• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bengals vs. Niners

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are lucky you don’t have Shanahan. He is horrible; especially in the 4th quarter
I'm intrigued to know what Shanahan would do with Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon, and Burrow. I'm certain it would be more interesting than what you see from Taylor.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm intrigued to know what Shanahan would do with Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon, and Burrow. I'm certain it would be more interesting than what you see from Taylor.
Ever since Shanahan went into a shell and the 49ers lost a 10 point lead with 6 minutes left in the Super Bowl i knew he sucked. he has no confidence in his players and causes so many close losses with his ultra conservative play calling in the 4th quarter.

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I feel the Evan McPherson missed kick and the dropped walk off pick 6 by Jessie Bates were more glaring than the playcalling.

Either of those things happen, we don't have to second guess overtime playcalling by the head coach. At some point, players not name Joe Burrow have to step up.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably a little less or similar to Mostert, Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk and Garrapalo.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't really think much of Mixon and Boyd but I'll take the other three any day.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Taylor coached the 49ers, he'd have a gameplan designed to use Kittle as a decoy only.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the Evan McPherson missed kick and the dropped walk off pick 6 by Jessie Bates were more glaring than the playcalling.

Either of those things happen, we don't have to second guess overtime playcalling by the head coach. At some point, players not name Joe Burrow have to step up.
Do you mean All-Pro, Jessie Bates? Is this guy really anything more than average? He does his job a lot I guess..... But he's not much of a playmaker.

I agree with you that players other than Burrow need to make plays. Unfortunately for the D, the guy that normally does it on that side of the ball (Henrickson) was out with a back injury. I'll give McPherson the benefit of the doubt. That was the first field goal he has missed since the Green Bay game.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you mean All-Pro, Jessie Bates? Is this guy really anything more than average? He does his job a lot I guess..... But he's not much of a playmaker.

I agree with you that players other than Burrow need to make plays. Unfortunately for the D, the guy that normally does it on that side of the ball (Henrickson) was out with a back injury. I'll give McPherson the benefit of the doubt. That was the first field goal he has missed since the Green Bay game.
We now have Hendrickson hurt, who was in Jimmy's face the entire first half. Wilson is gone for the year probably. And Bates is a shell of his all-pro self after getting snubbed on his contract extension. All three levels of our defense is in disarray right now. It sucks, but we had been lucky up to this point with no serious injuries to our stars. It is starting to catch up to us like the rest of the league now. That is partly what kicked our ass last year. We were one of the most injured teams in the NFL. Hard to win with a bunch of new players when everyone is dropping like flys.

This year we had been lucky there, but no more. This is where the downward spiral begins because we don't have the depth, especially at the oline.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
worthless ol. crappy tackler's

burrow is sooooooooo good too. better BUY some OL this off season . Why forced to be a running team without an OL....stupid

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am burrow I don't sign anything

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We now have Hendrickson hurt, who was in Jimmy's face the entire first half. Wilson is gone for the year probably. And Bates is a shell of his all-pro self after getting snubbed on his contract extension. All three levels of our defense is in disarray right now. It sucks, but we had been lucky up to this point with no serious injuries to our stars. It is starting to catch up to us like the rest of the league now. That is partly what kicked our ass last year. We were one of the most injured teams in the NFL. Hard to win with a bunch of new players when everyone is dropping like flys.

This year we had been lucky there, but no more. This is where the downward spiral begins because we don't have the depth, especially at the oline.
I thought the linebackers did a decent job against the run yesterday. I realize they were playing their third running back, but it's still a tough system to defend and they did well. Obviously Kittle beat them - But if your idea is that you're going to use the linebackers to cover Kittle, I don't think you're going to have much success no matter who you are.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said at the top of the post that this was a game that Burrow needed to win.

The Bengals reminded me that a QB can only do so much - Particularly when his coach is a chicken.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if... Burrow had an offensive line that didn't have glaring weaknesses.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the linebackers did a decent job against the run yesterday. I realize they were playing their third running back, but it's still a tough system to defend and they did well. Obviously Kittle beat them - But if your idea is that you're going to use the linebackers to cover Kittle, I don't think you're going to have much success no matter who you are.
Problem is, we didn't use the LB'ers to cover Kittle, especially the game winning drive, we played a zone coverage and Kittle just sat in the open zone that entire drive.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, we didn't use the LB'ers to cover Kittle, especially the game winning drive, we played a zone coverage and Kittle just sat in the open zone that entire drive.
Chido said yesterday that they didn't do anything special to defend Kittle. Just played their normal stuff. Similar to not doing anything to defend DaVante Adams. I suppose the idea is that you let the big dog eat and stop everyone else, but at some point, you'd figure you might want to try something unique against a guy that is killing you.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chido said yesterday that they didn't do anything special to defend Kittle. Just played their normal stuff. Similar to not doing anything to defend DaVante Adams. I suppose the idea is that you let the big dog eat and stop everyone else, but at some point, you'd figure you might want to try something unique against a guy that is killing you.
I think against special playmakers you have to plan accordingly. Teams have done it to Chase and he hasn't been the one killing teams lately.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair to the defense - They were pretty darn good most of the day. If we don't gift wrap 10 points from muffed punt returns and taunting penalties, it's a different game. The 75 yard TD drive when they needed to stop them wasn't a good show - But overall, they did okay for being put in a tough situation.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What really struck me was ZT taking the blame for the OT calling. It's not the first time he's pointed the finger at himself. At what point do you stop saying your the problem and simply fix the problem (i.e. stop calling plays).

This offense underachieves for the amount of talent it has. The OL is a concern, and doesn't help, but when you have a QB that was slicing and dicing a defense, and then pull back to back runs like he did...that's just malpractice, and it's not the first time, or second time, or third time, this year. It's a constant theme with him.

The defense played well enough - 10 points (IIRC) because Phillips couldn't catch a punt twice. Not a fan of how they attacked the last possession in OT with the calling - because SF rarely takes shots, but yet the Bengals continued to leave a lot of middle field open. You can give a mulligan on that drive if only because the rest of the game they played so well.

Offensively, Taylor holds this team back. There's no two ways about it.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What really struck me was ZT taking the blame for the OT calling. It's not the first time he's pointed the finger at himself. At what point do you stop saying your the problem and simply fix the problem (i.e. stop calling plays).

This offense underachieves for the amount of talent it has. The OL is a concern, and doesn't help, but when you have a QB that was slicing and dicing a defense, and then pull back to back runs like he did...that's just malpractice, and it's not the first time, or second time, or third time, this year. It's a constant theme with him.

The defense played well enough - 10 points (IIRC) because Phillips couldn't catch a punt twice. Not a fan of how they attacked the last possession in OT with the calling - because SF rarely takes shots, but yet the Bengals continued to leave a lot of middle field open. You can give a mulligan on that drive if only because the rest of the game they played so well.

Offensively, Taylor holds this team back. There's no two ways about it.
I agree with you. I was thinking the other day of what a Marvin Lewis team would look like with this roster. My assumption is that you would also see some chicken-shit, conservative stuff... But, on the other hand, if the team was coordinated by Jay Gruden or Hue Jackson, you can be guaranteed that Burrow would be passing like crazy.... Particularly if it were Gruden. He would have thrown 60 times on Sunday.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you. I was thinking the other day of what a Marvin Lewis team would look like with this roster. My assumption is that you would also see some chicken-shit, conservative stuff... But, on the other hand, if the team was coordinated by Jay Gruden or Hue Jackson, you can be guaranteed that Burrow would be passing like crazy.... Particularly if it were Gruden. He would have thrown 60 times on Sunday.
Isn't this the thing that got Taylor put under the microscope last year? Making Burrow throw so many times behind this oline? Everyone was praising this offense when it is balanced and Joe Mixon is running. If you don't keep defense honest, not all that passing game works. I would like to see a little more custom crafted game plans for certain teams instead of trying to use the same one for every team when it is only working against Pittsburgh. I do agree, we need to be more flexible with the play calling depending on situation and team, but overall, I really like Taylor's relationship with Burrow and how comfortable Burrow has gotten in his system and how much say so Burrow has in it. A new coach may not allow his young QB so much input like Taylor does.

However, I would really like to see Callahan put in charge of offensive play calling, and let Taylor manage the game with the onus on Burrow to make the corrections at the line if necessary.