• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Barbie (2023)

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mario is definitely #1.

I do think Spiderverse could beat out Guardians 3 in the US which is pretty massive imo.

Fast X doing well overseas probably locks that into the top 5.

Barbie I suspect should match Little Mermaid. Which would be a win.
That said, who knows with Barbie. I have no idea what their advertising budget is but they've certainly targeted me more than any movie recently.
I read somewhere that their marketing budget was around $80 million so with their rumored production budget of $100 million if they can get even 3/4 of that $180 million back opening weekend it’ll end up a huge success no matter what.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere that their marketing budget was around $80 million so with their rumored production budget of $100 million if they can get even 3/4 of that $180 million back opening weekend it’ll end up a huge success no matter what.
Production budget of $100 mil should probably be the norm, tbh. I think Oppenheimer has a similar budget. I suspect that movie is closer to a break even but that might play around the world fairly well just due to its subject matter.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Studios get around 1/2 of the box office, so they need some 360 million just to break even, but Barbie will get there real fast, it's going to be a huge success for WB.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the remaining major movies this year are not going to even get close:
The Hunger Games Prequel movie The Ballad of Serpents and Scorpions comes out later in the year might.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correction I got it wrong, It's the Ballad of Songbirds and Scorpions

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This movie rocked. 5 stars. No. ALL THE STARS

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The movie wasn’t made for me but it was decent. My girlfriend loved it as she grew up with Barbie so she was really happy. To me there were a few good moments
basically anything involving Ken taking over Barbie land
but basically the movie is exactly what you think it is or will be in terms of message and tone.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. 340 Million opening weekend, biggest since Spider-Man: No way home.

We can discuss the message and content all we want, but at least nobody's going to say "get woke, go broke". I'm still looking fw to seeing it this week.

Reactions: ill

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. 340 Million opening weekend, biggest since Spider-Man: No way home.

We can discuss the message and content all we want, but at least nobody's going to say "get woke, go broke". I'm still looking fw to seeing it this week.
Went to the drive in and watched it last night and the whole time I was wondering how many of the rednecks there wish they could start their big trucks and drive out of there.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to assume their marketing was WAAAAAAAAY more than $80M (about 50% of the production budget). This thing was marketed to hell, even certain major sites changed their background for it (that costs a ton btw to ask for that).

And no surprise, it's a giant political feminist movie. It's not Barbie... they should've just renamed the movie to "WOMEN GOOD MEN BAD" and called it a day. 1/10 political bullshit. Was hoping it'd be something decent like Mario was.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to assume their marketing was WAAAAAAAAY more than $80M (about 50% of the production budget). This thing was marketed to hell, even certain major sites changed their background for it (that costs a ton btw to ask for that).

Not all of the marketing is coming from WB. Mattel also invested a lot in this movie.

Now, with this being a massive success, they will keep spending on Marketing.

And no surprise, it's a giant political feminist movie. It's not Barbie... they should've just renamed the movie to "WOMEN GOOD MEN BAD" and called it a day. 1/10 political bullshit. Was hoping it'd be something decent like Mario was.

It's a Barbie movie aimed at women. What did you expect? In reality it's messaging is pretty mild.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a Barbie movie aimed at women. What did you expect? In reality it's messaging is pretty mild.

I get it's for women, fine. But the messaging is what's so stupid. "Women don't need men, all men are meanies and trying to control us. Once she goes into the real world men are all sexist pervs and trying to control women!"

What the F kind of message is that for your daughter? There's many good Western men that are hard working and great husbands/fathers. The reason women were given the right to vote was because of men who felt women should have that right (even though they did nothing to earn it, no war, no sacrifice, women/children first etc.). The end message is, live alone - don't live with a man. The patriarchy is a thing and men are stopping women from being better.

Get the fuck out with that propaganda bullshit. The movie went entirely political and ZERO surprise a feminist was in charge of it all.

And I love the whole "Women don't need men." Oh yah? The roads you drive on in your car, the healthcare you have, the infrastructure (plumbing, electric, sewers, heat/AC, houses, hotels, stores, etc), your dumbass phones and technology that carries you through the day, the office chairs you sit your fatass in, the food, the protection (fire/police/military), etc. is ALL because of men.

I love at the end it tried to shame men more implying that a WOMAN created Barbie. BITCH (Movie anyway) SHE WAS CEO OF THE FUCKIN' COMPANY FOR 30 FUCKIN' YEARS! Seriously fuck this film. 0/10.

Last edited:

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it's for women, fine. But the messaging is what's so stupid. "Women don't need men, all men are meanies and trying to control us. Once she goes into the real world men are all sexist pervs and trying to control women!"

What the F kind of message is that for your daughter? There's many good Western men that are hard working and great husbands/fathers. The reason women were given the right to vote was because of men who felt women should have that right (even though they did nothing to earn it, no war, no sacrifice, women/children first etc.). The end message is, live alone - don't live with a man. The patriarchy is a thing and men are stopping women from being better.

Get the fuck out with that propaganda bullshit. The movie went entirely political and ZERO surprise a feminist was in charge of it all.

And I love the whole "Women don't need men." Oh yah? The roads you drive on in your car, the healthcare you have, the infrastructure (plumbing, electric, sewers, heat/AC, houses, hotels, stores, etc), your dumbass phones and technology that carries you through the day, the office chairs you sit your fatass in, the food, the protection (fire/police/military), etc. is ALL because of men.

I love at the end it tried to shame men more implying that a WOMAN created Barbie. BITCH (Movie anyway) SHE WAS CEO OF THE FUCKIN' COMPANY FOR 30 FUCKIN' YEARS! Seriously fuck this film. 0/10.

Billy Crystal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

It's just a Barbie movie... not meant to be taken that seriously. My 17yo daughter perfectly understood that the "real" world is a parody, an exaggeration of our reality.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if you wait to the end you realize that that isn't the actual message they are pushing.

they are also saying that Ken is still something without Barbie and that he can be whatever he wants to be.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they are also saying that Ken is still something without Barbie and that he can be whatever he wants to be.
Except he can't be with Barbie or in charge, I'm guessing?

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one’s beating Mario at $1.3 billion. Also I don’t see it beating Across the Spiderverse which is currently at almost $700 million. Spiderverse’s first week in the US did about $120 million which I think Barbie will do, but I don’t see Barbie having the legs Spider-Man did when people realize it’s not a movie to take your children to.

Looking at this list, I don’t see it beating any movie in the top 5.

Barbie just had a $162 million opening, beating any movie this year, including Mario by $16 million. It will almost certainly finish the year in top 2, and at worst at #3.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you watched Barbie week 1?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you wait to the end you realize that that isn't the actual message they are pushing.

He didn't watch the movie. Don't bother

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except he can't be with Barbie or in charge, I'm guessing?
Never said that.

He is losing his shit because he thinks he's nothing without Barbie because it's always Barbie and Ken.

Basically the movie is about how not letting society dictate what you are, whether it be a patriarchy or Barbie-archy