• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Besides the Lakers and Celtics, who are the storied NBA franchises?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did a thread like this in the NFL board. I have a feeling that this one will be a little different because I don't think there are as many storied NBA teams as there are storied NFL teams. We obviously don't need to waste time nominating the Lakers and Celtics as they have 34 combined NBA championships and 53 combined Finals appearances. Those two are arguably the only storied franchises in NBA history, but what other teams do you believe are storied and why?

In the NFL board, I followed up the initial thread with a poll asking who were the top 10 most storied NFL franchises. For the NBA, maybe the poll should only ask for the top 5. Should it be more? Thanks.

Edit: Use whatever criteria you want. Also, we can count the pre-NBA histories of current NBA teams.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really respected the Philadelphia 76ers when I was following the Celts closely years ago.
I'll go with them

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting topic. I think it comes down to how one defines "storied".

Is it titles?

I think most consider the Knicks "storied". But they have 2 titles in their history and none since 1973. So there are several teams that have more titles, but aren't considered storied.

Is it teams that you can't tell the story of the NBA without including them?

You can't tell the story of the NBA without MJ's Bulls. But with their success basically being crammed into an 8 year window...can they be considered storied?

Guess I'll go with Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, Sixers for now.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sixers have that depth of time but truth be told, the “real” history of Philadelphia basketball is rooted more in colleges and the players that have “come up” through Philly ball more so than the Sixers being the basketball flagship around here. The Sixers used to be a piss poor draw around here. Allen Iverson is the guy that changed that.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is it titles?

I think most consider the Knicks "storied". But they have 2 titles in their history and none since 1973. So there are several teams that have more titles, but aren't considered storied.

You can't tell the story of the NBA without MJ's Bulls. But with their success basically being crammed into an 8 year window...can they be considered storied?

I want this as open-ended as possible. Use whatever standard and consider anything you want. Pre-NBA histories of current NBA teams can count, too, if you want.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that it is not really "storied" teams, but I'd go with teams that you can't tell the story of the NBA without. Teams that embody the changing of the game. Obviously, the Celtics and Lakers. Then pre and after the merger I'd say Dr. J and the 76's who highlighted the flash of the nba that led to Showtime. Then the Piston that were the hard hitting D that slowed down that flash. Then the Bulls who were able to overcome that defense. Then, although superteams have always been around, I'd have the Heat as the embodiment of that and finally the Warriors who were are the embodiment of the run and gun. All earned championships and are remembered for how the game was played in their era.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is it titles?

I think your list is right, then just add the Bulls and that's 5. Like you said you can't tell the story of the NBA without MJ and the Bulls, so that makes them a 'storied' franchise

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll nominate the Spurs. Pop is very influential, and you have Tim Duncan, George Gervin, David Robinson. They are one of the ABA teams that got invited into the NBA. In addition to 5 titles, they went 18 straight seasons of 50 regular season wins or more (which likely would've been 20 straight seasons if 1998-1999 were a normal NBA season).

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want this as open-ended as possible. Use whatever standard and consider anything you want. Pre-NBA histories of current NBA teams can count, too, if you want.

Yeah, I was just throwing out a few different things to look at and those weren't all that I could think of. lol

I hope it gets a lot of responses. It'll be interesting to see what folks come up with. Especially with a bunch of "hoops junkies" like we have here.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you go by NBA playoff wins there is a distinct 8 teams

LA
Boston

then

Philly
San Antonio
Detroit
NY
GS
Chicago

The top two are exceptionally clear the other 6 I'd put in the same boat. Some have more titles others have had better periods of longevity.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think your list is right, then just add the Bulls and that's 5. Like you said you can't tell the story of the NBA without MJ and the Bulls, so that makes them a 'storied' franchise

Yup. The MJ Bulls will live forever in the minds of basketball fans.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Sixers in this, but they've kinda been irrelevant in the last 30 years or so. Sure they've made a Finals and a few Conference Finals but that wouldn't be enough to be classed as 'Storied' imo

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really respected the Philadelphia 76ers when I was following the Celts closely years ago.
I'll go with them

I believe the Sixers and Celtics had much respect for each other. I think the Beat LA chant actually came from Celtics fans wishing the Sixers well in the NBA Finals, or was it the other way around?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the Sixers and Celtics had much respect for each other. I think the Beat LA chant actually came from Celtics fans wishing the Sixers well in the NBA Finals, or was it the other way around?
We hate the Celtics. They hate the Lakers more. That’s what that was about.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was just throwing out a few different things to look at and those weren't all that I could think of. lol

I hope it gets a lot of responses. It'll be interesting to see what folks come up with. Especially with a bunch of "hoops junkies" like we have here.

I hope we get at least 10 teams nominated so that a top 5 poll will be worth doing.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We hate the Celtics. They hate the Lakers more. That’s what that was about.
You know you're great when other team's fans can't stand you lol...

When I first followed football I flat out despised the Dallas Cowboys for example...

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll nominate the Spurs. Pop is very influential, and you have Tim Duncan, George Gervin, David Robinson. They are one of the ABA teams that got invited into the NBA. In addition to 5 titles, they went 18 straight seasons of 50 regular season wins or more (which likely would've been 20 straight seasons if 1998-1999 were a normal NBA season).
This.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we get at least 10 teams nominated so that a top 5 poll will be worth doing.

5 is tough to narrow it down to imo. First team on my list I'd eliminate is NY if so.

If we are talking "storied" the Heat haven't been around long enough. Weren't on my list for that reason.

But gun to my head it's

Boston
LA
GS
SA
DET
CHI
Philly
NY

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't recall who came up with it but it sure was fun in those days.
Great games!