• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Austin Davis experiment should be over now

RamsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as most of you that are upset with Fisher , I am more upset with GM Les Snead and his bad drafts. Remember the 5 seasons before Fisher :
3-13
2-14
1-15
7-9
2-14

With Bradford being out almost 2 full seasons, Fisher still has posted almost a .500 record as head coach. It is these drafts with players like Pead, Quick, Tavon Austin that have been the big problem and then not signing a better backup QB in the off season. They signed Hill and said they were confident of his being Bradford's backup so then let's see what he can do for the rest of the season and then we can criticize them for the choice if he doesn't do well.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said earlier, it doesn't matter who our qb is, they will get killed behind Wells, Joseph, Barksdale! Plus add in the play calling of Schotty and the lack of play makers on this offense only spells DISASTER!!:gaah:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Barksdake quietly had a good year last year but this year he is getting beat a lot more often in conjunction with Joseph. I think they should insert Brandon Washington at right guard because Robinson and Saffold are playing quite well on the left side and they are a couple of huge O-lineman. The fascination with Joseph is bewildering and he has proven quite often that his career is done.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the reasoning behind going to Hill is pretty clear. The defense is playing better, Tre Mason is emerging, but Davis' touchdown turnovers are really hurting the team as a whole. Sure, Davis has more upside than Hill going forward, but Hill should provide the steadier hand (if not upside threat) at QB that should reward the other facets of the team that are improving. Starting Hill should limit the devastating turnovers (in theory; we've barely seen him behind center this year).

Davis is regressing and needs a break before he gets a severe case of Bulgeritis if he's to be in the future plans (and at this point, you would think he's a candidate next season for a backup/bridge to the a newly drafted QB of the future). Even if he's only benched for a few games, seeing things from the sideline could help his development (and hopefully allow the OL to gel a bit more).

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as most of you that are upset with Fisher , I am more upset with GM Les Snead and his bad drafts. Remember the 5 seasons before Fisher :
3-13
2-14
1-15
7-9
2-14

With Bradford being out almost 2 full seasons, Fisher still has posted almost a .500 record as head coach. It is these drafts with players like Pead, Quick, Tavon Austin that have been the big problem and then not signing a better backup QB in the off season. They signed Hill and said they were confident of his being Bradford's backup so then let's see what he can do for the rest of the season and then we can criticize them for the choice if he doesn't do well.

Ehh... I don't know about all that. I don't fully blame either, but I'd be more inclined to blame coaching than I would the front office. Snead's drafts have by far been more hit than miss. I mean, of the three draftees you listed, only Isaiah Pead can truly be labeled a complete bust. The jury's still out on Tavon Austin and Brian Quick had definitely shown he'd turned the corner before his injury. Hell... the majority of the reason Davis' numbers have gone down is Quick's absence.

To cite these three guys in three years as a sign of Snead's shortcomings discredits the many good picks like Michael Brockers, Trumaine Johnson, Greg Zuerlein, Stedman Bailey, Janoris Jenkins, TJ McDonald, Alec Ogletree, Tre Mason, EJ Gaines, Greg Robinson and Aaron Donald.

Furthermore... of the last 5 years you spoke of, the only draftees remaining on on the team (and in large part, still even in the league) from that regime, are Sam Bradford, Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, Rodger Saffold and Robert Quinn. I'd say Snead has been just as much of an upgrade for the Rams (if not more so) as Fisher has.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehh... I don't know about all that. I don't fully blame either, but I'd be more inclined to blame coaching than I would the front office. Snead's drafts have by far been more hit than miss. I mean, of the three draftees you listed, only Isaiah Pead can truly be labeled a complete bust. The jury's still out on Tavon Austin and Brian Quick had definitely shown he'd turned the corner before his injury. Hell... the majority of the reason Davis' numbers have gone down is Quick's absence.

To cite these three guys in three years as a sign of Snead's shortcomings discredits the many good picks like Michael Brockers, Trumaine Johnson, Greg Zuerlein, Stedman Bailey, Janoris Jenkins, TJ McDonald, Alec Ogletree, Tre Mason, EJ Gaines, Greg Robinson and Aaron Donald.

Furthermore... of the last 5 years you spoke of, the only draftees remaining on on the team (and in large part, still even in the league) from that regime, are Sam Bradford, Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, Rodger Saffold and Robert Quinn. I'd say Snead has been just as much of an upgrade for the Rams (if not more so) as Fisher has.

Spot on Caynine and well done.
:agree: :10:

Except, from your list of 'good picks' you somehow forgot this guy!

i

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have that many draft picks, it's very difficult to NOT find some good players. And it definitely was NOT hard for Snead to come in and be an upgrade. He had 2 - 1st rounders for 3 years!!

All those draft picks is a big reason Fisher came here. The Rams have not killed it. The Trade up for Tavon was stupid. At least until he plays on first down. There have been a few guys at 5'7 170 with speed drafted between rounds 3-5 in the last 2 years. We didn't need to trade our 2nd rounder to
Move up for a slot guy that doesn't even see the field on 1st down.

However, I would agree that it appears we have drafted some good players. The Barron trade will be big down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I agree on the Austin draft day movement and some of those guys you are referring to SJ76 are doing very well in the league right now. I also agree on the Barron trade. I wanted to draft him back when but we missed and Tampa snapped him up and now what I have witnessed of this guy gets me stoked. He brings it and man, along with MacDonald back there at Safety, we are going to have one helluva scary D in a little while.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retro,

One could argue that with six first round draft picks in three years we probably should've found a GREAT player via the draft.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no doubt about that SJ76. Snead has done better than his predecessor but yea, we should have selected at least one great player with all those picks.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jameis making crazy plays and extending the play.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the reasoning behind going to Hill is pretty clear. The defense is playing better, Tre Mason is emerging, but Davis' touchdown turnovers are really hurting the team as a whole. Sure, Davis has more upside than Hill going forward, but Hill should provide the steadier hand (if not upside threat) at QB that should reward the other facets of the team that are improving. Starting Hill should limit the devastating turnovers (in theory; we've barely seen him behind center this year).

Davis is regressing and needs a break before he gets a severe case of Bulgeritis if he's to be in the future plans (and at this point, you would think he's a candidate next season for a backup/bridge to the a newly drafted QB of the future). Even if he's only benched for a few games, seeing things from the sideline could help his development (and hopefully allow the OL to gel a bit more).

I think there are two things that have led to Davis' decline.

1) the defenses the Rams have played the last 4 games

2) losing Quick- he was the only emerging #1 WR the Rams have and he and Davis had great chemistry

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if Hill plays better, is it because of his veteran experience or because the defenses are worse than the ones the Rams have faced the past 4 weeks?

We will never truly know that answer because Hill didn't face those tough defenses- Davis did.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if Hill plays better, is it because of his veteran experience or because the defenses are worse than the ones the Rams have faced the past 4 weeks?

We will never truly know that answer because Hill didn't face those tough defenses- Davis did.

It won't matter who plays better. Neither will be the starter next year anyway.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retro,

One could argue that with six first round draft picks in three years we probably should've found a GREAT player via the draft.
If we are going to count all six first round draft picks, isn't it fair to at least give the two rookies drafted this year a full season before we determine if they are GREAT or not? :lol:

Besides that, it's only 5 first rounders.

M. Brockers - 14th Pick Overall (Rams trade their first round pick to get Washington's first & second round picks in 2012, & their first round picks in 2013 & 2014)

T. Austin - 8th Pick Overall (Rams trade their second round pick to move up to 8th pick in the first round)
A. Ogletree - 30th Pick Overall

G. Robinson - 2nd Pick Overall
A. Donald - 13th Pick Overall.

Last edited by a moderator:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't need more time to determine that Donald is great. Ogletree is coming along, and Robinson has (finally) stepped in and played well (the delay is on the coaching staff, not him IMO). Brockers is solid if not exceptional, and we won't know how good Austin will be until we get an OC with the plums to use him properly.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It won't matter who plays better. Neither will be the starter next year anyway.

Hill definitely won't, but "if" Davis was left in to "maybe" develope who knows, "maybe" he would be the answer, but with him on the bench we will ever know!