• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears Sign Safety Tashaun Gipson

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was cut and signed to a one year deal.

Yeah, that screams huge impact player to me.

Highly unlikely, if he steps into HHCD's spot, that he outperforms what we got last season. We made a downward move here. No reason to be that excited.

I mean, I guess there's the injury deal where there's that "oh he might come back strong" hope a la Trevathan...but that is most certainly a "believe it when you see it" deal.

So, let's move the goal posts again. God, this is why you drive me nuts.

He was cut 24 hours before we signed him. That's how long it took for a team to want his services. He was cut by a team that has some tight cap issues.

He's 29 and coming off of a transverse back fracture in a year where doctors cannot examine players themselves. Do I really have to spell this out to you?

I'm not saying he's an elite DB but he's had a REAL nice career. Better than HHCD has.

You're literally just being Jiddy right now. You probably have no idea who this guy is. You attach yourself to mantras and keep saying them. Try not to be so Jiddy.

Yes, it's like, totally unheard of to fill-in your roster with guys like Ginn for camp and wait for a pro bowl safety to be released following the draft so you can fill an area of need. Good lord!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say, the more I'm reading about all this, the less I'm liking it. Eddie belongs in the FS world where he rules.

I like the idea of more two-high looks with how dominant our front seven/pass rush will be.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, let's move the goal posts again. God, this is why you drive me nuts.

He was cut 24 hours before we signed him. That's how long it took for a team to want his services. He was cut by a team that has some tight cap issues.

He's 29 and coming off of a transverse back fracture in a year where doctors cannot examine players themselves. Do I really have to spell this out to you?

I'm not saying he's an elite DB but he's had a REAL nice career. Better than HHCD has.

You're literally just being Jiddy right now. You probably have no idea who this guy is. You attach yourself to mantras and keep saying them. Try not to be so Jiddy.

Yes, it's like, totally unheard of to fill-in your roster with guys like Ginn for camp and wait for a pro bowl safety to be released following the draft so you can fill an area of need. Good lord!

Would it make you feel better if I pretended to be excited about this guy rather than just telling the truth?

He's on a 1 year deal at 29 years old, coming off injury, being cut by a team that had him on contract. I should be expecting something other than "a body" here, really? If you say so, I will then richi. Because #Bearbros.

Gipson is going to dominate! Here we go b*tches. No holes in this f*ckin' D. 31 other f*cking idiot teams gave us that sweet 24 hour window and now we goin' Sizzler! 7 picks minimum!

PS: I'm not going to get excited for Ginn, I have to draw the line somewhere.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of more two-high looks with how dominant our front seven/pass rush will be.

A lot of people jump on the Eddie Jackson position deal...I think our defense was more than fine last year. If we get that again, we'll be in it so long as we score. If this Gipson guy can produce, then we'll be fine with what Pagano comes up with.

In the switchover from Fangio to Pagano, we've done fine. However, I've seen a lot talk about it as if we rehired Mel Tucker or some sh*t.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they plan to play him at SS, then great, I guess. If they plan to play him at FS, then they can go fuck themselves with a pineapple.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they plan to play him at SS, then great, I guess. If they plan to play him at FS, then they can go fuck themselves with a pineapple.

Gipson is so good that we're just gonna play 1 deep and have Eddie blitz from a LB position.

HHCD who?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Egads. Rough going in, but pulling that pineapple out?

upload_2020-5-1_10-19-51.jpeg

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would it make you feel better if I pretended to be excited about this guy rather than just telling the truth?

He's on a 1 year deal at 29 years old, coming off injury, being cut by a team that had him on contract. I should be expecting something other than "a body" here, really? If you say so, I will then richi. Because #Bearbros.

Gipson is going to dominate! Here we go b*tches. No holes in this f*ckin' D. 31 other f*cking idiot teams gave us that sweet 24 hour window and now we goin' Sizzler! 7 picks minimum!

PS: I'm not going to get excited for Ginn, I have to draw the line somewhere.

Jiddy. The issue, I think, I have with a lot of your posts. Is that you just chant mantras that carry over to every thread. There's ZERO analysis here. You don't know anything about the guy, clearly. You clearly don't realize that he's been a very good player.

Everything you know about Tashaun Gipson? You learned in this thread.

A body? A BODY!? He's a pro bowler, Jiddy. Who has started his entire career and been very effective. EVEN LAST SEASON. He's a depth/camp/nothing body? Holy shit.

Yes, he was cut, by a team with cap issues. Then, immediately signed. 29 years old, is not old for a safety. It's old for a long-term deal coming off of an injury in a year where docs can't examine you. That was my point.

No, you ass. Just discuss the player and the impact he could/won't have. Stop chanting Jiddy mantras. You attach yourself to these vague mantras where you can chant it and it fits okay for any player. "We're so all-in desperate! DERP!". You can say that about any signing. Then, you find reasons to make the player fit into your preconceived view of him. Instead of neutrally looking at the player.

This is obvious because first you took the "he's still available" angle. Then, when you realized he was barely on the market. You changed to a different angle. You are consciously TRYING to make things fit into your view. It's lazy and it becomes redundant.

Look, you're free to keep doing it, obviously. But I'm trying to explain to you why you (sometimes) make me want to put my fist through my laptop screen.

BTW, yeah... our D really doesn't have any holes.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people jump on the Eddie Jackson position deal...I think our defense was more than fine last year. If we get that again, we'll be in it so long as we score. If this Gipson guy can produce, then we'll be fine with what Pagano comes up with.

In the switchover from Fangio to Pagano, we've done fine. However, I've seen a lot talk about it as if we rehired Mel Tucker or some sh*t.

See, I like this.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jiddy. The issue, I think, I have with a lot of your posts. Is that you just chant mantras that carry over to every thread. There's ZERO analysis here. You don't know anything about the guy, clearly. You clearly don't realize that he's been a very good player.

Everything you know about Tashaun Gipson? You learned in this thread.

A body? A BODY!? He's a pro bowler, Jiddy. Who has started his entire career and been very effective. EVEN LAST SEASON. He's a depth/camp/nothing body? Holy shit.

Yes, he was cut, by a team with cap issues. Then, immediately signed. 29 years old, is not old for a safety. It's old for a long-term deal coming off of an injury in a year where docs can't examine you. That was my point.

No, you ass. Just discuss the player and the impact he could/won't have. Stop chanting Jiddy mantras. You attach yourself to these vague mantras where you can chant it and it fits okay for any player. "We're so all-in desperate! DERP!". You can say that about any signing. Then, you find reasons to make the player fit into your preconceived view of him. Instead of neutrally looking at the player.

This is obvious because first you took the "he's still available" angle. Then, when you realized he was barely on the market. You changed to a different angle. You are consciously TRYING to make things fit into your view. It's lazy and it becomes redundant.

Look, you're free to keep doing it, obviously. But I'm trying to explain to you why you (sometimes) make me want to put my fist through my laptop screen.

BTW, yeah... our D really doesn't have any holes.

Sounds to me like you're doing everything you can to get me to fall in love with a guy that has injury concerns, was dumped by a playoff team and was signed to a one year prove-it contract to a team with cap issues. There's a lot more question than there is answer about this signing, despite your attempt to argue otherwise. I've been watching sports since before you were born, I don't have to see every play a player makes to understand what is an exciting signing and what should be a meh one. I've definitely watched more than my fair share of Jags games because we get them a lot in my locale, but did I focus in on Gipson? Nah. I can assure you I never watched him on the Browns or in college though.

At this point, any FA signing is going to be meh one that has question marks attached to it. That's just what it is.

The biggest reason to be excited about this is if you are of the persuasion that Deon Bush is just not good and should not start for our team. That's fair. And I'm guessing that you feel that way, thus why you're pushing away any idea that this might not have been a good signing.

As with every free agent, we'll see.

PS: I will NEVER change the way I post because you said so. I will always do me. I think we've hashed this concept out before, but it looks like you need a reminder.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like Pagano is looking for a couple safeties with a similar skillset so he can alternate them. Make the defense guess as to which guy is going to drop deep and which one is going to play up on a play-to-play basis and still not give up too much in their ability to cover or play the run.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, I like this.

Well, yeah, Pagano is a good coach. No need to rag on him unless, you know, we suck on D. Our D was stellar last year considering it all. They didn't even throw in the towel, which should be a huge plus in Pagano's favor. Less than 20 PPG in the second half when it was obvious we had no chance? That's impressive to me. Enough so that Pagano is good in my book.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the signing. If healthy he can ball. On a bad Houston D last year he still managed 3 int's. Imagine how good he could be on a great D!

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the signing. If healthy he can ball. On a bad Houston D last year he still managed 3 int's. Imagine how good he could be on a great D!

If he can hold his own at SS, I am all for it.

The Bears cannot afford to have Jackson there another season.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#Bears safeties Eddie Jackson and Tashaun Gipson were two o of the league's most efficient safeties in coverage in 2019.

Jackson: 57.6 passer rating against (6th among safeties), 53.5% comp % allowed (5th)
Gipson: 55.0 passer rating against (5th), 54.1 comp % allowed (6th)

There's just no reason to "dislike" this at the price we got him at.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#Bears safeties Eddie Jackson and Tashaun Gipson were two o of the league's most efficient safeties in coverage in 2019.

Jackson: 57.6 passer rating against (6th among safeties), 53.5% comp % allowed (5th)
Gipson: 55.0 passer rating against (5th), 54.1 comp % allowed (6th)

There's just no reason to "dislike" this at the price we got him at.

My only "complaint" is he seems to be a better FS than SS. I know he's had success at both, but he just seems a more natural fit at FS.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only "complaint" is he seems to be a better FS than SS. I know he's had success at both, but he just seems a more natural fit at FS.
I look at it as, it gives Pagano some flexibility in confusing Defenses. Who is your blocking assignment, who's dropping back? Guess I'm glass 1/2 full on the potential. I see an upgrade over HHCD. Now, if the rookie Johnson, im more concerned with if he starts. You know he will be tested.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at it as, it gives Pagano some flexibility in confusing Defenses. Who is your blocking assignment, who's dropping back? Guess I'm glass 1/2 full on the potential. I see an upgrade over HHCD. Now, if the rookie Johnson, im more concerned with if he starts. You know he will be tested.

Johnson is gonna be a stud.

Honestly, HHCD was a pleasant surprise last year. He's a starting FS on any team that doesn't have Eddie Jackson.

Gipson is an upgrade cuz he can play SS. That's all that really matters...getting Jackson back at FS.