• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Avengers 4: Endgame (2019)

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So no examples got it.

Pretty much every war movie ever made. Reservoir Dogs. Pulp Fiction. Nearly every movie that wasn't a romantic comedy prior to 1980.

Seriously, your argument is so ridiculous I question whether you even watch movies.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR, when I saw that 10 second clip of the women all together I knew that there would be a bunch of dudes offended that a comic book movie would try to appeal to non-males. How dare they try to appeal to the other 50% of the population.

How did you immediately know? Maybe, because it was noticeably contrived?

Nobody is offended...for fuck's sake, get real. It's just an observation, that was obviously noticed by many, yourself included.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did you immediately know? Maybe, because it was noticeably contrived?

Because we have certain expectations and standards that we've been conditioned to expect from movies. Show all the male characters doing the same thing and no one even notices. But show 10 seconds where they have the women together and it becomes something that needs to be complained about. Because apparently 10 seconds is just too much time in which 90% of the screen time was men dealing with other men.

Nobody is offended...for fuck's sake, get real. It's just an observation, that was obviously noticed by many, yourself included.

There was a great movie this year called If Beale Street Could Talk. The two main leads were and African-American couple. In the film there is a romantic sex scene. Watching it, I felt like it was something almost shocking because I'm not sure if I've ever scene 2 African-Americans in a love scene that was filmed romantically.

Ultimately what was shocking is that such a scene is so uncommon.

As much as people complain about Hollywood's liberal biases, the truth is that Hollywood has been one of the most powerful forces that perpetuates the status quo.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m kinda glad they didn’t tack an end credit scene into a 3 hour long movie, but I think it would have been hilarious if Stan Lee’s cameo was in that and they did the Ferris Bueller it’s over go home bit. Too bad they already did that in Deadpool.

Or they could have gone meta and have him wake up like it was all a dream and he gets on the phone with a guy named “Jack” on the other end of the phone telling him he’s got a great new idea.
My wife was hoping for an end credit scene with Michael Pena (from Ant-Man) doing a recap on how he knew the people who took out Thanos and completely missing all of the important details.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife was hoping for an end credit scene with Michael Pena (from Ant-Man) doing a recap on how he knew the people who took out Thanos and completely missing all of the important details.
That would have been great.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because we have certain expectations and standards that we've been conditioned to expect from movies. Show all the male characters doing the same thing and no one even notices. But show 10 seconds where they have the women together and it becomes something that needs to be complained about. Because apparently 10 seconds is just too much time in which 90% of the screen time was men dealing with other men.

There was a great movie this year called If Beale Street Could Talk. The two main leads were and African-American couple. In the film there is a romantic sex scene. Watching it, I felt like it was something almost shocking because I'm not sure if I've ever scene 2 African-Americans in a love scene that was filmed romantically.

Ultimately what was shocking is that such a scene is so uncommon.

As much as people complain about Hollywood's liberal biases, the truth is that Hollywood has been one of the most powerful forces that perpetuates the status quo.

Ya, and that's why I don't really gaf about hollywood or fanboi comic movies.

Again, it was just an observation. There is no passion or fervor behind it. Just thought it looked forced.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much every war movie ever made. Reservoir Dogs. Pulp Fiction. Nearly every movie that wasn't a romantic comedy prior to 1980.

Seriously, your argument is so ridiculous I question whether you even watch movies.
Seriously you have zero examples and are still sticking to your weak argument that is basically there just to virtual signal.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The women united was obviously forced but I chalk that up to fan service. I think its pretty reasonable to think that the women heroes who are usually surrounded by men would actually see pride in a unit of ridiculous strong female super heroes banding together to save the universe.

I'll take the MCU's version of female heroes over something like what they are doing with Rey in Star Wars any day of the week.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, and that's why I don't really gaf about hollywood or fanboi comic movies.

Again, it was just an observation. There is no passion or fervor behind it. Just thought it looked forced.

To be clear, I wasn't trying to attack you personally. There were several people in this thread that criticized that scene and I've seen others do the same in other places.

The whole scene was basically a showcase of the entire MCU universe. In that sense it was all forced. This bit was just some fan service for the fangirl.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously you have zero examples and are still sticking to your weak argument that is basically there just to virtual signal.

Giving you examples of the norm is just a weird thing to do. You simply ignored the few I did provide.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing is I didn't even catch on to the whole girl power scene because I was too busy enjoying the movie...It was only when I went on the internet that I realized that was some kind of deal. Obviously my powers of perception failed me because, after hitting up some youtube videos, it is quite apparent if you are looking for it. What's sad about that is that way too many people were spending their time sitting on a butthurt balloon just waiting for it to pop.

One of the greatest entertainment weekends in my life (Avengers and GoT), and I'm surrounded by people gnashing their teeth because Captain Marvel had a 10 second powerpuff girl scene in a 3 hour movie. Y'all are just silly.

Upon retrospect I think they did fine addressing the Captain Marvel presence in this movie considering the Superman "she's too powerful" problem she introduced.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing is I didn't even catch on to the whole girl power scene because I was too busy enjoying the movie...It was only when I went on the internet that I realized that was some kind of deal. Obviously my powers of perception failed me because, after hitting up some youtube videos, it is quite apparent if you are looking for it. What's sad about that is that way too many people were spending their time sitting on a butthurt balloon just waiting for it to pop.

One of the greatest entertainment weekends in my life (Avengers and GoT), and I'm surrounded by people gnashing their teeth because Captain Marvel had a 10 second powerpuff girl scene in a 3 hour movie. Y'all are just silly.

Upon retrospect I think they did fine addressing the Captain Marvel presence in this movie considering the Superman "she's too powerful" problem she introduced.
Was I the only one that got a semi chub the way she said

“Hey Peter Parker”.

It was the most human she sounded in two movies whereas she otherwise comes across as wooden.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving you examples of the norm is just a weird thing to do. You simply ignored the few I did provide.
None of the "examples" you provided were of males being on screen because were males. You are completely wrong.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of the "examples" you provided were of males being on screen because were males. You are completely wrong.

Again, you don't need to intentionally do something when that something is the norm.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You say there is but cite no examples. There are zero that happen due to the gender of the males and its pandering and belittles the female heroes.

Thor, Iron Man, and Cap literally all stood together and beefed up to take on Thanos. Super hero males doing super hero things. Flash to later in the fight, Thanos got Parker and Pepper cornered. Other female super heroes arrive and beef up to take on Thanos, doing super hero things. It's the same principle. The difference is in the meta, when making films, the prior is FAR more the norm. It's males in these roles to the point where its just a given. Like @flyerhawk said, its the default. So a scene like the latter, its both equal fulfillment of that old default and a nice bit of fan service for all the girls out there who in the past never would have gotten anything like that. You're being purposely narrowminded to the answer that's staring you right in the face because your view falls apart if you acknowledge it.

I literally highlighted it, because it was ghey af. Get over it.

"Ghey af" is not an answer. I'm not being hostile with you and in fact went out of my way to make sure I wasn't but you're being overly defensive with me. It clears by what you chose to point out and how you're responding that it bothered you way more than just a simple observation.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thor, Iron Man, and Cap literally all stood together and beefed up to take on Thanos. Super hero males doing super hero things. Flash to later in the fight, Thanos got Parker and Pepper cornered. Other female super heroes arrive and beef up to take on Thanos, doing super hero things. It's the same principle. The difference is in the meta, when making films, the prior is FAR more the norm. It's males in these roles to the point where its just a given. Like @flyerhawk said, its the default. So a scene like the latter, its both equal fulfillment of that old default and a nice bit of fan service for all the girls out there who in the past never would have gotten anything like that. You're being purposely narrowminded to the answer that's staring you right in the face because your view falls apart if you acknowledge it.

"Ghey af" is not an answer. I'm not being hostile with you and in fact went out of my way to make sure I wasn't but you're being overly defensive with me. It clears by what you chose to point out and how you're responding that it bothered you way more than just a simple observation.

Dude, you are the one typing huge manifestos. I think you are the one that is bothered and defensive.

I'm entitled to my opinion. If you want to attempt to define or label that opinion, have at it. I promise you, it's not as over-complicated as you want to make it.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

These pieces you are correct. Is it doing super hero things to get all of one gender together during a fight for a photo op? No. See you obviously cant see the forrest for the trees. You have an idea what "doing super hero things" means but dont want to apply that to all super hero moments. You are wrong. I wont insult you as you chose to do but I will point out you you are wrong and my view holds it ground based on years and years of super hero movies. Its easy to see.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These pieces you are correct. Is it doing super hero things to get all of one gender together during a fight for a photo op? No. See you obviously cant see the forrest for the trees. You have an idea what "doing super hero things" means but dont want to apply that to all super hero moments. You are wrong. I wont insult you as you chose to do but I will point out you you are wrong and my view holds it ground based on years and years of super hero movies. Its easy to see.

And your entire argument is based on it being "forced." Who gives a fuck other than boys who see that and roll their eyes mumbling "of course they'd do that?" The millions of girls out there who got to see a shot of a bunch of female superheroes fighting together don't care that it was forced. Your perspective doesn't mean their 2 minutes of representation isn't merited.

When Brids of Prey, an all female DC film debuts are you going to complain that the whole thing is forced? Of course it's forced. They're making the thing that way on purpose.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you are the one typing huge manifestos. I think you are the one that is bothered and defensive.

I'm entitled to my opinion. If you want to attempt to define or label that opinion, have at it. I promise you, it's not as over-complicated as you want to make it.

I typed out a bunch because its a deeper attempt to talk about this stuff to you and others that have a problem with the scene what and why that scene actually is. It's not a simple one sentence right off as "PC garbage" or what you, hockey, or whoever said it was. You can't talk about this stuff with short, one line posts. There's a reason it stuck out for all of you to comment on it and its not as simple as you want it to be. To the ones that had a problem with it, you can address and think through those reasons and the meaning behind them that compelled to point it out to begin with or you can write it off as simply stating your opinion without ever engaging about why it sparks you that way.

You're still going with the narrow focus to hide behind. The entire movie, and movies of this genre and other movies in general, the vast majority is made up of males doing things of that nature. It's been the default. So we have males in those scenes. Then we'll have males and females mixed doing those scenes. Those are ok to you. But when its a female only scene, its "forced" and unnecessary? That's a copout.

And I've never insulted you once. Don't try to deflect

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I typed out a bunch because its a deeper attempt to talk about this stuff to you and others that have a problem with the scene what and why that scene actually is. It's not a simple one sentence right off as "PC garbage" or what you, hockey, or whoever said it was. You can't talk about this stuff with short, one line posts. There's a reason it stuck out for all of you to comment on it and its not as simple as you want it to be. To the ones that had a problem with it, you can address and think through those reasons and the meaning behind them that compelled to point it out to begin with or you can write it off as simply stating your opinion without ever engaging about why it sparks you that way.

You're still going with the narrow focus to hide behind. The entire movie, and movies of this genre and other movies in general, the vast majority is made up of males doing things of that nature. It's been the default. So we have males in those scenes. Then we'll have males and females mixed doing those scenes. Those are ok to you. But when its a female only scene, its "forced" and unnecessary? That's a copout.

And I've never insulted you once. Don't try to deflect

LOL. It stuck out, because it was poorly done. If you want to make that into some giant social sexist issue, be my guest.

Where's all the sexists complaining about black widow's pivotal death scene? Or Captain Marvel being the ultimate protagonist of the film? Oh, that's right, they're not, because those were well done, and seemed natural and organic.

I think you are taking this way too seriously.