• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Battle for the bottom.....Houston 8/8-10

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won't be able to get much for EA, if anything. The trade for Kemp is fine by me. Sure, he has had bad luck with injuries in the past, but when he's in the field he'll be our best, or 2nd best player.

Butler hasnt been that productive in a few years (maybe playing in KC has waned on him) but I'm still not that interested.

I know its a "best case scenario" but its also a "never gonna happen" scenario. We don't get top pitching FA's here. We simply dont. Shields, Lester, and guys in that tier I wouldnt even get optimistic about. We're far more likely to bring back a McCarthey, or get Gallardo, or get a couple guys coming off injury who are signed to an incentive laden deal (morrow or J Johnson). Not even thinking about lester. I see no reason as to why he'd wanna come here.

What, are we gonna magically get the money to pay for him? Sure, Rios will be gone, but I'm still not seeing how we add much more especially after an abortion like this season has been.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, is Matt Kemp that much more of a risk then Prince Fielder coming back and hitting 25+ bombs?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, is Matt Kemp that much more of a risk then Prince Fielder coming back and hitting 25+ bombs?

Kemp can't play the OF. He has a 134 wRC+ and his fWAR is only 0.6. Unless he's gonna DH and solve the Mitch Moreland problem, I don't really want him in the OF. Texas has enough shitty OFs on the 40 man.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kemp can't play the OF. He has a 134 wRC+ and his fWAR is only 0.6. Unless he's gonna DH and solve the Mitch Moreland problem, I don't really want him in the OF. Texas has enough shitty OFs on the 40 man.

He's just as good, if not better than Rios, Choo, and Choice defensively. I'd have much more confidence sticking him out there than any of the aforementioned.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been saying for years that MM is not worth the time or effort, I'd rather give Butler a shot by providing him a change of scenery and some new teammates.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying for years that MM is not worth the time or effort, I'd rather give Butler a shot by providing him a change of scenery and some new teammates.

I simply dont understand where we're getting the money to sign Butler Lester etc

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just as good, if not better than Rios, Choo, and Choice defensively. I'd have much more confidence sticking him out there than any of the aforementioned.

There is zero data available that suggests he is better than Rios or Choo defensively and neither of those guys are defensive stalwarts. I didn't just make that claim before I researched it.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? next year we have Choo, Beltre JPA, Fielder that will be sharing DH. Probably missed one or two.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't see Beltre buying off on that. they have trouble getting him to even take a day off. and if they tried he would probably request a trade

Is Beltre the manager or GM? Nope, I have a feeling if they decided it was the best thing he would go along with it, he's a professional, he might pout a little bit at first but he would get on board eventually IMO

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I simply dont understand where we're getting the money to sign Butler Lester etc

Money is the easiest thing to come by in the major leagues IMO. This team has money, and will have a lot more if Prince is determined to be permanently damaged.

You can talk budgets. But in reality, if this team wants to make something happen, they can financially make it happen. $$ will not be the stumbling block.

Do you get the sense that Butler would really benefit from a change of scenery?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won't be able to get much for EA, if anything. The trade for Kemp is fine by me. Sure, he has had bad luck with injuries in the past, but when he's in the field he'll be our best, or 2nd best player.

Butler hasnt been that productive in a few years (maybe playing in KC has waned on him) but I'm still not that interested.

I know its a "best case scenario" but its also a "never gonna happen" scenario. We don't get top pitching FA's here. We simply dont. Shields, Lester, and guys in that tier I wouldnt even get optimistic about. We're far more likely to bring back a McCarthey, or get Gallardo, or get a couple guys coming off injury who are signed to an incentive laden deal (morrow or J Johnson). Not even thinking about lester. I see no reason as to why he'd wanna come here.

What, are we gonna magically get the money to pay for him? Sure, Rios will be gone, but I'm still not seeing how we add much more especially after an abortion like this season has been.

Never gonna happen scenarios are your forte, Rios for some poor suckers top pitching prospect comes to mind

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money is the easiest thing to come by in the major leagues IMO. This team has money, and will have a lot more if Prince is determined to be permanently damaged.

You can talk budgets. But in reality, if this team wants to make something happen, they can financially make it happen. $$ will not be the stumbling block.

Do you get the sense that Butler would really benefit from a change of scenery?

Agreed about the money, Fielder or not

No, I think Butler is toast, as its been stated we have plenty of DH types already in Choo, Fielder & Beltre

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, I think Butler is toast, as its been stated we have plenty of DH types already in Choo, Fielder & Beltre

I'm glad nobody is classifying MM as a DH. For some reason, my gut says JD will keep him and " give him another shot".

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They have to rebuild this team around quality starting pitching which means they better find a way to make the money work for them. Harrison's contract which is covered by an insurance policy will almost assuredly be coming off the books next year along with the money owed Rios and they can get creative enough to make it happen within the budget constraints or close to probably. The offense may or may not get much better next season as originally constructed to start this year, but it will matter none if the pitching staff does not get upgraded significantly

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Choo considered a horrible OF always? I know he sucked in center for the Reds, but from a corner perspective what was the take?

I thought he was considered and average to above average OF when not playing center.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad nobody is classifying MM as a DH. For some reason, my gut says JD will keep him and " give him another shot".

Jesus Christ, nobody is classifying Moreland as a DH BECUASE NO ONE IS EVEN TALKING ABOUT HIM, you are the one that constantly brings him up

Did he shun your romantic advances one time or something? Are you a jilted lover? Just curious b/c this hatefest with Moreland is just borderline weird now

:scratch:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Choo considered a horrible OF always? I know he sucked in center for the Reds, but from a corner perspective what was the take?

I thought he was considered and average to above average OF when not playing center.

Not taking last year into account his defensive metrics were no where near as awful of an outfielder as he has displayed so far this year, but then they can be skewed some based on not taking into account bad routes, poor jumps and other things that might have factored

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to rebuild this team around quality starting pitching which means they better find a way to make the money work for them. Harrison's contract which is covered by an insurance policy will almost assuredly be coming off the books next year along with the money owed Rios and they can get creative enough to make it happen within the budget constraints or close to probably. The offense may or may not get much better next season as originally constructed to start this year, but it will matter none if the pitching staff does not get upgraded significantly

Agreed 100%, they should know that the easiest way to improve this squad going forward and quickly is to sign a big time pitcher

Its going to require boosting the budget, but thats going to happen when a guy (Harrison) you were counting on for the next few years has his career unexpectedly (probably) cut short, that left a huge hole in the rotation, not to mention the setback for Martin Perez and there's nothing of that caliber on the horizon in the minors

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not taking last year into account his defensive metrics were no where near as awful of an outfielder as he has displayed so far this year.

Exactly, I don't know why he all of a sudden looks so clueless playing in the OF, I mean he was bad in CF, but he didn't look clueless, just rangeless

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No. But you're ignoring the what-if scenario of, Prince doesn't come back to even close to his former self and Kemp goes down yet again. Both, real possibilities.

You were the one worrying about money. How's losing about $200 mil in guys who can't produce work for ya?