• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Beltran dumps Boras

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But are the Giants any stronger on #2 than the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers....all of whom could also beat us on #1?

No.

but it probably beats the Phils. The Giants are an elite team now, so for similar money could beat the Spanks, Sox, Tigers, Rangers, etc.

Similar money right now likely WOULD beat any non-contending team (Washington, ChiSox, Doggies, etc). We could likely come in at a decent amount less per year against some of those teams as well.

Now, if someone comes in with a Dunne, Zito or Werth deal, than sure, they win. But if it is in the same ballpark? The Giants are not immediately discarded like they were 4 or 5 years ago (thus the Rowand/Zito deals).

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

but it probably beats the Phils. The Giants are an elite team now, so for similar money could beat the Spanks, Sox, Tigers, Rangers, etc.

Similar money right now likely WOULD beat any non-contending team (Washington, ChiSox, Doggies, etc). We could likely come in at a decent amount less per year against some of those teams as well.

Now, if someone comes in with a Dunne, Zito or Werth deal, than sure, they win. But if it is in the same ballpark? The Giants are not immediately discarded like they were 4 or 5 years ago (thus the Rowand/Zito deals).

Makes sense. My gut feeling is still that we don't get him for whatever reason. Too many variables have to go our way.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Giants are in the situation now where they do not have to BEAT all other offers, they just need to put forward a competitive offer. Especially for a guy at the end of his career, where he is not playing for his NEXT contract.

This. My alt is clearly accessing the correct part of the brain.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm too lazy to look back at your payroll breakdown, where would that scenario leave SabeySabes? At the Budget Ceiling? Room for Crisp or Sizemore?

For arguments sake, consider it without the Rowand money. I'm going off of the assumption that his money was placed into the overages for last year's budget (EDIT: like the money they expect to take on at the deadline every year; even though it was after the trade deadline and significantly higher than anything they would normally take on).

They'd need to expand the budget by at least $5MM to the $135 neighborhood. And they'd need to backload Timmy a bit. And maybe trade Chez.

Another possibility is to trade either Affeldt or Lopez.

If you ignore the Rowand money, we have room for your favorite Breakfast Cereal too.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the kinds of things fans say to convince themselves their team can defy the laws of player greed. Just sayin'.

Except that players do turn down the best deal to play elsewhere. Nick Johnson and LaRoche come to immediate mind. I could see Carlos turning down a bit more from the Red Sox to stay in the NL and play behind our pitching.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8. The stadium is full of loud fans every game

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that players do turn down the best deal to play elsewhere. Nick Johnson and LaRoche come to immediate mind. I could see Carlos turning down a bit more from the Red Sox to stay in the NL and play behind our pitching.

My point exactly, although I was too dense to come out and simply say it.

The Giants used to be a team that players would AVOID.

Now they make the early short-list.

Generally speaking, of course.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My point exactly, although I was too dense to come out and simply say it.

The Giants used to be a team that players would AVOID.

Now they make the early short-list.

Generally speaking, of course.

While I agree in principal with both of you guys that the Giants have ascended the ranks of favorable locations.....Nick Johnson and Andy Laroche are not exactly apples to apples comparisons to Carlos Beltran both as players or situations (in fairness to MSG). Beltran is much better than either of those two and both of those guys most likely weren't looking at that contract as their last. They both needed hitters parks and and strong lineups to set up their subsequent contracts. Now, both of the factors above might make it more likely or less likely that Beltran re-signs with the Giants, I don't know.....just sayin'

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd need to expand the budget by at least $5MM to the $135 neighborhood. And they'd need to backload Timmy a bit. And maybe trade Chez.

Another possibility is to trade either Affeldt or Lopez.

If you ignore the Rowand money, we have room for your favorite Breakfast Cereal too.

and with all that money still no offense

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I couldn't hear you over my ring.

tiffany-co-giants-ring.jpg

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have the felling that Beltran is coming back, the fact he ditched Boras reinforced that. Do you think there a chance we sign Beltran and Crisp? Or is Beltran all that we'll be able to afford.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have the felling that Beltran is coming back, the fact he ditched Boras reinforced that. Do you think there a chance we sign Beltran and Crisp? Or is Beltran all that we'll be able to afford.

They're going to have to be very creative just to fit Beltran in; I can't see us getting both.

BTW, I'm not sold Crisp is much better than Torres -- if at all.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're going to have to be very creative just to fit Beltran in; I can't see us getting both.

BTW, I'm not sold Crisp is much better than Torres -- if at all.

I very much agree. They have similar OBP despite Torres batting in the .220s. And Torres is much better defensively than Crisp.

Here's a shocker: Crisp's WAR- 2.2 in 584 PAs. Torres' WAR- 2.1 in 400 PAs. Yeah Crisp is a little overrated. I'd rather take a shot at Grady if anything.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey giant fans to you think its possible to get cain from you you guys,,,,you would have timmy,madison,vogelsong and sanchez still along with whatever pitching prospects and the rangers got some bats we could spare.....im just guessing the the rangers would veto any deal with profar/perez but everyone else should be available in that deal ...prospect wise

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we sign Beltran and Grady, we'll be back in business:

CF-Sizemore
2B-Franchez
C-Posey
3B-Sandoval
LF-Beltran
1B-Huff
RF-Schierholtz
SS-Crawford

Torres/Stewart/Gillaspie/Belt/Burriss

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we do have a ring. Now scram, troll.

congrats on your ring. you deserved it but until you get some offense to support your great pitching staff you'll see more falling short. i would love to see you guys again in the WS

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
congrats on your ring. you deserved it but until you get some offense to support your great pitching staff you'll see more falling short. i would love to see you guys again in the WS

Ok, Buffalo Bills.