wipe the. Cincy on the other hand is a good idea.

No, think about what you are saying, more Texas folk gonna be interested in watching Cincy in Austin or Houston? Cincy and WVU would be of decent interest but Cincy/OU? Cincy/Texas Tech? Ect. No, the interest for the majority of the Big12 would be UH, not even a question.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm...any chance the big dogs are trying to get the conference to expand so they can leave? Being at 10 members, the Big 12 would essentially dissolve before they dropped down to 8. That wouldn't sit well with the Oklahoma and Texas politicians if TTU, Baylor, TCU, and OSU were left out in the cold. However, if they add 4 teams, the conference would only drop to 12 if OU and UT left, ensuring those schools a place to play, albeit probably not at a level that is considered "Power 5" anymore.
Could be. Like I said, OU and Texas might as well depart now and let the rest of 'em get on with being a non P5 conference. None of the leftovers would be desirable to any of the other P5s...just like none of the current ones they are looking to add are wanted by any of the other P5s either. If they were they would have already added them.

Maybe Kansas (because of academics and hoops) and maybe West Virginia (I have no idea why I think that.)

Do you think any of the other P5s would want Iowa State, K-State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, TCU or Baylor? Why would they?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, think about what you are saying, more Texas folk gonna be interested in watching Cincy in Austin or Houston? Cincy and WVU would be of decent interest but Cincy/OU? Cincy/Texas Tech? Ect. No, the interest for the majority of the Big12 would be UH, not even a question.

I'd rather watch Texas play Cincy. We can always play UofH in OOC. Big 12 doesn't expand its brand by inviting Houston....

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. I know for a fact Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor fans are interested is seeing the "big names"...just like all fan bases. If we are being honest, that is the case in each conference. You can't tell me Michigan State fans really look forward to seeing Maryland and/or Rutgers come to town. Now, tOSU and Michigan...totally different story. Same for TCU fans. They are much more interested in seeing OU and Texas come to Cowtown than Iowa State and Tech.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. I know for a fact Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor fans are interested is seeing the "big names"...just like all fan bases. If we are being honest, that is the case in each conference. You can't tell me Michigan State fans really look forward to seeing Maryland and/or Rutgers come to town. Now, tOSU and Michigan...totally different story. Same for TCU fans. They are much more interested in seeing OU and Texas come to Cowtown than Iowa State and Tech.

That is true to some extent. When TT comes to FW, it's just as big as OU or UT coming. TT has its largest alumni base in D/FW. Techtards take over FW the way OU and UT does. Red and black and drunk Techtards everywhere for a weekend. ISU also travels very well. Went to the ISU/TCU game the 1st year TCU joined the Big 12 and there were more ISU fans in the stands than TCU.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 and there were more ISU fans in the stands than TCU.
TCU fans could care less about seeing ISU.

And you are probably right about the other since there is a shit pot full of Tech fans in the metroplex. But, I guarantee you ISU fans would much rather see OU and Texas than Tech or TCU.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, expansion is going to happen and prob gonna be 4. Too much money for us not too. Another reason OU and Texas wont be paying the conference to move when they can stay put and make even more money than they are.

This Week In College Sports Biz: ACC Network Announced, Big 12 Expansion Talk Renewed And More

No question money is better as of now for the teams to stay but eventually the TV bubble is going to burst in a horrible way. Which is about the only thing good I can say about the Pac12 network, it has failed as of now but is still set up greatly once ESPN goes under and the partnership with Fox when Fox will be the big dog with money.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather watch Texas play Cincy. We can always play UofH in OOC. Big 12 doesn't expand its brand by inviting Houston....
If I'm looking through the eyes of JUST a Texas fan I would agree but from FOX/FS1-2 (our TV partners) point of view UH/Texas is one thing, UH/TCU or Baylor ect. For content is a much better product as far as national interest than Cincy/TCU or Cincy/Texas Tech ect.
Cincy WVU is a good FS1 type of matchup but (not Cincy's fault) Cincy just doesn't move the needle for Texas/Midwestern folks like UH will and nationally UH vs the regionals is more interesting as well.

I don't like BYU because of their location but when it comes to the tv people and eyeballs BYU is going to have to do something pretty stupid not to get an invite IMO, just too many eyeballs to lose for FOX.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe it or not most WVU folks feel the same about Cincy as the Texas folks do about UH. They would rather not deal with another P5 quite THAT close to our normal recruiting grounds for both football and basketball. Some feel the same about not adding any of the FL schools for the same reasons, we get a lot of talent out of Florida and have for years.

IMHO if you were to ask our coaches behind closed doors Memphis and ECU would prob be their choice as far as not hurting our recruiting but that line of thinking would be JUST for WVU and not for the well being of the conference.

:dingdingding:

Exactly.

Cincy as a P5 member will not affect the recruiting of the big boys in the region such as Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Penn State.... but.... it will somewhat hurt the regional recruiting of Pitt, West Virginia, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, and others who rely heavily on Ohio recruits. These same schools (and others) will also be somewhat hurt if UCF and/or USF become P5 members because of the reliance on Florida recruits.

So, I would guess that most of these Great Lakes/Ohio Valley regional schools would prefer to keep Cincinnati, UCF, and USF out of the P5, and will most likely be rooting for BYU, Houston, Colorado State, Boise State, and even Memphis to make the jump to the Big XII.

On the other hand, schools such as Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, Nebraska, etc., who somewhat rely on Texas recruiting, are probably not too fond of the idea of Houston becoming a P5 member.

Last edited:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but when it comes to the tv people and eyeballs BYU is going to have to do something pretty stupid not to get an invite IMO, just too many eyeballs to lose for FOX.
And those eyeballs are all over the world, not just in the US!

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know that is not how it works in Texas.

Big 12 has never done anything for the brand. Is the LHN for the benefit of the Brand of the Big 12? If you answer yes to that one, WOW.

The Policitians have spoken. I bet the governor did the old Permanent University Fund threat, that they have done before.
The Billionaires have made their back room deals.
Texas President is on board.
Texas Tech President is on board.
Boren is happy to see expansion, he is on board. As someone else stated, he would look like a buffoon if he voted against it. Oklahoma State follows Texas and Oklahoma.
TCU and Baylor, the back room deals are happening and I am willing to bet Baylor is making them fast and furious to get out of the problems they made for themselves.

Houston is in. Book it.

Now, the politicians loyal to Rice and SMU are thinking they have a chance to rejoin the gang in the next 20 years.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know that is not how it works in Texas.

Big 12 has never done anything for the brand. Is the LHN for the benefit of the Brand of the Big 12? If you answer yes to that one, WOW.

The Policitians have spoken. I bet the governor did the old Permanent University Fund threat, that they have done before.
The Billionaires have made their back room deals.
Texas President is on board.
Texas Tech President is on board.
Boren is happy to see expansion, he is on board. As someone else stated, he would look like a buffoon if he voted against it. Oklahoma State follows Texas and Oklahoma.
TCU and Baylor, the back room deals are happening and I am willing to bet Baylor is making them fast and furious to get out of the problems they made for themselves.

Houston is in. Book it.

Now, the politicians loyal to Rice and SMU are thinking they have a chance to rejoin the gang in the next 20 years.

LHN has nothing to do with the brand of the Big 12. It's 3rd tier rights related, just like OU, KSU, KU and WVU's 3rd tier rights deal. With that being said, once all 5 schools 3rd tier rights contracts have expired, the conference can then review if a conference network will be beneficial. If the conference hasn't expanded the brand in 10 years, then there is no reason to create a conference network, hence the reason why I said UofH brings nothing to the table to expand the conference brand. The governor didn't issue out a threat regarding the PUF, nor will he ever, as he is a Longhorn alum. Anyway, Houston is an awful invite if it happens.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LHN has nothing to do with the brand of the Big 12. It's 3rd tier rights related, just like OU, KSU, KU and WVU's 3rd tier rights deal. With that being said, once all 5 schools 3rd tier rights contracts have expired, the conference can then review if a conference network will be beneficial. If the conference hasn't expanded the brand in 10 years, then there is no reason to create a conference network, hence the reason why I said UofH brings nothing to the table to expand the conference brand. The governor didn't issue out a threat regarding the PUF, nor will he ever, as he is a Longhorn alum. Anyway, Houston is an awful invite if it happens.

I don't think Houston adds anything. But I don't see the conference lasting past the GOR anyway.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Houston adds anything. But I don't see the conference lasting past the GOR anyway.

Same here. Time to blow it up. I'm in favor of the Big 12 staying in tact, but if people aren't happy, then blow it up. Let everybody fend for themselves. If the conference does blow up, Texas needs to look out for themselves and not try to save the conference or try to find a home for other members the way they did last time.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here. Time to blow it up. I'm in favor of the Big 12 staying in tact, but if people aren't happy, then blow it up. Let everybody fend for themselves. If the conference does blow up, Texas needs to look out for themselves and not try to save the conference or try to find a home for other members the way they did last time.

I believe OU and Texas are a package deal.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Big Ten Network. Brand.
SEC Network. Brand.
PAC 12 Network. Brand.
ACC Network. Brand.
BYUtv. Brand.
Notre Dame on NBC. Brand.
Longhorn Network. Brand.

What is missing? No brand for the Big 12 Network.

The Big 12 allowed the formation of the LHN, to the detriment of the BRAND of the Big 12 conference. For me, the Brand of the Big 12 is seen as dysfunctional. 2010, 2011, 2016 all form the Brand of how the Big 12 operates. Drama.

Houston is the worst move the Big 12 can do, but politics does not care about that whatsoever. The State of Texas and Politics is all about egos.

Houston is in. Houston is buying its way into the Big 12 via backroom deals, not involving the States of Kansas, Iowa, or West Virginia.

As always we agree to disagree.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ten Network. Brand.
SEC Network. Brand.
PAC 12 Network. Brand.
ACC Network. Brand.
BYUtv. Brand.
Notre Dame on NBC. Brand.
Longhorn Network. Brand.

What is missing? No brand for the Big 12 Network.

The Big 12 allowed the formation of the LHN, to the detriment of the BRAND of the Big 12 conference. For me, the Brand of the Big 12 is seen as dysfunctional. 2010, 2011, 2016 all form the Brand of how the Big 12 operates. Drama.

Houston is the worst move the Big 12 can do, but politics does not care about that whatsoever. The State of Texas and Politics is all about egos.

Houston is in. Houston is buying its way into the Big 12 via backroom deals, not involving the States of Kansas, Iowa, or West Virginia.

As always we agree to disagree.

Not just the LHN, but the Sooner Network, Mountaineer network, Wildcat Network, & Jayhawk network. OU, WVU and KU all have lucrative 3rd tier deals (about $9M a year). Let us not forget how Nebraska was not in favor of a conference network when Weiberg wanted the conference to vote in favor of one back in '06, as you guys were flirting with the idea of creating your own network 1st.