• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears have signed Santonio Holmes

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Marshall got fixed here, the organization has the structure to help Holmes return to form. This is a huge signing because as much as you ball sack guys will defend cutler, you know Marshall and Jeffrey will both need plays off after making their circus catches that end up getting them demolished by hits. Holmes gives you a threat to give them a few plays off to get their wind back after getting lit up. This offense changes when one is out and the double goes straight to the other one.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Marshall got fixed here, the organization has the structure to help Holmes return to form. This is a huge signing because as much as you ball sack guys will defend cutler, you know Marshall and Jeffrey will both need plays off after making their circus catches that end up getting them demolished by hits. Holmes gives you a threat to give them a few plays off to get their wind back after getting lit up. This offense changes when one is out and the double goes straight to the other one.

I couldn't agree more, I was really miffed by the Wilson injury. I was expecting him to be a major, minor role player in giving our WR duo time off. So if Holmes is 3/4 the player he was or better, then the Bears have themselves that sub. And I'm still counting on Williams coming off the strain quad/hammy which ever it was and helping out these guys as well. Mainly, because he would fit a different role, the smaller fast guy role.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know everyone is wondering who is gonna be returning punts, has anyone thought Carey might fill that role? Elusive runner, breakaway speed, might not get that many touches as running back. Then when Williams comes back from his hammy maybe he returns punts if Carey grows into a bigger part of the offense.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess, come regular season, the Williams kid will be doing it. I sure don't think Ford makes the team.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know everyone is wondering who is gonna be returning punts, has anyone thought Carey might fill that role? Elusive runner, breakaway speed, might not get that many touches as running back. Then when Williams comes back from his hammy maybe he returns punts if Carey grows into a bigger part of the offense.
Um I don't think Carey's ever done it...and where did you get this "breakaway speed" thing from? Didn't he run like a 4.7 forty? That's why he wasn't drafted higher, he lacked breakaway speed.

DaSuperfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello, I'm a KFFL leftover - first post here. :)

Yeah, Carey definitely doesn't have breakaway speed. Ran a 4.7 at the combine and at his pro day. His college tape also suggests he's not a speed burner - so I don't think he's a good candidate to return kicks. I think Chris Williams ultimately ends up being the KR. I have a feeling his hamstring injury maybe isn't really that serious.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, that 4.7 was said to be a fluke, a bad run that cost him his draft status. I should not have typed breakaway speed, its elusive speed that carey has in the open field.

You still need to make the first people miss before you run away for a touchdown, thats where I see Careys skills. If he gains 10-20 each time it beats running backwards or sideline to sideline.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It won't be Carey. For many many reasons.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well fortunately for us it looks like Josh Morgan is panning out as a decent option for our #3 wideout....kind of looks like a bigger, slightly more physical version of Earl Bennett. So I don't know if Santonio can do better than him....

I also saw that Chris Williams returned to practice today. Not certain that all of the deficiencies in our return game is the returner's fault (Don't get me wrong, don't let the door hit you in the ass, Eric Weems). It may be the special teamers in front of the return man or more than likely DeCamillas.

If DeCamillas is a gifted special teams coach, I have yet to see it.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well fortunately for us it looks like Josh Morgan is panning out as a decent option for our #3 wideout....kind of looks like a bigger, slightly more physical version of Earl Bennett. So I don't know if Santonio can do better than him....

I also saw that Chris Williams returned to practice today. Not certain that all of the deficiencies in our return game is the returner's fault (Don't get me wrong, don't let the door hit you in the ass, Eric Weems). It may be the special teamers in front of the return man or more than likely DeCamillas.

If DeCamillas is a gifted special teams coach, I have yet to see it.

:agree:

Couldn't have said it better myself, especially when it comes to DeCamillas.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Holmes wasn't my first choice, but whatever. One thing...I can't find how much we signed him for anywhere. Has anyone heard?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any of the guys mentioned so far in this thread has "break away" speed it would be Williams. 3rd fastest at last years combine I believe.

I have yet to hear what they're paying Holmes. But if he's 80% of what he used to be he will be better than Josh Morgan. Holmes really was a big time, (pain in the ass as well), Wr when healthy and motivated.

DaSuperfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, that 4.7 was said to be a fluke, a bad run that cost him his draft status. I should not have typed breakaway speed, its elusive speed that carey has in the open field.

You still need to make the first people miss before you run away for a touchdown, thats where I see Careys skills. If he gains 10-20 each time it beats running backwards or sideline to sideline.

Not to nitpick or anything but Carey did run a 4.7 at the combine and at his pro day. So it wasn't necessarily one bad run, he pretty much confirmed his time at his pro day as well. He certainly runs faster in pads than his 40 time would suggest. He is elusive and can make the first man miss - but I don't think he's a good candidate to be a returner IMO. First off, if he's going to be backing up Forte, we should try to keep him fresh and not risk any injury. The other thing is, I think breakaway speed is an essential skill to have for a return man.....JMHO.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to nitpick or anything but Carey did run a 4.7 at the combine and at his pro day. So it wasn't necessarily one bad run, he pretty much confirmed his time at his pro day as well. He certainly runs faster in pads than his 40 time would suggest. He is elusive and can make the first man miss - but I don't think he's a good candidate to be a returner IMO. First off, if he's going to be backing up Forte, we should try to keep him fresh and not risk any injury. The other thing is, I think breakaway speed is an essential skill to have for a return man.....JMHO.

Don't even bother. Anotheridiot spouting misinformation and not having his facts straight has become a welcomed tradition on this board.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That made him expendable under Martz. TEs are the lowest priority as a pass catching option. They are required to block in Martz's offense. Olsen couldnt do that, and was why he was traded.

I loathe that it's 2014, and I still have to explain that to people.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol… When the hell did a Bears receiver even get "lit up" at any point over the past couple seasons? Honestly, it's like you don't even watch the games, and then just spout whatever pleases you.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holmes wasn't my first choice, but whatever. One thing...I can't find how much we signed him for anywhere. Has anyone heard?

First I heard a deal for the duration of camp, and then a one year deal. No amount though. It's weird. Makes me assume the veteran minimum, which would be great. But I honestly thought we'd have to shell out a little cash, which is why I was iffy about signing him.

If we got him on the cheap, than it's well worth the flyer.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you even think about the nonsense you post?

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello, I'm a KFFL leftover - first post here. :)

Yeah, Carey definitely doesn't have breakaway speed. Ran a 4.7 at the combine and at his pro day. His college tape also suggests he's not a speed burner - so I don't think he's a good candidate to return kicks. I think Chris Williams ultimately ends up being the KR. I have a feeling his hamstring injury maybe isn't really that serious.

Being Vegas, i got to see quite a few Arizona games. Carey can be something reliable i the NFL. The kid is elusive and powerful. If they can utilize him in the passing game more, out in some space in the flat, he will make plays. I am getting excited now.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was our best pass catcher on a team of shitty receivers. I liked the kid, but he frustrated me..seemed to play smaller than he was? I dunno...he seems to be better off in Carolina.

Great hands, and was a superstar in practice, but aside from the one playoff game against Seattle, he never dominated like i thought he would?

Maybe its just me?:noidea:

BD, I y'all sign this guy, best of luck to ya!!!
He is a showboater, he thinks its all about him, The one big reason he found himself jobless after being a super bowl MVP. And after that game he hasn't been worth squat, rumor was repeat pot smoker and Pittsburgh just needed a reason so send him packing!!! He never got his feet or his form back with the jets... and honestly I don't see it ever happening!!!