• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G vs. Big East Challenge

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another great conference tournament challenge to kick off the college basketball season. The match ups were just announced yesterday:

Tuesday, Nov. 17:

Georgetown at Maryland
DePaul at Penn State
Nebraska at Villanova

Wednesday, Nov. 18:

Illinois at Providence

Thursday, Nov. 19:

Creighton at Indiana
Iowa at Marquette
Rutgers at St. John's

Friday, Nov. 20:

Xavier at Michigan

It's an odd setup with only 8 games. Butler and Seton Hall aren't participating this year for the Big East and Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State and Purdue for the B1G.

I would have loved to see Nova match up with IU and Creighton and Nebraska play. Would have been much more evenly matched that way. Outside of those mismatches, the rest of the games figure to be competitive(Maybe not Rutgers/St. John's)

MD/G-Town should be two top 15 teams.
Illinois/Providence should be two tournament teams.
Xavier/Michigan should be two tournament teams.
Iowa/Marquette look like bubble teams.
Penn State and DePaul will probably both suck, but competitive none the less.

As always after this, the B1G will take on the ACC a couple weeks later. Match ups for that are TBD, I think.

Reactions: H2S

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lame that for the first year the Big10 didn't send a lot of their best. Also the 8 team thing is dumb.

Complete shame that Nova is playing fucking Nebraska. That game will be a homocide.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lame that for the first year the Big10 didn't send a lot of their best. Also the 8 team thing is dumb.

Complete shame that Nova is playing fucking Nebraska. That game will be a homocide.
Hoping for the best, but it doesn't look good.

Also, could we not have at least had the home game for that? We play another Big East team (Creighton) on the road a week or two later.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping for the best, but it doesn't look good.

Also, could we not have at least had the home game for that? We play another Big East team (Creighton) on the road a week or two later.

Yeah it's just ridiculous that they give Nova a home game against a rebuilding type team.

Not a knock on Nebraska it's a knock on the system. This event should try to make as even of match ups possible. Give Nova someone like Maryland, MSU or something.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it's just ridiculous that they give Nova a home game against a rebuilding type team.

Not a knock on Nebraska it's a knock on the system. This event should try to make as even of match ups possible. Give Nova someone like Maryland, MSU or something.
Last year we beat MSU and nearly beat Maryland on the road :behindsofa:

But this year we won't have Petteway, so there's that.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that makes the B1G v. ACC so fun is that it features teams playing similarly regarded teams. If the conferences have clear #1s, they play each other and it is great basketball. Of course, this year fans were treated to a preview of the National Title Game. That won't happen every year, but there is almost always a game between two Final Four contenders.

Next year, Nova and Maryland will be the clear favorite in the two conferences. Why on Earth aren't they playing? At least MD-G'Town is a good game between two cross-metro rivals. Nova's getting screwed. Why have this "challenge" if the Big East #1 is playing the Big Ten #12? Either have a challenge or don't have a challenge, cause that is unacceptable.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed, lots of good games there to start the season.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the point of this with no Wisconsin, MSU or Ohio State?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the point of this with no Wisconsin, MSU or Ohio State?

It's going on for 8 years.

So most big10 teams will only participate 4 times

Where as the BE teams are guranteed 6 appearances while 4 of them get 7.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's just a weird set up. Missing 6 B1G teams per year means there's going to be quality teams not participating. Next year we'll miss Butler from the Big East, who I think will be back in the NCAA Tournament. All 10 Big East teams should be participating every year. I think they should have done it like the ACC/B1G challenge. The worst 4 teams in the B1G don't participate. You want to participate get better. I'm looking at you Rutgers, Nebraska, Minnesota and Penn State.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that makes the B1G v. ACC so fun is that it features teams playing similarly regarded teams. If the conferences have clear #1s, they play each other and it is great basketball. Of course, this year fans were treated to a preview of the National Title Game. That won't happen every year, but there is almost always a game between two Final Four contenders.

Next year, Nova and Maryland will be the clear favorite in the two conferences. Why on Earth aren't they playing? At least MD-G'Town is a good game between two cross-metro rivals. Nova's getting screwed. Why have this "challenge" if the Big East #1 is playing the Big Ten #12? Either have a challenge or don't have a challenge, cause that is unacceptable.

Agree, since the tournament is in its infancy they could have made sure, if these were the teams that were going to participate this year, to not have Nova, Maryland and IU all at home. Those are arguably the three top teams to participate next year out of the 16 teams. As somebody who grew up an hour away from MD and G-Town, I'm very much looking forward to them playing, so I'm fine with that. They really should have found a way then for IU and Nova to play. Even Marquette against IU would have offered up intrigue.

In a perfect world some combination of Nova/Georgetown vs. MD/IU and if that couldn't have happened why not stick IU against Marquette and Iowa against Creighton? I think they missed the boat on this one.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent. Good stuff for both conferences...and cbb.

:suds:

s'gonna be tough, though, catching much of the tourney's first day's 3 games - what with attention (mine, at least) riveted on the Champion's Classic games in Chicago on 17NOV (UK vs DUKE; KU vs MSU).

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent. Good stuff for both conferences...and cbb.

:suds:

s'gonna be tough, though, catching much of the tourney's first day's 3 games - what with attention (mine, at least) riveted on the Champion's Classic games in Chicago on 17NOV (UK vs DUKE; KU vs MSU).

It will be interesting when MSU participates how they schedule them around the Champions Classic. My guess is they play the Champions Classic game Tuesday and be scheduled for this challenge on the same Friday.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting when MSU participates how they schedule them around the Champions Classic. My guess is they play the Champions Classic game Tuesday and be scheduled for this challenge on the same Friday.

Izzo is well known for his "Anybody/Anytime/Anyplace" (trite for most - real for Izzo) mantra...State plays as tough an ooc lineup, year-in year-out, as anybody in the country. I'm sure we'll be participating in this one sooner than later.

MSU already has a delicious plate for the 2015 ooc, including Kansas on 17NOV; Arizona at the Wooden Legacy on 26,27,or 29NOV; and an unknown ACC/B1G opponent in early December.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, since the tournament is in its infancy they could have made sure, if these were the teams that were going to participate this year, to not have Nova, Maryland and IU all at home. Those are arguably the three top teams to participate next year out of the 16 teams. As somebody who grew up an hour away from MD and G-Town, I'm very much looking forward to them playing, so I'm fine with that. They really should have found a way then for IU and Nova to play. Even Marquette against IU would have offered up intrigue.

In a perfect world some combination of Nova/Georgetown vs. MD/IU and if that couldn't have happened why not stick IU against Marquette and Iowa against Creighton? I think they missed the boat on this one.

Yup. There is truly no reason to not have all 10 BE teams participating in it.

Maybe not eliminating the bottom 4 each year as that would make for a few uneven match ups. But def keep the Big10s big dogs in it yearly(osu,MSU,wisky, MD and probably Michigan in most cases).

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IU vs Marquette would have been a great game. It's like they threw darts at a dart board to decide the match ups. If they really want this thing to catch on they need quality match ups and to actually include all the B1G's top schools. Failed this year, no question.