• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Barbie (2023)

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we now live In a society where supposed grown men are diagnosing a fucking Barbie movie as to its societal impact.

I mean...what the fuck.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we now live In a society where supposed grown men are diagnosing a fucking Barbie movie as to its societal impact.

I mean...what the fuck.
It's a PG-13 movie.

That said, there is a ton of good media out right now so there really isn't any reason to focus on this

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is losing his shit because he thinks he's nothing without Barbie because it's always Barbie and Ken.

Basically the movie is about how not letting society dictate what you are, whether it be a patriarchy or Barbie-archy
Does society wire men to want to hook up with Barbie? That's our nature. That isn't society

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a PG-13 movie.

That said, there is a ton of good media out right now so there really isn't any reason to focus on this

do we diagnose Marvel movies now also? point being movies music etc are always pushing some kind of barrier but dude...it's flipping Barbie. I can't imagine how Clockwork Orange would land these days.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the beginning was a drag(although I get it because they have to establish the current life of the Barbies) and not very funny. I thought the last 20ish minutes were a total slog and blahhh.

But the middle hourish when they first get to the real world until the climax was pretty fucking good actually. Lot of good bits and jokes.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do we diagnose Marvel movies now also? point being movies music etc are always pushing some kind of barrier but dude...it's flipping Barbie. I can't imagine how Clockwork Orange would land these days.
I generally comment on Marvel movies. It does seem thats run its course for the most part but maybe there will be something new in the Marvel pipeline that breaks the molds already set.

I don't think anyone will compare Barbie to something like Raw which is a coming of age sisterhood about cannibalism. Barbie is capitalism in 2023. I think there is some idea that going woke means going broke but thats not right. Female empowerment as a message is pretty firmly ingrained in the mainstream. Anchorman is an old comedy about an even older time period. Bewitched, Mary Tyler Moore. We're getting into classic TV here.

The patriarchy is stupid. I feel thats pretty well established as mainstream. For something to be really 'on the nose' of today's politics, it has to speak to the flaws of 'equitable' meritocracy as thats closer to what the mainstream wants. Thats probably going to come from more independent sources.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I generally comment on Marvel movies. It does seem thats run its course for the most part but maybe there will be something new in the Marvel pipeline that breaks the molds already set.

I don't think anyone will compare Barbie to something like Raw which is a coming of age sisterhood about cannibalism. Barbie is capitalism in 2023. I think there is some idea that going woke means going broke but thats not right. Female empowerment as a message is pretty firmly ingrained in the mainstream. Anchorman is an old comedy about an even older time period. Bewitched, Mary Tyler Moore. We're getting into classic TV here.

The patriarchy is stupid. I feel thats pretty well established as mainstream. For something to be really 'on the nose' of today's politics, it has to speak to the flaws of 'equitable' meritocracy as thats closer to what the mainstream wants. Thats probably going to come from more independent sources.

do you comment on every finite deal on Marvel movies on the sense of its political impact?

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me the movie’s biggest miss was it got way to preachy at times and even though I agree with the message, it was presented so horribly that it took away from the movie.

There's a difference between "having a message" and just straight up preaching a sermon and hitting you over the head with it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you comment on every finite deal on Marvel movies on the sense of its political impact?
I think Civil War was the only movie in the MCU where I did. I do think its trying to be more serious than the others movies, for that thats worth. I think it meets Watchmen halfway which is a 'have your cake and eat it, too' type of movie.

I also think the Dark Knight and certainly the recent Batman movie have a lot of politics in them. She-Hulk.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Civil War was the only movie in the MCU where I did. I do think its trying to be more serious than the others movies, for that thats worth. I think it meets Watchmen halfway which is a 'have your cake and eat it, too' type of movie.

I also think the Dark Knight and certainly the recent Batman movie have a lot of politics in them. She-Hulk.

we can go back to a lot of movies and point out political impact or commentary. point being is we mostly accepted this as art before and now we nitpick all of it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
point being is we mostly accepted this as art before and now we nitpick all of it.
I don't think thats the case at all. If you released this Barbie movie in the 80s, you'd probably have the silent majority burning Barbies after church.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think thats the case at all. If you released this Barbie movie in the 80s, you'd probably have the silent majority burning Barbies after church.

90s 2000s I'm mostly going back to of us as a society not being a bunch of vaginas

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its worth noting how much women have changed since the 90s. 24% of women in 1990 had a Bachelors Degree or higher and I think that number is closer to 45-50% right now. Women now have 57.7% of bachelor's degrees, 60.7% of masters degrees, and 54.1% of doctorates. US women are notably smarter than US men on average and thats relatively new. Pre-millennials you could make some jokes about women being a little smarter but post-millennial its not even really close.

I think what might be getting some people upset is the idea that maybe feminism is punching down. Which is kinda wild because of glass ceilings. But in 15 years...I wouldn't be shocked if very few men were actually in charge of things.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its worth noting how much women have changed since the 90s. 24% of women in 1990 had a Bachelors Degree or higher and I think that number is closer to 45-50% right now. Women now have 57.7% of bachelor's degrees, 60.7% of masters degrees, and 54.1% of doctorates. US women are notably smarter than US men on average and thats relatively new. Pre-millennials you could make some jokes about women being a little smarter but post-millennial its not even really close.

I think what might be getting some people upset is the idea that maybe feminism is punching down. Which is kinda wild because of glass ceilings. But in 15 years...I wouldn't be shocked if very few men were actually in charge of things.
so you think it is because men are no longer sitting on top of the totem poll?

and there are still plenty of men in charge. Don't be so dramatic. A majority of CEOs are male.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reactions: ill

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you think it is because men are no longer sitting on top of the totem poll?

and there are still plenty of men in charge. Don't be so dramatic. A majority of CEOs are male.
Of course they're sitting on top of the totem pole. Reread my post.

I will say that Barbie (and also weirdly Oppenheimer) seem to be doing way better than I thought

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they're sitting on top of the totem pole. Reread my post.

I will say that Barbie (and also weirdly Oppenheimer) seem to be doing way better than I thought

They just murdered Tom Cruise and MI 7, which is a shame because that's a great movie.

But Barbenheimer is just a huge cultural phenomenon.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just murdered Tom Cruise and MI 7, which is a shame because that's a great movie.

The MI movies always do well overseas and while it definitely won’t hit the numbers Fallout did it will probably finish around movies 2, 4, 5 at the BO.