• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Awkward Overreaction from week 1: Are The Eagles The Best Team in the NFC East?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan was one of the guys he liked, but Roseman was the one with draft control.

Chip got his guy because Roseman agreed to get him. This is how a GM and coach work, coaches like lots of guys but the GM makes the call on which ones. Chip got Agholor because he was fully in charge and put his yes man in the personnel spot and no GM was there to counter. He traded up for Rowe in the 2nd round for a guy already sent packing (for a 4th round pick). He's not even dressing for his new team.

Yes McCoy only had 70 yards and a score the other day. Remind me how Kiko Alonso's season in Philly was... And what we did with 42 million dollars to replace him.

Name the personnel moves he made that helped Philly.

I'll get you started...

Byron Maxwell monster deal
Bradford as franchise QB deal
Kiko Alonso for McCoy
Not matching Maclin on his new deal
Huge Demarco Murray contract to replace McCoy
2015 draft (3 picks out of league, 2nd rounder doesn't dress and gone, 1st rounder was least productive WR in league)
Moved Evan Mathis
Made Bill Davis his defensive coordinator.

Bradford's best seasons were easily 2012 and 2013. Bradford was horrible in all the area's you need to win games last year (3rd down, red zone, 2 minute drill).

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If he made great moves, got a solid QB, etc when he became the de-facto GM before last season, then why did the team completely crumble under him when he was playing in a weak division and with an easier strength of schedule?

You know how bad he was with personnel.... Your brightest spot you keep hyping is Sam fucking Bradfords Eagles career and we only gave up a 2nd and a 4th for him.

Pretty sure DJax decision was on Chip's watch as well.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip dismantled Philly and only won early on because of what Andy Reid set up. Philly fans have accepted it already and moved on. Not sure why others still defend Kelly.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip dismantled Philly and only won early on because of what Andy Reid set up. Philly fans have accepted it already and moved on. Not sure why others still defend Kelly.

Yes, I thought this was the consensus among everyone. Did he win some games? Sure. Did he set the franchise back at least a half-decade? Certainly.

He had two #1 WR's in their prime and ended up getting absolutely nothing for either of them. He had a legit #1 RB and ended up with absolutely nothing from that trade. Sure he brought in a QB that ended up netting them a 1st rounder, but that is about the only positive I think Chip had on the Eagles franchise. And this is from a Dallas fan that loves that he took a good thing and dismantled it.

Chip is a speculative day-trader, and nothing else. He tried to play fast and loose and look like the smartest guy in the room. He failed miserably.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I thought this was the consensus among everyone. Did he win some games? Sure. Did he set the franchise back at least a half-decade? Certainly.

He had two #1 WR's in their prime and ended up getting absolutely nothing for either of them. He had a legit #1 RB and ended up with absolutely nothing from that trade. Sure he brought in a QB that ended up netting them a 1st rounder, but that is about the only positive I think Chip had on the Eagles franchise. And this is from a Dallas fan that loves that he took a good thing and dismantled it.
Kelly has some good schemes and ideas, but his dogmatic idea that his scheme can make up for a lack of talent is frustrating at best.

I don't fault them for not keeping Maclin, as a) the Chiefs overpaid for him and b) the Chiefs illegally contacted Maclin. Jackson was entirely his fault. The offensive line was entirely his fault. The shit-show in the secondary was entirely his fault. Billy Davis was his fault.

Keep him away from talent evaluation, and he can win you some games.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my god. I gave him some credit for those moves.

I'm just saying that he a really shitty GM... A single player doesn't change that. And I don't care if he was a solid coach, if he wasn't willing to give up that GM role in Philly (he wasn't), it doesn't matter. Because he couldn't win with the guys HE picked.

You've spent post after post just bringing up 1 player. I don't care that Matt Millen felt Calvin Johnson was a stud. It's the overall that matters. And overall, Chip Kelly's first year is still by far his best, and his year he had GM duties the talent on the roster fell apart despite him spending like crazy.

You're nuts. man. I've spent post after post bringing up one player? More like you have. I'm just replying to you insistence that JM isn't Chip's guy (even though you finally admitted he is).

Your owner and GM are two of the worst in the league. He gave Kelly control, and should have honored it. But no, crabby Philly fans with zero patience couldn't handle it and ran him out of town. Now you have a D2 QB and no draft picks. Pretty sure Chip wouldn't have done that to you.

And Millen drafted Levy too. @Old Lion 's favorite player ever. Ironic. :pound:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Andy Reid had two losing seasons with the same players Chip Kelly then went 10-6 back to back seasons with. Some of you guys just eat up whatever rhetoric the media feeds you, do zero research on your own, and move on.

Didn't Philly just give Fletcher Cox 100 million? And they were going to do that with Shady, DJax and the rest still hanging around forever?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip is a speculative day-trader, and nothing else. He tried to play fast and loose and look like the smartest guy in the room. He failed miserably.

Back to back double digit winning seasons is failing miserably? Cowboys haven't done that since the mid 90's.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're nuts. man. I've spent post after post bringing up one player? More like you have. I'm just replying to you insistence that JM isn't Chip's guy (even though you finally admitted he is).

Your owner and GM are two of the worst in the league. He gave Kelly control, and should have honored it. But no, crabby Philly fans with zero patience couldn't handle it and ran him out of town. Now you have a D2 QB and no draft picks. Pretty sure Chip wouldn't have done that to you.

Just his beard.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're nuts. man. I've spent post after post bringing up one player? More like you have. I'm just replying to you insistence that JM isn't CVhip's guy (even though you finally admitted he is).

It's hard to say who the fans hated more, Roseman or Kelly. If Wentz works out, great. If not, I hope it's finally the pink slip Roseman's been working towards for the last 4 years.

And Kelly wouldn't have traded away Murray, Maxwell, or Alonso (guys he brought in). Trading those salaries helped free up room to sign Cox.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy Reid had two losing seasons with the same players Chip Kelly then went 10-6 back to back seasons with. Some of you guys just eat up whatever rhetoric the media feeds you, do zero research on your own, and move on.

Didn't Philly just give Fletcher Cox 100 million? And they were going to do that with Shady, DJax and the rest still hanging around forever?

You obviously did your own research because you are the only person in the world that feels this way.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You obviously did your own research because you are the only person in the world that feels this way.

Well I'm not a sheep that just eats up whatever the media feeds me.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to say who the fans hated more, Roseman or Kelly. If Wentz works out, great. If not, I hope it's finally the pink slip Roseman's been working towards for the last 4 years.

And Kelly wouldn't have traded away Murray, Maxwell, or Alonso (guys he brought in). Trading those salaries helped free up room to sign Cox.

We will never know what he may or may have not done, because that contract was pulled out from under him. I just hope your guys give Wentz more time than they gave Chip. Cause hes gonna need it.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will never know what he may or may have not done, because that contract was pulled out from under him. I just hope your guys give Wentz more time than they gave Chip. Cause hes gonna need it.
Kelly treated "his" guys well. It was the guys that didn't buy in (see: Shady, D-Jax) that he got rid of.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I dont get any Philly media here either so....

Right. So you saw Reid go back to back losing seasons with the same guys Chip went back to back winning seasons with, and decided on your own, that somehow Chip only won because of the players.

I'm sure it makes sense to you, somehow.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly treated "his" guys well. It was the guys that didn't buy in (see: Shady, D-Jax) that he got rid of.

Those were good moves. Aging vets making big money. Both are done in the NFL. I totally get the attachment by Eagle fans. But everyone can't stay forever.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. So you saw Reid go back to back losing seasons with the same guys Chip went back to back winning seasons with, and decided on your own, that somehow Chip only won because of the players.

I'm sure it makes sense to you, somehow.

Yes, players develop. Teams take time to gel. Schemes dont always fit players and need to be adjusted. For some reason team concepts are lost on you.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wish our GM had gotten rid of guys like Calvin and Tulloch sooner. We'd be a lot better off now had he done here what Chip did in Philly.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those were good moves. Aging vets making big money. Both are done in the NFL. I totally get the attachment by Eagle fans. But everyone can't stay forever.
Disagree completely.

Getting rid of Jackson for nothing was stupid.

Getting rid of Shady and replacing him with the most expensive backfield in football didn't work in any way, shape, or form.

Perhaps moving on from them was the right move, but the returns he got back on both were atrocious.