• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Belichick: Russ underated

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You remind of a poster called Great Dayne. He was a big RW booster.

How could anyone into NFL football not be a Russell Wilson fan? The guy can run, he never says the wrong thing or comes off looking anything other than class with intelligence. Dude has a great long ball and can also hit small windows, what is not to like?

You can take any QB none of them had a better first nine seasons than Wilson, nobody won more to begin with.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Their was a time you could argue Wilson was underrated but as of late you probably wouldn't find many lists of QBs that wouldn't have him in the top 5 so I don't buy the narrative that he's underrated anymore. You could argue that he's starting to inch towards the overrated side of things.

Look at his playoff resume and it's basically just ok. It's not awful but you would hardly call it great either. Seahawks have won 3 playoff games since their last Super Bowl run and one of those wins they need Blair Walsh to miss a 27 yard FG with less than 30 seconds to go to win. The other two wins were against 9-8 teams.

And I'm not even completely blaming Russ for that as I put most of the blame on Carroll but you can't completely give Russ a pass on some of his performances either. I mean some of the games that if all you saw was the stat line without a name you'd think all the QBs got hurt and they had to play a RB or WR as an emergency QB.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Brady would have never fought to become a starting QB ever again because he's not competitive or good enough.

View attachment 264881

Who knows? If Bledsoe plays out his contract with the Patriots (or even half of it), Brady is probably long gone to another team for an opportunity to start. Without Belichick all those years, does he become what he did under those near-perfect circumstances? Or does he go to a struggling team in dire need of a QB and get the David Carr treatment, pummeled into seeing ghosts with their lack of an offensive line to protect him?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their was a time you could argue Wilson was underrated but as of late you probably wouldn't find many lists of QBs that wouldn't have him in the top 5 so I don't buy the narrative that he's underrated anymore. You could argue that he's starting to inch towards the overrated side of things.

Look at his playoff resume and it's basically just ok. It's not awful but you would hardly call it great either. Seahawks have won 3 playoff games since their last Super Bowl run and one of those wins they need Blair Walsh to miss a 27 yard FG with less than 30 seconds to go to win. The other two wins were against 9-8 teams.

And I'm not even completely blaming Russ for that as I put most of the blame on Carroll but you can't completely give Russ a pass on some of his performances either. I mean some of the games that if all you saw was the stat line without a name you'd think all the QBs got hurt and they had to play a RB or WR as an emergency QB.

When they did win, it was with a loaded defense that quickly priced itself out of existence. Russ isn't the reason they're struggling, and that was noticeable this year. The OC was awful and the defense really struggled until they came together for that late run at the playoffs.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows? If Bledsoe plays out his contract with the Patriots (or even half of it), Brady is probably long gone to another team for an opportunity to start. Without Belichick all those years, does he become what he did under those near-perfect circumstances? Or does he go to a struggling team in dire need of a QB and get the David Carr treatment, pummeled into seeing ghosts with their lack of an offensive line to protect him?

I understand. But you could whatif just about any player or scenerio then.

Plus, Belichick is on record saying Brady was playing his way into the starting QB conversation before Bledsoe got injured.

Team/QB that beat Alabama in the Orange Bowl in 2000:

24061952-standard.jpg
33-of-45 for 369 yards and 4 TDs

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand. But you could whatif just about any player or scenerio then.

Plus, Belichick is on record saying Brady was playing his way into the starting QB conversation before Bledsoe got injured.

Team/QB that beat Alabama in the Orange Bowl in 2000:

View attachment 265002
33-of-45 for 369 yards and 4 TDs

...and then didn't draft him until the 6th round. Belichick was going to start him over the QB that just got a 10 year extension? Sounds like revisionist history IMO.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and then didn't draft him until the 6th round. Belichick was going to start him over the QB that just got a 10 year extension? Sounds like revisionist history IMO.

Yes. Belichick was close to starting him over the QB that just got an extension.

We're going to do what's best for the team.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Want me to mail you my 3 Games to Glory DVDs? I don't care if you believe it. Honestly.

Changed my mind. Google is your friend.

"If it had been up to Belichick, Brady would have been his starter at the beginning of the 2001 season. He had said as much to Kraft when they met at the end of the preseason, but Belichick had known that he wasn’t in a position to push the issue then, when Bledsoe was the face of the franchise and Belichick was coming off a 5-11 season. Although Kraft had given him tremendous latitude over personnel decisions, benching the greatest quarterback in franchise history in favor of an unproven rookie right after Kraft had made Bledsoe the highest-paid player in the league would have been a bridge too far."

Bledsoe went 5-11 and had started 0-2 ---- like I said, Brady was outplaying Drew in practice and Belichick wasn't far from making a move.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care if you believe that either. It rings as revisionist coach speak to me.

I don't 'believe' it -- it's simply a matter of fact. Either way, I was just trying to help you with your "Brady might never have been a starter if Bledsoe didn't get hurt!" take.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't 'believe' it -- it's simply a matter of fact. Either way, I was just trying to help you with your "Brady might never have been a starter if Bledsoe didn't get hurt!" take.
Ultimately it doesn't matter, as Drew did get hurt. However, my take also can't be disproven either.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately it doesn't matter, as Drew did get hurt. However, my take also can't be disproven either.

Your take that 'Brady would never be a starter if Bledsoe didn't get hurt' isn't only foolish (he's considered the GOAT with 7 rings and countless records), but it's also demonstrably wrong:

nesn.com

Bill Belichick Wanted Tom Brady To Start Even Before Drew Bledsoe's Injury? - NESN.com

Drew Bledsoe's injury opened the door for Tom Brady in New England, but Patriots coach Bill Belichick wanted to make a change before then.
nesn.com
nesn.com

"If it had been up to Belichick, Brady would have been his starter at the beginning of the 2001 season. He had said as much to Kraft when they met at the end of the preseason, but Belichick had known that he wasn’t in a position to push the issue then, when Bledsoe was the face of the franchise and Belichick was coming off a 5-11 season. Although Kraft had given him tremendous latitude over personnel decisions, benching the greatest quarterback in franchise history in favor of an unproven rookie right after Kraft had made Bledsoe the highest-paid player in the league would have been a bridge too far."

Bledsoe went 5-11 and had started 0-2 ---- like I said, Brady was outplaying Drew in practice and Belichick wasn't far from making a move.

And now you know.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your take that 'Brady would never be a starter if Bledsoe didn't get hurt' isn't only foolish (he's considered the GOAT with 7 rings and countless records), but it's also demonstrably wrong:

nesn.com

Bill Belichick Wanted Tom Brady To Start Even Before Drew Bledsoe's Injury? - NESN.com

Drew Bledsoe's injury opened the door for Tom Brady in New England, but Patriots coach Bill Belichick wanted to make a change before then.
nesn.com
nesn.com

And now you know.

Did you read what you quoted? "...benching the greatest quarterback in franchise history in favor of an unproven rookie right after Kraft had made Bledsoe the highest-paid player in the league would have been a bridge too far." In other words, if Bledsoe stays healthy and wins, he's the starter.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could anyone into NFL football not be a Russell Wilson fan? The guy can run, he never says the wrong thing or comes off looking anything other than class with intelligence. Dude has a great long ball and can also hit small windows, what is not to like?

You can take any QB none of them had a better first nine seasons than Wilson, nobody won more to begin with.
I will say that the last place that Wilson appeared to look lije he wanted to be lst Sunday was sitting next to Goodell for the entire Super Bowl. His wife looked like she was being the Hostess and keeping everyone awake. She's a keeper!!

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you read what you quoted? "...benching the greatest quarterback in franchise history in favor of an unproven rookie right after Kraft had made Bledsoe the highest-paid player in the league would have been a bridge too far." In other words, if Bledsoe stays healthy and wins, he's the starter.

Yup. Which is the only reason he didn't straight start Brady in game one of 2001.

However, like I explained: Bledsoe went 5-11 in 2000, had started 0-2 in 2001, Brady was outplaying Drew in practice, and AS SUCH, Belichick wasn't far from making a move. The healthy Bledsoe hadn't been winning, wasn't winning and the Pats offensive team chemistry was off -- the healthy Bledsoe wasn't far from getting yanked for Brady.

Facts.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Which is the only reason he didn't straight start Brady in game one of 2001.

However, like I explained: Bledsoe went 5-11 in 2000, had started 0-2 in 2001, Brady was outplaying Drew in practice, and AS SUCH, Belichick wasn't far from making a move. The healthy Bledsoe hadn't been winning, wasn't winning and the Pats offensive team chemistry was off -- the healthy Bledsoe wasn't far from getting yanked for Brady.

Facts.
Belichick wasn't far from WANTING a move. 2 games into the season wasn't going to change the 10 year record contract that Drew just signed. Kraft would've blocked the move.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick wasn't far from WANTING a move. 2 games into the season wasn't going to change the 10 year record contract that Drew just signed. Kraft would've blocked the move.

Kraft blocking him is conjecture. But I'm simply debunking your "Brady maybe wouldn't have been a starter if Bledsoe hadn't gotten hurt" take.

Here it is, big and bold for you:

"If it had been up to Belichick, Brady would have been his starter at the beginning of the 2001 season"

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kraft blocking him is conjecture. But I'm simply debunking your "Brady maybe wouldn't have been a starter if Bledsoe hadn't gotten hurt" take.

Here it is, big and bold for you:

"If it had been up to Belichick, Brady would have been his starter at the beginning of the 2001 season"

...and since he wasn't, it clearly wasn't up to Belichick. Hence, HIS OWNER BLOCKED HIM.