• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bennet Resigns!!

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And look at the way it's structured to perfection assist with our projected cap going forward.

Schneidered!!!!! Boom!!!!

Quote from Bennett today: "I love the fans here and that was part of wanting to get another deal with the Seahawks. It's really exciting to be back with these guys and try to win another superbowl."

Icing on the cake. Bears and reported that one other team offered him much more money and he decided to stay. Even though he said this "Isn't Costco, and I'm not going to be taking some hometown discount", still looks like he turned down more money to stay here.
Couple of things there.

1. he did have injuries in the past and having 16M guaranteed might have been a huge selling point. He has protection against injury now.

2. You don't go into a negotiation telling the other side you will sign even if partially screwed. You just don't do it. Even if that's exactly what you want. Tate was a fucking moron for saying he would take a discount.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he was gonna get more money than that.

:(

Not too late for you to reject the dark side and join the force. I mean you already wore the right colors for a month and you wore it well.

:suds:

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too thought Bennett would walk for a ~$10M per contract. Absolutely love that they were able to keep him. Bennett is such a versatile and unique player that replacing him would have been difficult, IMO.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of things there.

1. he did have injuries in the past and having 16M guaranteed might have been a huge selling point. He has protection against injury now.

2. You don't go into a negotiation telling the other side you will sign even if partially screwed. You just don't do it. Even if that's exactly what you want. Tate was a fucking moron for saying he would take a discount.

Tate's up next.

Bennett was 1a and Tate is 1b for our FA signings this year. A team that's name keeps coming up as a Tate suitor is the Jets who might make a serious play for him. But choosing between those two franchises right now? No brainer. Hawks baby.

Tate's agent might of groaned when Tate made that comment, but at same time, Tate isn't going to get screwed. It also could of been part of the plan given his scenario.
He also could of done that simply to stimulate the market. Get teams interested in bidding if the opening numbers start slightly below market value. See if he can get a bidding war started, etc...

If we get Tate deal done over next couple days, thats Bennett, Baldwin, and Tate all wrapped up for 2014. Love it.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Bennett ✔ @mosesbread72
Follow
I m back I m happy super bow champ .The 12th man is the biggest reason I came back the best fan
1:09 PM - 10 Mar 2014
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Retweeted by Michael Bennett
Cliff Avril ‏@cliffavril 1h
Congrats to my brother Mike B on getting that deal... Now lets go get another ring patna pic.twitter.com/cj0hVd5Bra
Embedded image permalink

BiZAVNzIgAASOG_.jpg

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every article I've read about this has the final numbers going lower than the previous article, but I think it's safe to say that the $28.5 million currently being reported is the real final number as it comes with a year-by-year breakdown. Everything I'd read up to that point had just been the number of years and the total salary with no year-by-year breakdown. Assuming it is actually going to be 4 years, $28.5 million, that's a hell of a deal, especially since it looks like they're front-loading it to make room for our future priorities. I'm interested to see if they attempt to re-structure and extend Avril sometime this year or wait until his contract expires and see if they can bring him back cheaper that way. I'm assuming they'll want him beyond this coming season given how, along with Bennett and McDonald, instrumental he was in making the front 4 a dominant force.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admit i did not see this coming,,,so draft means they are not looking at rushers i bet,they must have some game plan (Of course) and the Bennett signing cleared something so they can grab someone out there that will play Day 1 i'd wager.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also have Williams and Hill coming back this year. D line depth is looking real good for 2014 already.

That being said, it's one less thing to worry about, and I think it clears up the draft situation a bit. But still, can't really know for sure until most of the FA is totally resolved. Still two months till the draft.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also have Williams and Hill coming back this year. D line depth is looking real good for 2014 already.

That being said, it's one less thing to worry about, and I think it clears up the draft situation a bit. But still, can't really know for sure until most of the FA is totally resolved. Still two months till the draft.

Yes,looking at Big Red released and the numbers it does make sense i guess in every way,this was a good deal imo.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great News! Welcome back, Michael

:suds:

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were right it is front loaded (I like those because they get the hit in cap out of the way).

$28.5 million deal with $16 million guaranteed. Bennett will earn $10 million in the first year, $6 million in the second year, $5 million in the third year, and $7.5 million in the final year.

That is very nice with the other signings that must be done so that we can have many years going deep into the playoffs.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got to thinking that maybe this signing also had to do with NO INCOME TAX here,could you imagine the hit you would take on 16 million in one year? i bet Chicago could not beat that even if they paid some more,i dunno i haven't done the math.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes,looking at Big Red released and the numbers it does make sense i guess in every way,this was a good deal imo.

When we landed Avril and Bennett, Bryant's role became mostly a very situational run stuffer. Now he's a beast in that role and guys like Gore breathed a slight sigh of relief knowing they don't have to deal with him clogging up that part of the lane anymore, but we simply aren't in a position to commit that much money to that limited of a role given the defensive depth on this team. I wish we could have him in there for 2014, but from a dollars and cap perspective, he became too much of a luxury to keep.

He got a very nice deal with the Jags so it all worked out. I'll miss Big Red being out there, but I don't think it is the type of impact that makes the difference between superbowl repeat or not.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like the front loaded part of the deal. Only counts half as much against the cap next year when we have so many big contracts coming due.
I am still skeptical about Tate getting big bucks though. We are short on cap room again unless we start looking at cutting Clemons, Miller, etc.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had done the math the other day and found at 8m/yr the tax rate in illinois would have been around 425k, but that doesn't include a jock tax if they have one and all but two states have that as well. We are one that does not, and I forget who the other is.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like the front loaded part of the deal. Only counts half as much against the cap next year when we have so many big contracts coming due.
I am still skeptical about Tate getting big bucks though. We are short on cap room again unless we start looking at cutting Clemons, Miller, etc.

I'm sure Clemons will be gone by tomorrow. They weren't going to let him go until they had the Bennett deal done, but I'd be shocked if he stays on the team.

Several outlet said Miller was also a done deal, but I don't trust the media when it comes to our in house stuff as they are wrong so often.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Almost every typical contract for WRs in his situation right now is 5 years. Wherever he signs, I expect it to be 5 years. But....
Will he command #1 WR money? No. That's why I think they'll work a deal that's designed like Bennetts to be cap friendly, but it won't bust the bank as WRs go. He's a great #2. Very useful and proven he can deliver at a NFL level, but he's not a true #1 WO. He'll get paid, but I think it will be a fair deal.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had done the math the other day and found at 8m/yr the tax rate in illinois would have been around 425k, but that doesn't include a jock tax if they have one and all but two states have that as well. We are one that does not, and I forget who the other is.

Jock tax only applies to the tax paid when playing in away states. Standard income tax is the only tax that athletes pay at home.

Jock tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What I wonder is if a player plays in his home state but at an away game, do they pay this tax? For instance, does a Raider player pay it when he plays an away game in SD?