• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bennet Resigns!!

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More good news on the wire:

TE Anthony McCoy has agreed to terms to stay in Seattle. Looks like they are confident he'll be back and contributing in 2014.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
prob a 1 year deal for McCoy. Should have minimal impact to cap.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great day for the Hawks. :suds:

https://twitter.com/mosesbread72/statuses/443116564967989248

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jock tax only applies to the tax paid when playing in away states. Standard income tax is the only tax that athletes pay at home.

Jock tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What I wonder is if a player plays in his home state but at an away game, do they pay this tax? For instance, does a Raider player pay it when he plays an away game in SD?
Not entirely true. Sosa attempted to sue the state if Illinois for double taxing for not giving him as much of a break on his taxes from them as he was forced to spend on the tax in other states. The judge agreed he was being double taxed but said there was nothing they could do about it.

So on paper the jock tax doesn't hurt them more, but in practice it does.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news. I'm really happy to have Bennett back, and at 4 years $28.5m is a bargain. I was under the impression that Bennett was going to command $9m to $10m per year considering the contract that Griffen signed with the Vikings.

Good deal and happy to have him back. I have to wonder if this means Clemons is on the chopping block now.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news. I'm really happy to have Bennett back, and at 4 years $28.5m is a bargain. I was under the impression that Bennett was going to command $9m to $10m per year considering the contract that Griffen signed with the Vikings.

Good deal and happy to have him back. I have to wonder if this means Clemons is on the chopping block now.

Almost a guarantee. I know they have some younger players they are looking at pushing to step up on the D line and who knows what else they have up their sleeves, but Clemons has to be expendable.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost a guarantee. I know they have some younger players they are looking at pushing to step up on the D line and who knows what else they have up their sleeves, but Clemons has to be expendable.

With the way that Malcolm Smith played at linebacker I wonder if they will shift Bruce Irvin back to DE and use him on passing downs like they did during his rookie year.

I'm hoping they retain Zach Miller, he was valuable as a blocker and is still a very capable receiving TE, just under-utilized. Luke Willson showed promise but I'm not sure that he is ready for a starting role just yet.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WizardHawk;4631143[B said:
]I'm sure Clemons will be gone by tomorrow[/B]. They weren't going to let him go until they had the Bennett deal done, but I'd be shocked if he stays on the team.

Several outlet said Miller was also a done deal, but I don't trust the media when it comes to our in house stuff as they are wrong so often.

Tomorrow? Maybe,
or maybe a bit later, but he will get released for cap reasons IMO. I think Miller fate depends if the Seahawks end up needing the cap space to resign some guys they want to stick around. For example if tomorrow Tate signs, lets say with the Jets, then maybe there is no need to release Miller, but if he ends up resigning with the Seahawks, maybe they end up needing that cap space. Tate is just one example, it could be McDonald, etc.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More good news on the wire:

TE Anthony McCoy has agreed to terms to stay in Seattle. Looks like they are confident he'll be back and contributing in 2014.

That's why I figured they'd be okay even if they cut Miller. McCoy was showing signs of improvement before he got hurt and with Willson's solid rookie season, it made Miller expendable. He wasn't going to be making huge money this year, so it wasn't going to be a back breaker if they had to keep him, but now they can feel more confident in their situation at TE without him and use that money elsewhere. My guess is that it would go towards re-signing Tate.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not entirely true. Sosa attempted to sue the state if Illinois for double taxing for not giving him as much of a break on his taxes from them as he was forced to spend on the tax in other states. The judge agreed he was being double taxed but said there was nothing they could do about it.

So on paper the jock tax doesn't hurt them more, but in practice it does.

So Illinois was jock taxing him for Cubs home games? Or for away games in Illinois?

Everything I have read imply that its just for away games, depending on the state where the game is played.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Illinois was jock taxing him for Cubs home games? Or for away games in Illinois?

Everything I have read imply that its just for away games, depending on the state where the game is played.

No. The whole jock tax system is a fucking joke, but no two states do it the same way. It is supposed to be setup so that you deduct whatever tax you paid to other states off your home state income tax. Problem is it doesn't work out that way.

Say you pay 50k to Cali for trips there. You are supposed to be able to claim and reduce your home tax by that amount, but sometimes they aren't getting full credit and are only able to claim a small amount of it. If you can only claim 25k you are getting double taxed.

Some states only charge it if the state you work in also charges them, others charge everyone. The whole system is a total and complete mess and various organizations have been calling for an end to the practice for years.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now let's get Tate back… Keep some of these core guys intact… I for one am a huge Golden Tate fan and thought he brought allot of attitude and toughness to our receiving corp… As long as he doesn't ask for the bank and is wiling to keep our Kap space somewhat reasonable get the man...

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I figured they'd be okay even if they cut Miller. McCoy was showing signs of improvement before he got hurt and with Willson's solid rookie season, it made Miller expendable. He wasn't going to be making huge money this year, so it wasn't going to be a back breaker if they had to keep him, but now they can feel more confident in their situation at TE without him and use that money elsewhere. My guess is that it would go towards re-signing Tate.

The nice thing about Miller and Rice were both their contracts ended up having a more minimal dead money impact releasing them this year. I think Miller may be back with a restructured deal. This team does need more offensive weapons, not less.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Clemons will most likely be gone, his cap savings are $7.5M or something thereabouts. I don't believe he's due a roster bonus any time soon though (if at all) so it's not like it's a pressing issue to cut him until they are right up against the cap. I'd like to see Clemons back, he looked like he was just starting to get into a groove at the end of last year and was dominant in the playoffs, but that cap hit is probably going to be just too much to hang on to.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett was interviewed on the radio this afternoon and had quite the long conversation with Ian Furness.

Of course he did say the main reason he wanted to stay was the fans, but he did talk a lot about his teammates and the coaches. They asked him who the biggest recruiter was in terms of players calling him to try to talk him into staying. He said Sherman :laugh3: He said Richard was calling him at least twice a day and was going on for a while about it. They asked him for an example of the things he would say and his reply was "I was nearly defensive player of the year and if you come back I'm sure I'll get it next year." :lol: That Sherman is something else isn't he?

Interestingly enough the talk about taxes did come up. He said he had expected a call from Obama about getting him to come to Chicago. When Ian asked him what the president would have had to have said to get him to come his reply was no illinois taxes. He agreed that not having an income tax here was something that was considered, but of course down played how much.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett was interviewed on the radio this afternoon and had quite the long conversation with Ian Furness.

Of course he did say the main reason he wanted to stay was the fans, but he did talk a lot about his teammates and the coaches. They asked him who the biggest recruiter was in terms of players calling him to try to talk him into staying. He said Sherman :laugh3: He said Richard was calling him at least twice a day and was going on for a while about it. They asked him for an example of the things he would say and his reply was "I was nearly defensive player of the year and if you come back I'm sure I'll get it next year." :lol: That Sherman is something else isn't he?

Interestingly enough the talk about taxes did come up. He said he had expected a call from Obama about getting him to come to Chicago. When Ian asked him what the president would have had to have said to get him to come his reply was no illinois taxes. He agreed that not having an income tax here was something that was considered, but of course down played how much.

I was just going to post that,,,Sherman was begging him to stay and to take a small cut lol.

Rodger-Sherman-Dancing.gif

2013-12-1512_13_42.gif

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam Monson @PFF_Sam
Follow
Michael Bennett looks to have really taken a discount to stay in Seattle. No way he doesn't get more on the open market.

k-medium.gif

08c0c0b22380ff73014f7aa154b91f54.gif

tumblr_mnbuhy27XO1r3s0kxo3_250.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feels like Bennett was the 1st piece in getting the off season going. The fact that they were able to get him at a little lower then we thought is a bonus. Now we can concentrating on figuring out things like Tate, McDonald/Daniel, restructuring/cutting Miller and Clemons and extending ET and Sherman. If we lost Bennett the D-Line would have had to be reworked a little bit and more emphasis would have been needed there.