• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Beltran dumps Boras

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awww beat me to it.

Not long after ESPNNewYork.com's Wallace Matthews wrote that Scott Boras' initial three-year contract demands for free agent Carlo Beltran scared off the New York Yankees, it appears Beltran has dropped Boras for Dan Lozano, formerly of the Beverly Hills Sports Council, reports ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

This could change everything, right down to the years and dollars that are right for the player, as well as how quickly or slowly negotiations may occur.

Lozano represents a good number of big-name clients, including Albert Pujols, who is also a free agent this winter.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lozano is also B. Wilson's agent, so the Giants are familiar with him. And he's Jimmy Rollin's agent too.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup....this is encouraging.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other clubs may see this as "encouraging" as well, so I am going to hold off my judgement on whether or not it is a good thing for the Giants...

It will likely make his demands more "real-world", but that just makes more teams interested in him...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other clubs may see this as "encouraging" as well, so I am going to hold off my judgement on whether or not it is a good thing for the Giants...

It will likely make his demands more "real-world", but that just makes more teams interested in him...

Or maybe its a sign that he really want to go to the Yankee's and if THEY were scared off he knew something was wrong.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe its a sign that he really want to go to the Yankee's and if THEY were scared off he knew something was wrong.

I don't think I wanna see a contract demand that scares the Yankees, but considering they already have the entire Giants' payroll wrapped up in five guys, it probably wouldn't take as much as past years to scare them off.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This.

I really don't see how he can be shoehorned in, considering our payroll situation and other needs to fill.

It's not impossible that the brass will be willing to bump it up yet again if the years are right, as Beltran's bat really does improve the lineup a great deal more than just his own stats.

That said, I've been on record that while the trade for him was the right move, I don't really think it's right to re-sign him. Only if they went to a new budget level. If they re-sign him and then pay for it by dealing Chez, having Torres/Christian/Peguero in CF and Crawford at SS, and trading one of Cain/Timmy/Wilson....that seems too much to give up.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

I really don't see how he can be shoehorned in, considering our payroll situation and other needs to fill.

It's not impossible that the brass will be willing to bump it up yet again if the years are right, as Beltran's bat really does improve the lineup a great deal more than just his own stats.

That said, I've been on record that while the trade for him was the right move, I don't really think it's right to re-sign him. Only if they went to a new budget level. If they re-sign him and then pay for it by dealing Chez, having Torres/Christian/Peguero in CF and Crawford at SS, and trading one of Cain/Timmy/Wilson....that seems too much to give up.

Dealing Chez may not be a bad move in a vacuum, so I do not see how this causing that would be such a bad thing.

Having Torres/Christian(ain't gunna happen)/Peggy man CF is not a HORRID idea anyway. I prefer Sizemore or Crisp, but neither of them are no-brainer, slam-dunk solutions. Cuddyer I am not a HUGE of, because he would cost a pick AND cost $$.

Dealing Wilson I am almost 100% in on, so This would not be a bad thing regardless.

Dealing Timmeh or Cain would also be vacuum moves, IMHO, so I do not see Beltran being the deciding factor there.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dealing Chez may not be a bad move in a vacuum, so I do not see how this causing that would be such a bad thing.

Having Torres/Christian(ain't gunna happen)/Peggy man CF is not a HORRID idea anyway. I prefer Sizemore or Crisp, but neither of them are no-brainer, slam-dunk solutions. Cuddyer I am not a HUGE of, because he would cost a pick AND cost $$.

Dealing Wilson I am almost 100% in on, so This would not be a bad thing regardless.

Dealing Timmeh or Cain would also be vacuum moves, IMHO, so I do not see Beltran being the deciding factor there.

The problem with dealing Chez is that he's due about $5MM in his final arb year and would only present one year of team control. Simply put, he's worth more to the Giants than any other team. No way to get value for him, unless a team gets desperate in ST.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with dealing Chez is that he's due about $5MM in his final arb year and would only present one year of team control. Simply put, he's worth more to the Giants than any other team. No way to get value for him, unless a team gets desperate in ST.

I would like a team to get desperate. Better yet, I'd like Durtty to find his release point and stay focused for an entire season. Are both too much to ask? Probably. The former seems more likely.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like a team to get desperate. Better yet, I'd like Durtty to find his release point and stay focused for an entire season. Are both too much to ask? Probably. The former seems more likely.

Well, this would be the year for Jonny to step up. Can you imagine if he puts up a 14-6, 2.74 season with 200 IP and 200 Ks? He'd get 4/80.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this would be the year for Jonny to step up. Can you imagine if he puts up a 14-6, 2.74 season with 200 IP and 200 Ks? He'd get 4/80.

That would be awesome, and certainly possible. He has one of those OMFG arms. The prob is his DUH head.

If he has that kind of year, I say we offer him arb and hope he goes elsewhere. He is too inconsistent to offer the big $$ to.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be awesome, and certainly possible. He has one of those OMFG arms. The prob is his DUH head.

If he has that kind of year, I say we offer him arb and hope he goes elsewhere. He is too inconsistent to offer the big $$ to.

This is his final arb year; he'll be a FA next year.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can still offer him arbitration and get draft picks in return if he signs elsewhere (which I believe is the point cal was making).

I don't think that's right. I don't think you can offer a non-arb player arbitration. I think you can tender an offer, but not arbitration. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's right. I don't think you can offer a non-arb player arbitration. I think you can tender an offer, but not arbitration. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

This is the whole thing about compensation. Beltran has it in his contract that he can not be offered arb so that he can 100% test free agency.

Teams offer their FAs arb. If they accept, then they are guaranteed a 1 year deal unless the two sides sign another deal. If the player refuses arb, he becomes a FA, but the old team gets compensation (depending on their type).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the whole thing about compensation. Beltran has it in his contract that he can not be offered arb so that he can 100% test free agency.

Teams offer their FAs arb. If they accept, then they are guaranteed a 1 year deal unless the two sides sign another deal. If the player refuses arb, he becomes a FA, but the old team gets compensation (depending on their type).

Ahhh...this makes sense. So an "arb eligible" player has to accept arb or not play. A FA can decline arb and go elsewhere.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh...this makes sense. So an "arb eligible" player has to accept arb or not play. A FA can decline arb and go elsewhere.

Exactly.

The Giants own chez's rights for '12 as long as they offer arb. They are in the drivers seat. In order for him to be a FA, the G's would have to NOT offer him arb (non-tendering him).

Uribe last year, on the other hand, was just a reg FA. The giants offered him arb, but he declined, making him a FA, and triggering the compensation rules for FAs (Crick).

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

The Giants own chez's rights for '12 as long as they offer arb. They are in the drivers seat. In order for him to be a FA, the G's would have to NOT offer him arb (non-tendering him).

Uribe last year, on the other hand, was just a reg FA. The giants offered him arb, but he declined, making him a FA, and triggering the compensation rules for FAs (Crick).

I'm definitely happier with Crick than Juan and that contract (even with the middle infield issues/injuries this year). Unless Uribe is pulling a Huff and will be back to 100% (maybe 120) next year, I think you can chalk another one up for special agent Ned, officially.

OT: Does Eugenio ever get another 75 PAs in a Major League uni? 100?