• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bennett

AZhawks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Multiple sources say the Hawks offered Bennett a contract and that he will test free agency, leaving the deal on the table. No numbers were given. Not sure what to think about this. If they numbers were decent, I say screw him, let him walk, its apparent money is his main concern.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all knew they weren't going back up the Brinks truck for him. Cant blame him for wanting to see what else is out there, that's what I would do in his situation. I'm still hopeful that he'll find the deal here satisfactory after he looks around a bit.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't surprising even if the Hawks are overpaying he should test free agency. This is likely his only chance at a big contract. He has signed 1 year deals the last two years and is coming off a monster year where he helped lead the #1 defense to a Super Bowl. Why shouldn't he see what's out there, he's earned that.
I don't take this as him saying no to the Seahawks, and this doesn't mean he doesn't still resign. Honestly nothing is guaranteed in the NFL so I don't blame him at all.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He signed for cheap with the Seahawks for a chance just like this. I'd love to see him back, but we'll have to see what his market value ends up being. He had a good year and the cap just got a big bump, but lots of other pass rushers on the market also, so we'll see what happens.

However it works out is fine by me. It's a business, so I don't blame Bennett for trying to cashing in and I don't condemn the Seahawks for having a limit for signing him.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with Bennett testing FA, can't blame the guy for looking for his last big payday. As long as management doesn't give him a slap in the face type contract like the Eagles did to Brian Dawkins, then there is a good chance he could resign and compete for a Super Bowl.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't say screw you guys I'm out of here, he said let's see what else is out there. Who can blame him? According to rappaport the offer was 'competitive' and he didn't leave it saying no. He said let's see what else is out there. Let him test the waters and see if anything else excites him.

The question is would he really leave for say just a million more or something to go to a team as bad as the Raiders? Would he give a tie to Seattle on most teams and actually take a little less to not go to a total dumpster fire. I'm sure those details will eventually come out.

I'm just not going to worry about it until we hear something new.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have faith in our FO to do what is best for the team. They know his value to the club. I hope we can keep him.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey all the hawks can do is just offer him a respectable contract if he wants to still leave for a little extra money then I say let him walk...

this defense was good before he came here and will be good next year with or without him were not built on one player

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and if he does leave and jared allen is still out there then offer him the same contract he made it very clear he wants to play for a contending team he threw out some names (seahawks, broncos, patriots)

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disappointing to hear as I feel like there is a team out there that will pay him more than he's worth. Hope he comes back, but I won't blame him at all for taking more money if that's what ends up happening.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really would hate to see Bennett leave, but we still have Avril, Mebane, and could look for some other cheaper free agents. Considering that Seattle has only really been interested in wide receivers at combine leads me to believe they will go that route but if Bennett leaves they may look to the draft to 'replace (if possible 1st year)' Bennett's production. May see a bit more of Irvin lining up at Leo or DE on passing downs and bringing in Smith at linebacker to help.

It would be tough to sign Bennett, Wilson, Thomas (ext), and Sherman though... Okung wont command much more than he already is and Miller I bet re-structures. Outside of that I don't see us getting in too much cap trouble.

I bet Seattle offered Bennett something like 5 years $40-45M, 20 guaranteed but who knows. He was already 1 year $5M and far outperformed that.... I could see some team offering him 6 years $60M, $25 guaranteed which I think is overpaying. Bennett still had Clemons/Mebane/Avril rushing on passing downs which is far superior to what a lot of teams offer.

We will have to see....

Chawkdawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also hope we can work something out with him, he's a nice player. If we can't, I have great faith in John and Pete's ability to fill that spot with someone who wants to be a hawk.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this is anything to be concerned about. There was no way the Seahawks were going to sign Bennett before free agency unless they made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Bennett testing free agency isn't a sign that he doesn't like the Seahawk's contract...he's just curious and wants to see what his value is out there.

If it's true that the Seahawks offered him something close to Paul Kruger's deal (pivotal d-end that helped contribute to a superbowl contender) then we're probably going to be able to sign him. My only fear was that the Seahawks were going to low ball him. But Kruger's 8 mil a year is a solid starting point. We can easily up it to 8.5. Who else is able to offer more than that besides lousy teams?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to know the numbers the Seahawks threw at him… I get the feeling someone is gonna overpay for him and he's gone… So be it if that's the case we move on… He did a good job for us but he's taking the strictly business approach right now and I don't think he really cares if he's playing for the Raiders and long as he get's paid…

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't say screw you guys I'm out of here, he said let's see what else is out there. Who can blame him? According to rappaport the offer was 'competitive' and he didn't leave it saying no. He said let's see what else is out there. Let him test the waters and see if anything else excites him.

The question is would he really leave for say just a million more or something to go to a team as bad as the Raiders? Would he give a tie to Seattle on most teams and actually take a little less to not go to a total dumpster fire. I'm sure those details will eventually come out.

I'm just not going to worry about it until we hear something new.

My thoughts exactly.

If I'm a free agent I would do the exact same thing. The logical thing to do would be to see what the Seahawks have to offer in comparison to the rest of the NFL.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ProFootballTalk · 51s
An NFC West bidding war could be coming between the 49ers and Seahawks for DE Michael Bennett. Story coming at PFT.

harbaugh would love to stick it to seattle by landing him...

Interesting to say the least.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ProFootballTalk · 51s
An NFC West bidding war could be coming between the 49ers and Seahawks for DE Michael Bennett. Story coming at PFT.

harbaugh would love to stick it to seattle by landing him...

Interesting to say the least.

Oh great, another story created out of thin air. If Seattle can't afford him, SF can't.

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts exactly.

If I'm a free agent I would do the exact same thing. The logical thing to do would be to see what the Seahawks have to offer in comparison to the rest of the NFL.

AND, after you get an offer, come back and show the Hawks what you have been offered to see if they will match or at least come close?

I, like some others, think he will be overpaid by someone and probably not be back, but we will have to wait and see.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh great, another story created out of thin air. If Seattle can't afford him, SF can't.

Hmm well technically they have more cap available than us, and we did give him an offer, so maybe. He would be an amazing replacement for Justin Smith (ugh) but I doubt he goes there. San Fran has secondary issues and Kaep/Crabs/Aldon/Iupati are going to command some cash.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope SF does pay too much and takes Bennett then. After Kaepernick gets through raping them and they overpay for Bennett they have far less to deal with the depth issues they already had. The more they overpay in desperation to get back ahead of Seattle, the farther they will end up from actually getting there due to depth issues.