• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Atlanta should draft Sammy Watkins at 6

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only issue with that is I dont want to wste the 6th pick on a guy that Im not sold on. IMO OL is weak in this years draft. Now if you want to trade down and get 2 or 3 picks then OL is an OK way to go but what guy is going to be around at 6 that you LOVE enough to take there??? I dont see it.

Well if we don't want to go with somebody for the OL, why not try and land one of Mack or Barr?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only issue with that is I dont want to wste the 6th pick on a guy that Im not sold on. IMO OL is weak in this years draft. Now if you want to trade down and get 2 or 3 picks then OL is an OK way to go but what guy is going to be around at 6 that you LOVE enough to take there??? I dont see it.

Well for me there are plenty of guys I would want to take at 6. For the OL I would take Robinson or Matthews in a heart beat. They both offer different styles of games that could help the Falcons big time and neither would be thought of as a reach. Mack since Clowney would most likely be gone is another guy as he is getting comparisons to that of Von Miller. When Miller is healthy he is a top 3 defensive player in the NFL and a big time game-changer. Hard to pass up on that kind of potential. A great pass rusher can help cover up a lot of issues on the defensive side of the ball.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Brandin Cooks > Sammy Watkins.

You heard it here first (maybe).

Mel Kiper Jr. has absolutely lost his grip on this draft. His claim that Watkins is better than AJ Green was? :wtf: Mel, step away from the crack & get some help.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandin Cooks > Sammy Watkins.

You heard it here first (maybe).

Mel Kiper Jr. has absolutely lost his grip on this draft. His claim that Watkins is better than AJ Green was? :wtf: Mel, step away from the crack & get some help.

I like Jordan Matthews more than Cooks. Yea, I'm not sure where Kiper Jr. is coming from there.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I like Jordan Matthews more than Cooks. Yea, I'm not sure where Kiper Jr. is coming from there.

You could be right about Matthews > Cooks. Matthews has just about everything you want in a wide receiver. Size, burst, 2nd gear, long arms, big hands, and he has common ancestry with Jerry Rice. What else could you want? :D

That said, Cooks is just CRAZY quick. Look at him just ditch Keith McGill like an ugly prom date:

BbeGWt.gif

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my perspective, ATL has too many holes to fill to waste an early pick on a position which is already a strength for the team.

As for Matt Ryan, 50% the league is filled full of teams that have a above average QB & the rest do not. He may not be a superstar elite QB, but he is far better than what many teams trot out there as their starter week in & week out. More than half the league would take him as their starting QB if he were a FA. That should tell you something.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be right about Matthews > Cooks. Matthews has just about everything you want in a wide receiver. Size, burst, 2nd gear, long arms, big hands, and he has common ancestry with Jerry Rice. What else could you want? :D

That said, Cooks is just CRAZY quick. Look at him just ditch Keith McGill like an ugly prom date:

BbeGWt.gif

Cooks is very quick, I just worry a bit about his size.

Having common ancestry with Jerry Rice is the most important thing. Get the purebreds.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, no. no!

I get it, but Watkins is not the missing piece. In spite of the FA deals, OL & DL...I'm not sure they are set @ RG , they still don't have a proven DE to help out Osi, and LB is still shaky beyond Spoon.

If I were running the show in ATL...I would try to trade up for Clowney...if a reasonable price could not be met, I would stay at 6 and take Robinson or Matthews. If those 2 OTs are gone, I would take Barr or Mack.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think a great wideout is what you need to compete I would like to refer you to that debacle known as SB 43. One of the best receiving corps and QBs got shellacked.

Getting good to great lines will make a team better more than a few skill positions.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am the GM of the Falcons in a mock on a Ravens' forum I post in. The top 5 picks were Bortles, Bridgewater, Clowney, Carr and Watkins. I took Mack for the Falcons. I have to believe that Atlanta fans would be pretty freakin' happy if it went down this way.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falcons are kind of in a tough spot.

Good chance Robinson, Clowney, Mack, and Watkins are all gone by the time the pick gets to them. Barr from what I've read is pretty raw so it's a fairly big risk at 6. That said, Mathews is still a fine OT prospect so they could grab him.

Falcons trading up is IMO how they kind of got themselves into the situation they had last year. They have zero depth and suffer in some areas (pass rush) because they gave up a lot of picks to move up for those couple years (Jones and Trufant. Lost a first, couple thirds, and some later rounds).

Gotta be careful trading up. Jones and Trufant have been knockouts so far, but those later rounds is where you get some gems and depth. You also keep cap down that way, most of the top teams have done this for years.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am the GM of the Falcons in a mock on a Ravens' forum I post in. The top 5 picks were Bortles, Bridgewater, Clowney, Carr and Watkins. I took Mack for the Falcons. I have to believe that Atlanta fans would be pretty freakin' happy if it went down this way.

if we picked bortles id kill myself. he is a poverty mans matt ryans younger brother he never had

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falcons are kind of in a tough spot.

Good chance Robinson, Clowney, Mack, and Watkins are all gone by the time the pick gets to them. Barr from what I've read is pretty raw so it's a fairly big risk at 6. That said, Mathews is still a fine OT prospect so they could grab him.

Falcons trading up is IMO how they kind of got themselves into the situation they had last year. They have zero depth and suffer in some areas (pass rush) because they gave up a lot of picks to move up for those couple years (Jones and Trufant. Lost a first, couple thirds, and some later rounds).

Gotta be careful trading up. Jones and Trufant have been knockouts so far, but those later rounds is where you get some gems and depth. You also keep cap down that way, most of the top teams have done this for years.

Responding to your point in bold only because I see this team every week.

It was expensive, but I still stand by the Julio Jones trade, but on some level I agree with you because draft picks are the foundation of every NFL team. When you lose picks, especially high draft picks, it definitely effects the team.

That said...ATL went 4-12 LY because Dimitroff & coach Smith put stock in some players (ATL draft picks) that were simply not good enough to play at this level for a playoff caliber team...Reynolds OG, and Holmes OT specifically were being counted on to start and they couldn't cut it. Combined with losing the LT (who is not a great player imo) the lack of depth really showed.

On the DL, kind of the same thing, they have decent players from the draft, but no standout players. With 10 picks I would still make a run @ Clowney for the right price, if not, this is the year to pick up a player who will be a legit NFL starting caliber OT and move Baker over to RT at some point in the near future.