• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Atlanta @Dallas

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what you want about Weeden and his interception was horrible, but I think the defense lost the game more than the offense did. The offense gave us more points today than even Romo did in the first game and a half. 28 points should be enough to win a professional football game. A two TD lead should be enough even with Weeden. Inexcusable defensive effort and the loss of Mincey really showed in the run defense. What Julio did wasn't really surprising, but the lack of effort to cover him was what was baffling. And nobody could make a read and make a play in the secondary. Matt Ryan was telegraphing throws to Julio all second half and our secondary did not make Ryan pay for it. I could literally tell every time Ryan was gonna throw it to Julio and the defense still left him open. DLaw had a bad game in defending the run and rushing the passer. Sean Lee wasn't himself either, but DL play has a lot to do with whether or not Lee can blow up plays. DLine was just bad in every way imaginable. We made an average offense that relies heavily on Julio look elite today and that is unacceptable.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What really sucks is that this was arguably one of the more winnable games on the schedule while Romo is out.
Every game is winnable if our defense plays more like it did last week instead of the joke they played like today.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season is in trouble now.
Say what you want about Weeden and his interception was horrible, but I think the defense lost the game more than the offense did. The offense gave us more points today than even Romo did in the first game and a half. 28 points should be enough to win a professional football game. A two TD lead should be enough even with Weeden. Inexcusable defensive effort and the loss of Mincey really showed in the run defense. What Julio did wasn't really surprising, but the lack of effort to cover him was what was baffling. And nobody could make a read and make a play in the secondary. Matt Ryan was telegraphing throws to Julio all second half and our secondary did not make Ryan pay for it. I could literally tell every time Ryan was gonna throw it to Julio and the defense still left him open. DLaw had a bad game in defending the run and rushing the passer. Sean Lee wasn't himself either, but DL play has a lot to do with whether or not Lee can blow up plays. DLine was just bad in every way imaginable. We made an average offense that relies heavily on Julio look elite today and that is unacceptable.
I agree the looked like the defense from 3 years ago.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that first quarter, Claiborne read Matt Ryan perfectly and nearly jumped the route for an interception. Claiborne did not do that for the rest of the game. Had he done that, he probably would have eventually got one. Those short throws to Julio were so obvious. That is what makes me the most angry about this loss. The defense on Julio should have been much better than it was. That was Ryan's only weapon and we didn't take him away like we did ODB against the Giants.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every game is winnable if our defense plays more like it did last week instead of the joke they played like today.

Well I said "more winnable," as in a games that won't necessarily require a Herculean effort. We can be homers, pick on each other, and talk about football stupid until the cows come home, but this team isn't going to beat New England, I don't care who comes back for the defense. I don't see Seattle being blown away by an offense that operates everything under 10 yards either. I know that's why they play the games, but at some point it's okay to be realistic.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I said "more winnable," as in a games that won't necessarily require a Herculean effort. We can be homers, pick on each other, and talk about football stupid until the cows come home, but this team isn't going to beat New England, I don't care who comes back for the defense. I don't see Seattle being blown away by an offense that operates everything under 10 yards either. I know that's why they play the games, but at some point it's okay to be realistic.
I know what you meant and I disagree. The Pats game is the only game where we will need a Herculean effort. The Saints, Giants, Seahawks, Eagles, Bucs,and Dolphins are not very good. Those games are very winnable with a healthier defense. The Falcons aren't very good either. They were fortunate the Cowboys were without several key defensive players. Even Lee missed a series and a half that hurt our defense. This team has just been so unlucky with injuries so far. Maybe luck will be on our side moving forward.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what should we do as fans? GIVE UP.? You can I wont! We can beat any team.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we hope they're not all very good the way we hope the offense can dink and dunk it's way to 3-4 wins while Romo is out and the way we hope the defense is legitimately good. I'm not sure how we state the defense is good on the one hand and then state the Eagles and Giants are bad. Well if those teams really are bad, maybe just maybe the Cowboys defense looked much better than it really is after the first 2 weeks? If that's not the case, then the Giants and Eagles might not be hot garbage. I don't think we can have it both ways, which is why I think this is going to be some tough sledding.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Saints game will be HUGE. Win that one to get to 3-1, and the upcoming dates with New England and Seattle can won't kill us. Really need to beat the Saints
Drew Brees might be out for this game.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't be dramatic.

They're going to have to figure out how to have a pass rush. They might have one by week 7, but I think they really need another win before then, and I'm looking at the Saints.

The passing game... man. What they did today wasn't exactly rocket science. I don't know what they're going to do to get more vertical, outside of some trick plays or taking advantage of defenses blowing coverages on some PA passes. Weeden didn't seem to see the field when he filled in for Romo last year, and I didn't see anything to suggest differently today, although I don't think he has much to work with outside of Beasley, who really doesn't stretch the field either.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your attitude and I'm sure the team will be alright in the long run. This was just a bump in the road.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get Hardy and McClain back after next week, probably looking at week 7 at the earliest for Dez and Gregory. A win against the Saints would make treading water possible
Hardy will be a boost for the defense.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we hope they're not all very good the way we hope the offense can dink and dunk it's way to 3-4 wins while Romo is out and the way we hope the defense is legitimately good. I'm not sure how we state the defense is good on the one hand and then state the Eagles and Giants are bad. Well if those teams really are bad, maybe just maybe the Cowboys defense looked much better than it really is after the first 2 weeks? If that's not the case, then the Giants and Eagles might not be hot garbage. I don't think we can have it both ways, which is why I think this is going to be some tough sledding.
I don't think we need to hope. Those teams aren't very good. Please don't use straw men. I didn't say the Giants and Eagles were bad. I said they are not very good. That's a difference. The Cowboys aren't very good right now either. NE is very good and why I said we will need a Herculean effort against them.

I don't know when people will realize that the Seahawks won't be that good this year. They are already 0-2 and don't have the same defensive coordinator anymore. Quinn is gone now. Cowboy fans should know all too well the difference a defensive coordinator can make. Trading away first round picks will come back to bite the Seahawks. They made their offensive line worse by trading an All Pro type center for an overrated TE. Lynch's decline will begin this year. They aren't gaining any new talent and won't just waltz to another SB berth this year. AZ is also the superior team. SEA won't be as lucky this year as long as AZ isn't down to their 3rd string quarterback.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be dramatic.

They're going to have to figure out how to have a pass rush. They might have one by week 7, but I think they really need another win before then, and I'm looking at the Saints.

The passing game... man. What they did today wasn't exactly rocket science. I don't know what they're going to do to get more vertical, outside of some trick plays or taking advantage of defenses blowing coverages on some PA passes. Weeden didn't seem to see the field when he filled in for Romo last year, and I didn't see anything to suggest differently today, although I don't think he has much to work with outside of Beasley, who really doesn't stretch the field either.[/QUOTE

I would rather be dramatic then a defeatist attitude. To say we won't beat New England is a defeatist attitude. Don't give up after one loss. I have my concerns but too early to project defeats.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the bright side, Lance Dunbar is a stud.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nobody wants to make excuses but what team on our schedule has a more dangerous offense then Atlanta right now with the exception of New England?

No shortage of issues to contend with yea ...but Atlanta a more winnable game? No, it's the opposite.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we need to hope. Those teams aren't very good. Please don't use straw men. I didn't say the Giants and Eagles were bad. I said they are not very good. That's a difference. The Cowboys aren't very good right now either. NE is very good and why I said we will need a Herculean effort against them.

I don't know when people will realize that the Seahawks won't be that good this year. They are already 0-2 and don't have the same defensive coordinator anymore. Quinn is gone now. Cowboy fans should know all too well the difference a defensive coordinator can make. Trading away first round picks will come back to bite the Seahawks. They made their offensive line worse by trading an All Pro type center for an overrated TE. Lynch's decline will begin this year. They aren't gaining any new talent and won't just waltz to another SB berth this year. AZ is also the superior team. SEA won't be as lucky this year as long as AZ isn't down to their 3rd string quarterback.

I don't think it's so much about some of the teams on the schedule being world beaters as much as it is the Cowboys limitations. You make the Cowboys 100% healthy and I think you've got a top 5 or 6 team. Where they rank exactly, I don't know, but I suspect they end up doing pretty well.

Unfortunately, they're missing so many key components right now that I think they have to play nearly mistake-free football against even slightly above average opponents. Don't get me wrong, I'll be far from shocked if Dallas gets another win against the Giants or Eagles. That said, the Cowboys formula is going to be pretty basic unless they turn Weeden loose. The sad thing is even if they do, without Dez, I don't know that it matters. Even more depressing is that their supposed strengths were turned sideways and shoved up their rears in the second half. That was an abortion.

Seattle might continue flounder, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. What they've done the last 3 seasons have earned them as much. They didn't exactly appear to be Super Bowl bound for much of last season either, yet they were one play away from winning it all when it was all said and done. There's a reason it would feel great to see Dallas beat them this season and it's not just because it would be another W.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody wants to make excuses but what team on our schedule has a more dangerous offense then Atlanta right now with the exception of New England?

No shortage of issues to contend with yea ...but Atlanta a more winnable game? No, it's the opposite.

I think if we're being honest, we only say Atlanta has an explosive offense for one reason: Julio Jones. Roddy White hasn't been himself for a couple of seasons or so now(not even a target today), Tony Gonzalez is gone, and nobody thought much of their running game heading into this one, unless folks were keeping that to themselves around here. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure a couple of folks around here assumed Julio would be a little too hampered thanks to his hammy. I guess an 80% Julio is still too much Julio.

Besides, let's not ignore what happened the Cowboys All-World O-line in the 2nd half. I know penalties killed one drive, but then? They stopped getting it done. Now we can blame it on numerous factors, but at the end of the day, they weren't imposing their will in that 2nd half. An Atlanta team that was a joke just last season made Dallas their bitch in the 2nd half, and it was just a little depressing.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last thoughts on the game. It's always a group effort when it comes to a loss, but I lean more toward putting more blame on the defensive side of the ball. Weeden's interception was horrible but at the end of the day, the offense put up 28 points. 28 points SHOULD BE more than enough to win a professional football game AT HOME. The Cowboys had a good gameplan to attack the ATL defense and they executed well in the first half to jump out to a big lead. The 2nd half, the offense played horrible, but how can you be mad at 28 points from this offense without Romo, Leary, and Dez? Defense let the team down.

There were two drives in the first half that resulted in TDs because of crucial defensive penalties. Had they held them to FGs on those drives, the outcome of this game could have been much different because 28-9 is a bigger hole to climb from than 28-17 and the Falcons probably wouldn't have been as balanced in the 2nd half either. This is not to mention they dropped two potential interceptions and giving up the FG at half was inexcusable. Garrett's clock management at the end of the 1st half was absolutely atrocious and the defense to close the half was even worse. You can't have that happen even if you get the ball back after half let alone when the opponent is getting it back. We could have been leading 28-6 at half. While not impossible for an ATL comeback, but not likely.

There's no excuse for that offensive performance in the 2nd half, but from what I saw from the D in the first two games, 28 points should have been more than enough to win. No Romo and no Dez is not an excuse. The Cowboys should have absolutely won this game and that's what pisses me off. You can't blow two TD leads in this league when wins are so precious(especially considering our predicament) and you sure as shit shouldn't be losing home games where you score 28 points if you have any aspirations of winning a Super Bowl.