• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Atlanta should draft Sammy Watkins at 6

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there is some huge push for us to go defense and I get that but the reality is our D needs more help than one draft is going to provide so to me it makes sense to load up even more on offense and just try to score as much as we can. This pick would allow us to play Roddy in the slot and move guys around making it a super tough matchup for opposing D's. I think its the best way to go to try and win now.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One problem with that is the OL sucks big time so there would be no time to take advantage of all those great weapons.

Plus doubt Watkins makes it to the Falcons pick. If you want him you would have to trade up for him.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our offensive line is a big problem that needs to be addressed too. We've gotten a few big guys on D by either re-signing them or through free agency. We could still use extra help at the DE and LB positions. I'm beginning to think our lack of depth stems from trading up so often in recent years.

Remember we signed Devin Hester so our depth is already Julio, Roddy, Harry Douglas, Devin Hester, and some guys who will never see the field. I believe Roddy is about to sign an extension with us so I don't know if he will be going anywhere anytime soon and Julio will be back from his injury early in the season.

There is a chance we look at drafting a tight end with Gonzalez retiring as well. I think Watkins is going to be very productive in the NFL. He's a beast but it seems like we already have pretty good depth at the position and there are others that need to be addressed.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way are aren't re-signing Chase Coffman (TE) so that leaves Levine Toilolo as the only TE on the roster. He has a lot of red zone potential but I don't think he is ready to be the guy on the rest of the field yet. This might indicate we're looking to draft another tight end.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One problem with that is the OL sucks big time so there would be no time to take advantage of all those great weapons.

Plus doubt Watkins makes it to the Falcons pick. If you want him you would have to trade up for him.

Yeah its not good either. We are addressing that a little bit in FA but its still never really been a strong suit. We have just had weapons good enough to not get Ryan killed. He may not make it to 6 but if he does we need to snap him up IMO

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah its not good either. We are addressing that a little bit in FA but its still never really been a strong suit. We have just had weapons good enough to not get Ryan killed. He may not make it to 6 but if he does we need to snap him up IMO

See this is where if I was Atlanta I would do a reverse Julio Jones and begin looking for a trade partner. Tampa Bay would draft him in a heart beat so some team looking to take the best receiver in this draft could be willing to trade up and give good value. To me that makes more sense for Atlanta especially considering how deep this WR class is. You don't need a top tier guy just a complementary guy to go with Roddy and Julio. You could use one of those extra picks for that plus still get a top level OL or DL player.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See this is where if I was Atlanta I would do a reverse Julio Jones and begin looking for a trade partner. Tampa Bay would draft him in a heart beat so some team looking to take the best receiver in this draft could be willing to trade up and give good value. To me that makes more sense for Atlanta especially considering how deep this WR class is. You don't need a top tier guy just a complementary guy to go with Roddy and Julio. You could use one of those extra picks for that plus still get a top level OL or DL player.

I agree with this 100% IF Watkins is gone. Stockpiling picks is never a bad decision but Watkins is a difference maker and pairing him with Julio is almost an impossible guard especially if you have a healthy White and a solid Douglas in the slot. Im not sold on Hester at WR and would rather see him in the defensive backfield and returniong kicks but thats me.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this 100% IF Watkins is gone. Stockpiling picks is never a bad decision but Watkins is a difference maker and pairing him with Julio is almost an impossible guard especially if you have a healthy White and a solid Douglas in the slot. Im not sold on Hester at WR and would rather see him in the defensive backfield and returniong kicks but thats me.

Well that would be interesting. Most teams don't like to run 4-wide sets as it gets too spread out and makes it that much harder to protect the quarterback. Throw in having a bad OL just means the QB is going to take a ton of hits. See my thought was trade back because Watkins is available not the other way around. Teams are talking about this kid and somebody would want to trade up again knowing that Tampa would take him in a heart beat if he fell. Heck Tampa might even be willing to give up say a 5th round pick just to move up the one spot and secure that they get him.

Now yes I understand how good Watkins is but again teams just don't run the 4-wide set ever because of fear for the quarterback. If you had a good OL I would say go for it but that isn't the case here.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that would be interesting. Most teams don't like to run 4-wide sets as it gets too spread out and makes it that much harder to protect the quarterback. Throw in having a bad OL just means the QB is going to take a ton of hits. See my thought was trade back because Watkins is available not the other way around. Teams are talking about this kid and somebody would want to trade up again knowing that Tampa would take him in a heart beat if he fell. Heck Tampa might even be willing to give up say a 5th round pick just to move up the one spot and secure that they get him.

Now yes I understand how good Watkins is but again teams just don't run the 4-wide set ever because of fear for the quarterback. If you had a good OL I would say go for it but that isn't the case here.

I dont generally like 4 wid sets and I wouldnt do them all the time but having 4 guys of that caliber makes it very very interesting when it happens. Youre right about the OL though so you couldnt do it a bunch.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you guys also have a QB problem......Ryan just really isn't that good. He's slightly above average, and you can win with him, but everything else has to be PERFECT.

The Falcons need help on the OL and DL the most. You're right, that can't be fixed in this draft or FA. The only way to do that is to trade DOWN, and stockpile picks. It's a longterm play, ala the Patriots......but they always keep a ton of picks and replenish depth.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you guys also have a QB problem......Ryan just really isn't that good. He's slightly above average, and you can win with him, but everything else has to be PERFECT.
So...Eli Manning.

Atlanta should go oline, imo

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying Matt Ryan is an average (slightly above) QB since the dawn of time. I'll lump Joe Flacco in that same convo.

Atlanta needs WAY more help than a WR if they are going to contend for anything. Lines and pass rush should be targeted first. Atlanta is below average in both categories, and how much money are you willing to lock up in wide receivers? The last like 10 SBOWL winners have had fairly mediocre wideouts.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Falcons need help on the OL and DL the most. You're right, that can't be fixed in this draft or FA. The only way to do that is to trade DOWN, and stockpile picks. It's a longterm play, ala the Patriots......but they always keep a ton of picks and replenish depth.

I dont know SBD, Ryan has won every single year except for last year when everything else fell apart and he still had a decent year. I dont think he is a top 5 guy by any means but he is definite4ly a top 10 guy in the league. You dont win 2/3 of your games right away in this league and do it consistently unless you are a damn good QB. Atlanta won 13 games 2 years ago with a bad running game and a slightly below average D. Id put QB wayy low on the Falcons list of concerns, at least when it pertains to winning in the regular season.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our offensive line is a big problem that needs to be addressed too. We've gotten a few big guys on D by either re-signing them or through free agency. We could still use extra help at the DE and LB positions. I'm beginning to think our lack of depth stems from trading up so often in recent years.

Remember we signed Devin Hester so our depth is already Julio, Roddy, Harry Douglas, Devin Hester, and some guys who will never see the field. I believe Roddy is about to sign an extension with us so I don't know if he will be going anywhere anytime soon and Julio will be back from his injury early in the season.

There is a chance we look at drafting a tight end with Gonzalez retiring as well. I think Watkins is going to be very productive in the NFL. He's a beast but it seems like we already have pretty good depth at the position and there are others that need to be addressed.

:agree: We can take a pass on Watkins. We really need to stregthen up the O-Line most importantly.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also dont think Atlanta is as far away as most of you seem to think. Team was decimataed by injuries last year and still was in almsot every game with a shot to win at the end. Even just looking at it statistically the odds of Atlanta losing almost every close game they play this year ( like they did last year ) is not too likely. I think if everyone stays healthy this year this is a 10 win team and if some people have great years its a team that can win the division.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we'd all rather see him returning kicks but we're paying him 3 million a year and probably have a bigger role planned out for him than that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know SBD, Ryan has won every single year except for last year when everything else fell apart and he still had a decent year. I dont think he is a top 5 guy by any means but he is definite4ly a top 10 guy in the league. You dont win 2/3 of your games right away in this league and do it consistently unless you are a damn good QB. Atlanta won 13 games 2 years ago with a bad running game and a slightly below average D. Id put QB wayy low on the Falcons list of concerns, at least when it pertains to winning in the regular season.

Yeah I would agree quarterback is the least of their worries. Not sure why a Cowboys fan is trying to show another quarterback to be mediocre. Ryan isn't the best in the biz but he is far from the problem of why they lost last season. Heck just a couple of seasons ago they were close to making it to the Super Bowl with Ryan having a good game against a very good San Fran defense.

To me this past season was a showing of what happens when a team trades up as far as they did for Julio Jones. Yes he has been a very good player for them but it has cost them any kind of depth where last year with all of the injuries really showed how much they were lacking in that department. Fix the OL and DL and this team is right back in the thick of it for the NFC.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know. All I want for the christmas draft is stronger trenches (guard & DL) so I get the need you guys say for OL, but if Watkins came to my team I would snag him in a heartbeat. Dont know for sure, so maybe Falcon fans can answer this, but isnt Roddy getting a little long in the tooth? Watkins & Julio as your two long term WRs & neither you have to pay a huge contract to for a few years yet, would help you plug holes. Not always about the up coming year but the future.
Only way I would skip Watkins if I were the falcons is if a team came to me with a lopsided trade package in the falcons favor.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: We can take a pass on Watkins. We really need to stregthen up the O-Line most importantly.

My only issue with that is I dont want to wste the 6th pick on a guy that Im not sold on. IMO OL is weak in this years draft. Now if you want to trade down and get 2 or 3 picks then OL is an OK way to go but what guy is going to be around at 6 that you LOVE enough to take there??? I dont see it.