• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bengals @ Ravens

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team is going to give up drives. Every team does it. Every defense does it.

I really don't care what kind of miracle they saw against the Pats. They held them to 6 points. Had NE come back and won that, no way you can put that on the defense. Same with most of the other games. Detroit has made many defenses look foolish. The packers do the same. Bottom line, the defense has found ways to flat out get it done.

And I've already said there are reasons to be concerned about the defense. But don't deflect. The offense's 4 game run last season has no correlation to the defense as it stands now. Nor does my giving the benefit to the defense have any correlation to not giving it to the offense last season.

I'm not deflecting anything. In the original post, I mentioned that I had faith in Zimmer and his unit to perform. I also mentioned that I thought there were some significant areas of concern.

And I'm not drawing any relation to last year's 'offensive run' except to say that you are a critic even when a unit is getting it done..... As was the case last year.

And you DO put this on the defense each and every week. Look at how this team is built. If I'm not mistaken, this team's finances are wildly slanted to the defensive side of the ball. Who are the biggest offensive tickets? Whitworth? Tits? Maybe Gresham playing on the old CBA rookie deal? Look at the salaries on the D -- Hall, Atkins, Johnson, Dunlap, Harrison.... Peko and Rey got paid above average for their production.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW -- Our ALL YEAR D also gave up a 100+ rating to Bobby Hoyer and blew an 11 point 4th quarter lead in Chicago. Who-Dey!

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched Alabama/LSU last night, and came away really impressed with the LSU quarterback, Zach Mettenberger. Sure, Alabama dominated the second half and won easily. But Mettenberger has a great arm and can make all the throws. Also, 'bama brought pressure constantly, and Mettenberger stood tall in the pocket and threw accurately downfield, often hit just after letting it go. This is something I have yet to see Dalton do.

Unfortunately, Dalton looked like that mostly in college also, and at the combine. College competition, not as impressive as NFL competition.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW -- Our ALL YEAR D also gave up a 100+ rating to Bobby Hoyer and blew an 11 point 4th quarter lead in Chicago. Who-Dey!

I don't need to say anything about the D, because you are saying it all my man.

I am not just agreeing with you about the D either to throw blame off Dalton. Dalton deserves all the blame in the world the last couple weeks. I am not defending his last two appearances, AT ALL> He has sucked. But you knew that was going to happen. He is not nearly as good as the previous few weeks before Miami, and he is not nearly as bad as the last couple weeks overall. He is somewhere inbetween, and I know that is what we are goign to get from Dalton. I said it before we went on our losing streak, settle on praising him, because he is not that good, he is going to have bad games.

Dalton's problem, he shouldn't be as good in a week as he was those previous 3 weeks, and he shouldn't be as bad as the last couple. He needs to find a consistancy each and every game.

60 - 65% completion / 250 - 300 yards passing / 1-2 TD's per game with 0-1 INT per game /

THat is the QB Dalton should strive to be, because that is who he is, he just volatile up and down from week to week. He needs consistancy.

Our defense has played great, but they are far from great. They have issues in teh secondary, they cause too many penalties, LB's can't cover worth a damn (TE's or RB's) and the Dline has been very inconsistant provideing pressure this year, especially what is deemed inferior talent.

That wind aided both defenses greatly today, because Dalton and Flacco are not that bad of QB's, not even close. But, they both sure sucked ass today.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't need to say anything about the D, because you are saying it all my man.

I am not just agreeing with you about the D either to throw blame off Dalton. Dalton deserves all the blame in the world the last couple weeks. I am not defending his last two appearances, AT ALL> He has sucked. But you knew that was going to happen. He is not nearly as good as the previous few weeks before Miami, and he is not nearly as bad as the last couple weeks overall. He is somewhere inbetween, and I know that is what we are goign to get from Dalton. I said it before we went on our losing streak, settle on praising him, because he is not that good, he is going to have bad games.

Dalton's problem, he shouldn't be as good in a week as he was those previous 3 weeks, and he shouldn't be as bad as the last couple. He needs to find a consistancy each and every game.

60 - 65% completion / 250 - 300 yards passing / 1-2 TD's per game with 0-1 INT per game /

THat is the QB Dalton should strive to be, because that is who he is, he just volatile up and down from week to week. He needs consistancy.

Our defense has played great, but they are far from great. They have issues in teh secondary, they cause too many penalties, LB's can't cover worth a damn (TE's or RB's) and the Dline has been very inconsistant provideing pressure this year, especially what is deemed inferior talent.

That wind aided both defenses greatly today, because Dalton and Flacco are not that bad of QB's, not even close. But, they both sure sucked ass today.

You're high as a kite, apparently. You just projected Dalton to produce ON AVERAGE 4000 yards, 25 TD's, and 10 picks a season. Stop it. Just stop. STOP.

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR DRUNK REPLY WILL BE. YOU'RE WRONG. STOP.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, Dalton looked like that mostly in college also, and at the combine. College competition, not as impressive as NFL competition.

No, he didn't. Mettenberger has an elite arm. Standing tall under pressure is the same whether in college or the pros. It's a quality Dalton hasn't shown yet, either here or in college. Most of the teams TCU played were so dominated he faced almost no pressure. Alabama's defense is as close as you can come to being a pro defense. They brought the heat. Mettenberger stood tall, and delivered downfield on the money. He's going to be a good one.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're high as a kite, apparently. You just projected Dalton to produce ON AVERAGE 4000 yards, 25 TD's, and 10 picks a season. Stop it. Just stop. STOP.

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR DRUNK REPLY WILL BE. YOU'RE WRONG. STOP.

I have not had a sip of alcohol.

I think Dalton is about a 60-65% guy, with 3500-4000 yards, with 25-30 TD's with 12-16 INT's a year.

Seems to be about an average QB now a days.

Hell, before this game...

Dalton was on pace for: 64.8% completion / 4,599 yards / 28 TD's / 18 INT's

During this game he had a terrible completion percent, but: 274 yards / 2 TD's to go along with his 3 INT's and 47% completion. The completion percent will drop his average decent, and the 3 INT's hurt his overall projected average, but I do not think my projections for him over the course of a season is off, he just needs to be more consistant from game to game instead of so up and down.

Consistancy is the key, not 5 TD passes in one game, while having 0 TD passes the next with 3 INT's.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he didn't. Mettenberger has an elite arm. Standing tall under pressure is the same whether in college or the pros. It's a quality Dalton hasn't shown yet, either here or in college. Most of the teams TCU played were so dominated he faced almost no pressure. Alabama's defense is as close as you can come to being a pro defense. They brought the heat. Mettenberger stood tall, and delivered downfield on the money. He's going to be a good one.

As seen by all these Alabama players being drafted on D and not being worth a lick once they get here. Terrance Cody, Dre Kirkpatrick, etc.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crash has gone full blown homer again.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not had a sip of alcohol.

I think Dalton is about a 60-65% guy, with 3500-4000 yards, with 25-30 TD's with 12-16 INT's a year.

Seems to be about an average QB now a days.

Hell, before this game...

Dalton was on pace for: 64.8% completion / 4,599 yards / 28 TD's / 18 INT's

During this game he had a terrible completion percent, but: 274 yards / 2 TD's to go along with his 3 INT's and 47% completion. The completion percent will drop his average decent, and the 3 INT's hurt his overall projected average, but I do not think my projections for him over the course of a season is off, he just needs to be more consistant from game to game instead of so up and down.

Consistancy is the key, not 5 TD passes in one game, while having 0 TD passes the next with 3 INT's.

Consistency doesn't necessarily exist..... Even the league's top qbs have some huge 4 TD games and a few 3 INT games. In a 16 game season, you'll have a few gems and a few turds.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As seen by all these Alabama players being drafted on D and not being worth a lick once they get here. Terrance Cody, Dre Kirkpatrick, etc.

Come on crash. Bama defenders dominate the draft. Now you just sound crazy.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Our D didn't turn the ball over twice, go 0-2 in the red zone, and only manage 266 total yards against Cleveland.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on crash. Bama defenders dominate the draft. Now you just sound crazy.

Can't tell if sarcastic or not.

If not, he didn't even mention Rolando McClain the 8th overall pick in 2010, who 'retired' at the beginning of the year.

Dee Milner has been a joke this year.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 22 defensive players on NFL rosters right now who played their college ball at Alabama. Sure some have done better than others. The point is year in and year out Alabama defense is as close to Nfl defense as you can get.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 22 defensive players on NFL rosters right now who played their college ball at Alabama. Sure some have done better than others. The point is year in and year out Alabama defense is as close to Nfl defense as you can get.

One of the best defensive units in college football, but it is a college system because it has been pretty obvious that guys coming out of Alabama have not been worth a crap really. At least until they have been in the NFL a few years and got rid of that stink called Alabama's defensive scheme.

Saban definitely gets the most of his "his guys" with certain skill sets to excel in his defensive scheme, but that doesn't translate to the NFL.

I am not saying the LSU QB isn't a good QB, I was just saying Dalton was pretty dang good in college too. I mean hell, in college, even Tebow was able to complete a pass. In the NFL, not so much. College just does not translate to the NFL, no matter which defense, offense, scheme you see, as the NFL is just a different beast altogether.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched Alabama/LSU last night, and came away really impressed with the LSU quarterback, Zach Mettenberger. Sure, Alabama dominated the second half and won easily. But Mettenberger has a great arm and can make all the throws. Also, 'bama brought pressure constantly, and Mettenberger stood tall in the pocket and threw accurately downfield, often hit just after letting it go. This is something I have yet to see Dalton do.

I would take Mettenberger in a heartbeat. Like tomorrow. I have been impressed by him all year running Cam Cameron's offense. 6-5, cannon arm, great under pressure. All qualities our resident ginger will never have.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the best defensive units in college football, but it is a college system because it has been pretty obvious that guys coming out of Alabama have not been worth a crap really. At least until they have been in the NFL a few years and got rid of that stink called Alabama's defensive scheme.

Saban definitely gets the most of his "his guys" with certain skill sets to excel in his defensive scheme, but that doesn't translate to the NFL.

I am not saying the LSU QB isn't a good QB, I was just saying Dalton was pretty dang good in college too. I mean hell, in college, even Tebow was able to complete a pass. In the NFL, not so much. College just does not translate to the NFL, no matter which defense, offense, scheme you see, as the NFL is just a different beast altogether.

Yes Dalton was good in college. However, you can't compare facing Mountain West defenses and Wisconsin's defense to the SEC. I don't care how many Bama defenders bust in the pros. The SEC style of defense is the most accurate representation of NFL defensive talent you will see at the collegiate level. Watch some tape of Mettenberger and see if you've seen that type of pocket presence from Dalton ever.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes Dalton was good in college. However, you can't compare facing Mountain West defenses and Wisconsin's defense to the SEC. I don't care how many Bama defenders bust in the pros. The SEC style of defense is the most accurate representation of NFL defensive talent you will see at the collegiate level. Watch some tape of Mettenberger and see if you've seen that type of pocket presence from Dalton ever.

It doesn't even matter if it's an accurate representation of NFL defense or not. It works in college and that's all that matters. End of the day the defenses Mettenberger faces are much better than those Andy ever faced. There's no comparison.

jwil007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It doesn't even matter if it's an accurate representation of NFL defense or not. It works in college and that's all that matters. End of the day the defenses Mettenberger faces are much better than those Andy ever faced. There's no comparison.

So do we take 1 in the 1st or 2nd???? WE NEED TO TAKE 1!