• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bawstun vs Dodgers: the World Series of Gluttony

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was that the Dave Roberts stealing 2B game?

Roberts was know for the steal in game 4 which brought the Sox back. 20 October 2004 was the day that will live in infamy for all Yankee fans. The day the Sox came back and beat the Yankees after being down 3-0 in the ALCS.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who will Cora's starting pitchers be in games 6 & 7??

Game 5 was going to be Sale. But Cora has named Price the game 5 starter.

I like this move. Price looked the best he has in a while on three days rest. Sale could likely still use some rest. Sale will get the ball for game 6 back in Boston if it goes that far.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who will Cora's starting pitchers be in games 6 & 7??

The Series ends tonight. Kinsler gave away Game 3 with horrible base running and throwing away the ball when Puig was trotting down the first base line.

Sox showed the Dodgers that history and stats are not part of playing an actual game last night.

Puig was a one season wonder and he'll embarass the Dodgers tonight. I wouldn't let that asshole watch a Little League baseball game let alone play in the MLB.

Dodger fans will blame Roberts. Managers don't win or lose baseball games, the players do. Managers don't pitch, hit, run bases or play defense. If a player isn't performing the manager makes a move to give his team the best chance to win. 50% of the time the player fails, not the manager.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roberts was know for the steal in game 4 which brought the Sox back. 20 October 2004 was the day that will live in infamy for all Yankee fans. The day the Sox came back and beat the Yankees after being down 3-0 in the ALCS.
Oh, I remember that key steal very, very well and the impact it had vaulting the Sawx to victory in that awesome series - just wasn't sure of the date he had posted.

I won a hundred bux after betting a buddy of mine at a bar the Sawx would win this series. I made this bet when the Yanks were already up 3-0. It was one of the most unbelievable series comebacks I can remember.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why Roberts is getting such heat. Hill told him before the 7th to keep an eye on him as he was running out of gas. After he gave up the walk Roberts was ready to make the change.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why Roberts is getting such heat. Hill told him before the 7th to keep an eye on him as he was running out of gas. After he gave up the walk Roberts was ready to make the change.

... it’s like bigken said, people blame the manager.
Cora’s great. He doesn’t manage. He intervenes with divinity ... but had Kimbrel blown it last night, it woulda been Cora’s head on a spike ...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you're worried about him being tired (and if someone like Hill is admitting that, pull him immediately), let the reliever start the inning fresh. After that, it seemed every pitcher Roberts selected came up short. Whether or not there were correct options in the bullpen last night will never be known, but I'm personally not a fan of continually putting Jansen in the game in the 8th (or even sooner). Players like to own their role, and closers want to come in fresh in the 9th inning and end the game. Roberts managed to squash all of that 4 run inning momentum almost immediately.

Also, in the ninth Roberts did not have his lefty up in the bullpen to start the inning (Wood) to be ready when needed. You should always have your bullpen prepared going into the final inning, having already spent your closer, especially when that lefty is normally a starter and could take more time to get ready.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're worried about him being tired (and if someone like Hill is admitting that, pull him immediately), let the reliever start the inning fresh. After that, it seemed every pitcher Roberts selected came up short. Whether or not there were correct options in the bullpen last night will never be known, but I'm personally not a fan of continually putting Jansen in the game in the 8th (or even sooner). Players like to own their role, and closers want to come in fresh in the 9th inning and end the game. Roberts managed to squash all of that 4 run inning momentum almost immediately.

Also, in the ninth Roberts did not have his lefty up in the bullpen to start the inning (Wood) to be ready when needed. You should always have your bullpen prepared going into the final inning, having already spent your closer, especially when that lefty is normally a starter and could take more time to get ready.

He is mostly being criticized for pulling Hill, now you are suggesting he should have pulled him before the start of the 7th? It's pretty standard, especially with a 4 run lead, to send him out and then pull him at the first sign of trouble and that's exactly what he did. Obviously I agree with you about the last part but that's not what he is being criticized for.

He went to the players who had come through for him all year. They didn't get it done, that's on the player not the manager.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don’t buy this overmanaging and using an entire bullpen strategy in today’s gm. I’d love to know the deeper analytics of using more than 4 relievers in a game because it is really hard to find a bp where every guy u send out there is going to be sharp

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... and then there’s this gem:

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Watching the Dodgers/Red Sox final innings. It is amazing how a manager takes out a pitcher who is loose & dominating through almost 7 innings, Rich Hill of Dodgers, and brings in nervous reliever(s) who get shellacked. 4 run lead gone. Managers do it all the time, big mistake!

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Watching the Dodgers/Red Sox final innings. It is amazing how a manager takes out a pitcher who is loose & dominating through almost 7 innings, Rich Hill of Dodgers, and brings in nervous reliever(s) who get shellacked. 4 run lead gone. Managers do it all the time, big mistake!

Obviously the dumb ass didn't know the player told his manager that he was gassed.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Series ends tonight. Kinsler gave away Game 3 with horrible base running and throwing away the ball when Puig was trotting down the first base line.

Sox showed the Dodgers that history and stats are not part of playing an actual game last night.

Puig was a one season wonder and he'll embarass the Dodgers tonight. I wouldn't let that asshole watch a Little League baseball game let alone play in the MLB.

Dodger fans will blame Roberts. Managers don't win or lose baseball games, the players do. Managers don't pitch, hit, run bases or play defense. If a player isn't performing the manager makes a move to give his team the best chance to win. 50% of the time the player fails, not the manager.

Inane Puig statement aside (and silly Kinsler point, since the Sox scored themselves following an error on a throw to first in that game), I agree that Sox have this series in hand.

Roberts had a horrible game from a managerial perspective, but the players need to make plays. He did however squash the Dodgers' momentum almost immediately after that big inning by leaving Hill in there, who had just admitted he was tired. If a pitcher actually admits that to you, get him the hell out of the game. Most will deny anything and everything to stay in the game.

I'm really not a fan of this brand of all-or-nothing baseball that the Dodgers have embraced. Too much focus on 100% swings and launch angle and no focus on manufacturing runs. Any professional hitter worth his salt should abuse these shifts with bunt base hits repeatedly. Players don't attempt steals even against the worst pitchers at holding runners (often closers).

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

I’m not a fan of the Donald but he’s not really that wrong here imo

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously the dumb ass didn't know the player told his manager that he was gassed.

What else would you expect? He's that guy who speaks on everything as if he's an expert, but in reality is the most informed man in the discussion. Somehow speaking with conviction TRUMPS facts and civil, educated discourse these days.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inane Puig statement aside (and silly Kinsler point, since the Sox scored themselves following an error on a throw to first in that game), I agree that Sox have this series in hand.

Roberts had a horrible game from a managerial perspective, but the players need to make plays. He did however squash the Dodgers' momentum almost immediately after that big inning by leaving Hill in there, who had just admitted he was tired. If a pitcher actually admits that to you, get him the hell out of the game. Most will deny anything and everything to stay in the game.

I'm really not a fan of this brand of all-or-nothing baseball that the Dodgers have embraced. Too much focus on 100% swings and launch angle and no focus on manufacturing runs. Any professional hitter worth his salt should abuse these shifts with bunt base hits repeatedly. Players don't attempt steals even against the worst pitchers at holding runners (often closers).

the irony

... you’re describing the 2004 Red Sox before game 4 of the WS

too bad Roberts is managing instead of playing

... well, too bad for you anyway