• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bengals sign Orlando Brown Jr.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Holy fuck around and find out Batman!

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news for the Bengals. If Jonah has the capability of playing RT, they have their best line in years. There is also still the potential that they use their first rounder on an RT and really have their line set for the next couple seasons.

Interesting deal. They absorb a bunch of cost early in the contract. Hopefully Brown won't be looking to renegotiate after year 2.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could indeed use 1st round pick on Jones, but I think they are targeting TE right now, so if you can put Meyer or Washington into the lineup, then you do it. If not, you go for Jones and make that line solid for the next 4 years.

I was just shocked waking up to that on my alarm news this morning. Wow. Could not believe we would make a signing like that this year with Burrow and Higgins due.

Plus, only $16 million per? He was expected to get $22-$24 mill per year, and KC signed RT Jawann Taylor to play LT for $20 million. So a guy not familiar with their system, switching positions and getting $20 million? What was the deal in not resigning Brown?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was just about to post this article.

hot dog hot dog hot diggity dog
protect our Joe

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Plus, only $16 million per? He was expected to get $22-$24 mill per year, and KC signed RT Jawann Taylor to play LT for $20 million. So a guy not familiar with their system, switching positions and getting $20 million? What was the deal in not resigning Brown?

I can't recall where I heard this but something along the lines of the Chiefs seeing him as a RT and that being a point of contention.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he left money on the table from other teams to play here. If you want a chance to play for a SB in an elite offense this is probably a top 2 or 3 destination at this point

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't recall where I heard this but something along the lines of the Chiefs seeing him as a RT and that being a point of contention.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he left money on the table from other teams to play here. If you want a chance to play for a SB in an elite offense this is probably a top 2 or 3 destination at this point
So they see a natural rt being their lt and pay $20 million, but take a pro bowl lt and want to move him back to rt? Granted, he was a pro bowlers there too, but they replaced him with a RT at $20 million. It just makes no sense. They could have left a proven commodity at lt on their team for less than they gave an outside rt to play LT.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they said they would open the wallet but I did'nt believe it. what's next? I'm stoked about this. We're not going to waste our shot. I realize a lot has to go right

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ravens saw him as a RT, traded him to the Chiefs so we could play him at LT. He was the 4th best player on the Chiefs oline. Heck, he gave up a key sack against the Bengals regular season against a 3 man rush IIRC. They worked with him awhile to get a contract going and then just gave up at some point.

Unfortunately, I'm not 100% convinced Jawaan Taylor can actually play LT but thats something else entirely.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could indeed use 1st round pick on Jones, but I think they are targeting TE right now, so if you can put Meyer or Washington into the lineup, then you do it. If not, you go for Jones and make that line solid for the next 4 years.

I was just shocked waking up to that on my alarm news this morning. Wow. Could not believe we would make a signing like that this year with Burrow and Higgins due.

It's hard to know what happened with the Chiefs. I remember thinking they were really frustrated with him last season because they offered a really nice long-term deal and ended up having to carry him with a huge cap hit on a franchise tag. It's possible that he went into FA still asking for a lot, but when options started drying up in KC and things didn't look great from other teams, he took a contract from a team that was willing to pack a bunch of money up front.... Which is certainly what the Bengals did.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is the biggest FA signing in Bengals history, right?

Can't think of another signing of a player with this pedigree at a premium position. Was there something bigger in the 90s that slips my mind?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the biggest FA signing in Bengals history, right?

Can't think of another signing of a player with this pedigree at a premium position. Was there something bigger in the 90s that slips my mind?
I believe there were reports that Warren Sapp had signed with us back when he joined the Raiders.... That was huge news in the early 2000s, but it was never true.

Otherwise, I think you are correct. John Thornton was the first "big" free agent we ever signed. Sam Adams probably had the biggest name but was past his prime. Otherwise, I think Reader or Tre Waynes would have been the most notable until Brown.

Who am I missing?

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I believe there were reports that Warren Sapp had signed with us back when he joined the Raiders.... That was huge news in the early 2000s, but it was never true.

Otherwise, I think you are correct. John Thornton was the first "big" free agent we ever signed. Sam Adams probably had the biggest name but was past his prime. Otherwise, I think Reader or Tre Waynes would have been the most notable until Brown.

Who am I missing?

TO was by far the highest profile player to sign here but he had basically burned every bridge in the NFL at that point. That was a desperation move for everyone involved.

Sapp would have been a franchise changing signing.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TO was by far the highest profile player to sign here but he had basically burned every bridge in the NFL at that point. That was a desperation move for everyone involved.

Sapp would have been a franchise changing signing.
I somehow blocked TO out of my mind. That 2010 season was a train wreck - And it wasn't TO's fault as he was one of the only guys that seemed like he was trying.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, if we are going on big name misses in F/A - Tony Siragusa has to be up there. In '97, the Bengals sent a plane/ticket to Tony to come on a F/A visit.

When Tony got the ticket, it was for coach. He let Mike Brown "I don't fit in coach" and never came. Ended up in Baltimore instead....

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to know what happened with the Chiefs. I remember thinking they were really frustrated with him last season because they offered a really nice long-term deal and ended up having to carry him with a huge cap hit on a franchise tag. It's possible that he went into FA still asking for a lot, but when options started drying up in KC and things didn't look great from other teams, he took a contract from a team that was willing to pack a bunch of money up front.... Which is certainly what the Bengals did.
Brown is always notching about something. It does not matter in the long run because he is good enough that you deal worh it.

It seems like the Chiefs forgot what the Bucs did to them a few years ago. Chiefs line is still better than that year, but not a gamble I understand for them to take when they are set up for years.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the deal in not resigning Brown?
I'd say it's just a red line in the sand contractually and they weren't willing to allow Brown to cross it. Same with Mathieu, same with Hill. Somewhat surprised they didn't sunk cost themselves into paying Brown ≥20M, but here we are. Especially if there were other options. Brown as a Chief was trying to reset the market and most of the league seems to see Brown as a RT, if you believe Adam Schefter. Which means his market is gonna have a hard time going over 20M AAV on the open market.

The Chiefs have repeatedly targeted RT's, or had an OT start at RT and move then to LT. Seems like a market gaming schtick to me. They were also in on Tunsil so I am guessing they had a good idea Tunsil's market in terms of AAV was around 25M.