• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bennett

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I value Michael Bennett as much, if not more, than anyone else on this forum, but from a financial standpoint I just don't see the logic in tying $10m a year up in him when we have the contracts of Thomas, Sherman and Wilson coming up.

$8m is the upper limit on where I believe it still makes sense to bring Bennett back.

I really would love to have him back, but at $10m a year it doesn't make sense.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks gave up the fewest points in the league and sure Bennett helped but he is only one guy and i believe most of us think the D will be fine going into next season.

Many of the guys will have another year under their young belt and improve,plus we get to look at some guys from last years draft that will have more play time if not starting some.

I tend to think we go Offense this year on the Line and of course WR.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I value Michael Bennett as much, if not more, than anyone else on this forum, but from a financial standpoint I just don't see the logic in tying $10m a year up in him when we have the contracts of Thomas, Sherman and Wilson coming up.

$8m is the upper limit on where I believe it still makes sense to bring Bennett back.

I really would love to have him back, but at $10m a year it doesn't make sense.

I'm not so sure that's true. This year's cap is at 133m and the word coming out was it is expected to be around 140m next year and 150m in 2016. If the league's revenue expansion is going up at that rate I'm not sure that long term deals, especially those that might be back loaded (and more likely to be dumped if the majority isn't guaranteed) are going to hurt the signing of the others over the next year or so.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure that's true. This year's cap is at 133m and the word coming out was it is expected to be around 140m next year and 150m in 2016. If the league's revenue expansion is going up at that rate I'm not sure that long term deals, especially those that might be back loaded (and more likely to be dumped if the majority isn't guaranteed) are going to hurt the signing of the others over the next year or so.
Wilson alone is going to get an 18 mill raise probably which will more than eat up any increase in cap space by himself

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks are going to have to continue to kill it in the draft IMO. The cap raise isn't going to work in favor of teams doing well. Players expect big pay raises and other teams are just waiting to pluck players from good teams. That the way it goes.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson alone is going to get an 18 mill raise probably which will more than eat up any increase in cap space by himself

Right, but if the estimate for next year is true it is only 11m more than this year and if they manage to get Thomas and Sherman done this year there won't be that much more work to do next year. If either of those other two aren't done then there is more, but again I'd back load anything with Bennett and look to cut him before it gets costly anyway. I mean isn't that what teams do anymore?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunate if he does go to the Bears.

Not a surprise, though, because that's where his brother is and we all knew it was a possibility as long as the Bears were interested and felt like they could do it financially, which seems to be the case.

PistolHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator: