• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best RB handcuffs for 2024

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TREFF is pretty spot on with his RB takes but I whole-heartedly disagree with Pancheco being a 'maybe' he as much as 'probably' as anyone on that list. CEH is trash and beyond that is Zammitt who is the definition of a longshot.
Jones should likely be a 'probably' as well - unless health gets in the way.
You're probably right. Outside of obviously being superior to CEH, I've just never really thought much of Pacheco. His game has some glaring holes in it, but undeniable that until proven otherwise, he is THE guy. Can't argue against that

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're probably right. Outside of obviously being superior to CEH, I've just never really thought much of Pacheco. His game has some glaring holes in it, but undeniable that until proven otherwise, he is THE guy. Can't argue against that
I think the main thing he has going for him (outside of being the best they have on the roster) is that Andy kind of likes his grit. Now admittedly, much of his success belongs to Reid and his ability to scheme plays in his favor - he has always had that ability. He's made more out of guys like Spencer Ware than anyone else could. Would Pach be the starter on other teams? Perhaps, perhaps not.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, wrong or indifferent, I saw an article somewhere that stated one of the reasons Andy wanted to sign Zammitt was due to the new kickoff rules. Can't remember where that was - but it would certainly indicate that he feels the he can contribute soon in that area. ... I can certainly see that given the rugby background - Reid's always thinking.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had Pacheco in a couple of leagues. He git touches and at times was explosive. But never seemed to be the redzone guy. He'd get double digit fantasy points which is hard to complain about. But a few more TD would have bumped him into the 20-point range.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Dillon in best shape of his life according to his coaches!

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Dillon in best shape of his life according to his coaches!
Considering he was nearly a Mr Olympia contestant already, I can only imagine what 'best shape of his life' looks like. It'd be awesome if that would translate into being a good football player again, like it almost did in '21

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in order to be considered a "handcuff" you can't have any standalone value whatsoever unless the first guy gets hurt, which leaves all of the committee guys out. I think the clear answer is Tyler Allgeier and it's not even close. His ADP right now is 159 but if Robinson gets hurt, he will be a top 12 running back.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to contradict myself, but if i did have the bench space, i would target the backup to the older guys like Mixon, Barkley and Henry.

I think @Bandit is when it comes to Algeier too.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to contradict myself, but if i did have the bench space, i would target the backup to the older guys like Mixon, Barkley and Henry.

I think @Bandit is when it comes to Algeier too.
Barkley is 27, is 27 considered older nowadays? Rookie Blake Corum is 24 but most are 22. I've noticed that FF owners get nervous about RBS age at a lower and lower thresh hold, use to be 30 was when owners wanted to unload a RB. So now 26 is the magic number to unload a RB?

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barkley is 27, is 27 considered older nowadays? Rookie Blake Corum is 24 but most are 22. I've noticed that FF owners get nervous about RBS age at a lower and lower thresh hold, use to be 30 was when owners wanted to unload a RB. So now 26 is the magic number to unload a RB?

The return value typically determines these thresholds, imo.

If you can't get anything of value for your 29/30yr old RBs on the trade market, next step would be to try trading away RBs a notch younger.

There should only be 3-4 teams seriously putting a trade package together for Barkley in any given dynasty league. The rest of the owners are better off not paying a high price on RBs that only have a couple seasons left

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The return value typically determines these thresholds, imo.

If you can't get anything of value for your 29/30yr old RBs on the trade market, next step would be to try trading away RBs a notch younger.

There should only be 3-4 teams seriously putting a trade package together for Barkley in any given dynasty league. The rest of the owners are better off not paying a high price on RBs that only have a couple seasons left
Is 27 considered a older player though? Is 26? Just trying to get a feel how other view the age thing with RBs. Joe seems to consider 27 older for a RB. If he's 26 would Joe still consider him older type? @averagejoe

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I wouldn't call Barkley an 'older' player, but he does have a ton of touches, and a lengthy injury history, so either way, it's a justified call to target his backup- Gainwell I would assume? who probably has the tiniest bit of standalone value anyways. He's probably good for minimum 5 points even when Barkley plays

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barkley is 27, is 27 considered older nowadays?
I use the 1800 rule, not necessarily age. But since most dont know what i'm talking about if i said "1800 rule" its easier to say "old."

Old as in mileage.

Someone (dont know who or if i can find it) wrote an article and found that after a RB has 1800 carries, his efficiency and production drops.

I personally have broadened the 1800 to include all touches including receptions.

Doesnt mean they still wont get used (or used up). Henry is already there. Mixon is there including the recpetions. And Barkley to my embarrassment is about 400 touches away.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I wouldn't call Barkley an 'older' player, but he does have a ton of touches, and a lengthy injury history, so either way, it's a justified call to target his backup- Gainwell I would assume? who probably has the tiniest bit of standalone value anyways. He's probably good for minimum 5 points even when Barkley plays
His injury history does come into play, for me at least.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is 27 considered a older player though? Is 26? Just trying to get a feel how other view the age thing with RBs. Joe seems to consider 27 older for a RB. If he's 26 would Joe still consider him older type? @averagejoe
It's interesting you ask that question because '22-23 showed that some of those older guys (27-30) can still play at a reasonably high level. Hell the Rams went out and got Henderson off his couch and made him a workhorse a couple yrs back. Seems with the number of committees steadily increasing, a steady reasonable level is enough to get you wins. Also seems, teams will tend to lean on the older guys longer in games than their younger counterparts (just because they can).
I guess what I'm trying to say is if a guy is still productive and in a good situation (regardless of age) he's likely to produce. Yes there's an obvious cliff - but that number is driven as much by trade value as production (in fantasy). I cut-bait on Henry 2 yrs ago (age/mileage), yet he still produced at a higher than many rookie/2nd yr guy rates. ...

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's something to think about/debate as well.

Given all the committees, and the unicorn appearance of a back getting 20+ carries per game on average-which is basically only Derrick Henry these days- do we need to adjust the expectations of age related down turn? 'Back in the day' where virtually every team's Rb was getting a ton of touches every games, guys weren't just trending down at 30, but friggin dead on arrival at 30 usually. Of course the rare exceptions of guys leek Emmitt Smith were out there, but as a rule, 30 was the end of the line. Does that still hold true, assuming Derrick Henry is still the unicorn and can't be used as the measuring stick, does a 250-280 touch season for 6-8 years still equate to a has been at 30 like a 350-400+ touch season for 6-8 years used to?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess what I'm trying to say is if a guy is still productive and in a good situation (regardless of age) he's likely to produce. Yes there's an obvious cliff - but that number is driven as much by trade value as production (in fantasy). I cut-bait on Henry 2 yrs ago (age/mileage), yet he still produced at a higher than many rookie/2nd yr guy rates. ...
Your reply is sort of why I ask the question and Henry is a perfect example. He's been traded in FF yearly lately (last 2-3 rears), not because he wasn't producing but of fear of that cliff. No one wants to be holding the bag when that happens. So even though a RB is still producing as he nears a age he gets put on the trade block and that "age" has gone down. I do think folks get nervous when their stud RB gets 27 and it is about trade value really. Use to be you had to move a RB the year before he hit 30, but of course then folks didn't want a 29 year old so much, so then RBs at 28 were put on the block. Now it's moved to 27 it seems.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I should have moved McCaffery last yr :-)D) but I'm a bit more stubborn at this point in life (27-28 just seems awfully young to me). But the truth is that I couldn't buy the production he gave me last yr. Now this yr comes and his value (trade-wise in dynasty) takes another hit, the following yr it'll be even lower. No one is going to offer a younger top-tier guy, (or very early 1st) for him that's given - as a result the choice is pretty simple; prepare for the future and ride the wave for as long as it last. .... just like in the NFL. Don't fear the cliff - prep for it.