• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Assistant Coaches Rumors and Hires

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Hackett wants to bring Outten with him. Not super excited about him (on paper) he hasn't really developed any of the Packers TE's. Tonyan doesn't really count. He has been more of a TD guy. Also not going to cry about it. I know coaches do different in different situations and Hackett knows him better then I do so there is something he likes about him. I don't think he is going to hire a bunch of coaches he doesn't believe in. ;) So I will let it develop and then go from there. Could be different as an OC then a TE developer. I will give it a chance. Hackett is really the guy on offense we need to worry about. It will all run through him. I like his energy and intelligence it will be nice for a change. Fangio was a fuddy duddy energy guy. He tried but it just wasn't him. We will become the Packers of the West but that might be ok.

Exactly. You never know what he did in GB. Maybe at one time he helped note tendencies, or group plays for a game, etc. Given how "involved" the TE position was in GB I can see that being a light duty position, so he may have done other things behind the scenes.

Maybe someone (ahem) could find out...

But agree that it's Hackett's ball game to call, and if we need someone to grow into a position it's best that he knows the terminology, scheme,s play design, etc. already.

I'm more concerned (not really) about ST and DC coaches and their subordinates.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
200.gif
But there's a "Me" in Mets....:D

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asking around different boards, how about Pep Hamilton (Texans) as the OC under Hackett?

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want nothing to do with anyone or anything Texans.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want nothing to do with anyone or anything Texans.

He's the QB Coach and 'pass game coordinator.' I don't think he has a lot of control over the Offense and I don't think he calls plays. But he has a lot of experience and has worked closely with NFL QB's.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before you say you want nothing to do with Pep, go take a look at how Davis Mills started the year compared to how he ended the year.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before you say you want nothing to do with Pep, go take a look at how Davis Mills started the year compared to how he ended the year.

Mills progressed a lot better than Jordan Love has, that’s for sure. Still glad we’re not getting Getsy.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally not impressed with either Mills or Love. Don't think either are long term starters. However, both are very early in their development so my mind could change. Wasn't impressed that much either either in college. Hard to say which one has progressed better thus far... Love hasn't had the same opportunity as Mills and neither has done a lot that has really caught my eye. Mills finished the season better. I will give him that. Both can play in the NFL just not sure they are more then #2's or team to team type QB's.

Pep Hamilton is a decent coach from what I have known. Let's be honest the groceries for the Texans this year were stale!

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Hackett wants to bring Outten with him. Not super excited about him (on paper) he hasn't really developed any of the Packers TE's. Tonyan doesn't really count. He has been more of a TD guy. Also not going to cry about it. I know coaches do different in different situations and Hackett knows him better then I do so there is something he likes about him. I don't think he is going to hire a bunch of coaches he doesn't believe in. ;) So I will let it develop and then go from there. Could be different as an OC then a TE developer. I will give it a chance. Hackett is really the guy on offense we need to worry about. It will all run through him. I like his energy and intelligence it will be nice for a change. Fangio was a fuddy duddy energy guy. He tried but it just wasn't him. We will become the Packers of the West but that might be ok.

Brace yourself for the possibility the following could be Broncos this off-season.

Marquez Valdes-Scantling
Lucas Patrick
Tyler Lancaster
Dean Lowrey
Chandn Sullivan
The Denver Packers? We’re going to see some change ….more than usual. For sure. Why do you suggest bracing? Not a fan?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, brace wasn't the correct word to use there.

No, I have no issues like I have stated in several other threads with this hire... Of the initial list of 10 my top 3 picks would have been the 3 Denver made their finalist at that point I was happy with any. As I stated a few too many times O'Connell was really my gut feeling as our sleeper pick from the start, was slightly hoping for him with no real up or down feeling on any. I have learned to never get too excited or too down on any head coach. I just want to win.

Honestly, we don't need a "ton" of changes but some changes in very key areas. Always going to see change though.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, brace wasn't the correct word to use there.

No, I have no issues like I have stated in several other threads with this hire... Of the initial list of 10 my top 3 picks would have been the 3 Denver made their finalist at that point I was happy with any. As I stated a few too many times O'Connell was really my gut feeling as our sleeper pick from the start, was slightly hoping for him with no real up or down feeling on any. I have learned to never get too excited or too down on any head coach. I just want to win.

Honestly, we don't need a "ton" of changes but some changes in very key areas. Always going to see change though.
Oh, I didn’t mean to suggest you didn’t like Hackett. You just left a list of current Packer players and suggested we brace for them to be Broncos. Just was unsure of the sentiment you were relaying.

I agree on not needing a ton of changes, but the reality is that almost every aspect of the Broncos organization is on the cusp of change with new ownership and coaching upon us. I guess it remains to be seen how much change the product on the field (players) will endure.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I didn’t mean to suggest you didn’t like Hackett. You just left a list of current Packer players and suggested we brace for them to be Broncos. Just was unsure of the sentiment you were relaying.

No- I am fine with them. I shouldn't have used the word brace. I guess I was looking more for a word that wasn't over upset or over excited. :) My bad. I have always been a Valdes-Scantling play since before his transfer from NC State. Not sure we really need him here though with the WR's we have unless we want him to be our deep threat with Hamler coming off his ACL injury? Who knows.

We do know that typically the Packers staff doesn't draft WR's early. (Yes Adams was rd 2) but in recent years when they have needed one. Hackett wasn't doing the drafting so that is just a random thought not something I expect nor are we going to be needing to draft a WR early this year anyway.

Lancaster, Lowery, Taylor, Sullivan are ok. Nothing too exciting but role players that you need in this league... I feel like we probably have those types here but you know Hackett/Members of Packers staff (assuming he brings some with him) is going to bring a few over with him.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No- I am fine with them. I shouldn't have used the word brace. I guess I was looking more for a word that wasn't over upset or over excited. :) My bad. I have always been a Valdes-Scantling play since before his transfer from NC State. Not sure we really need him here though with the WR's we have unless we want him to be our deep threat with Hamler coming off his ACL injury? Who knows.

We do know that typically the Packers staff doesn't draft WR's early. (Yes Adams was rd 2) but in recent years when they have needed one. Hackett wasn't doing the drafting so that is just a random thought not something I expect nor are we going to be needing to draft a WR early this year anyway.

Lancaster, Lowery, Taylor, Sullivan are ok. Nothing too exciting but role players that you need in this league... I feel like we probably have those types here but you know Hackett/Members of Packers staff (assuming he brings some with him) is going to bring a few over with him.
Got it. That’s what I figured you meant. After FAgency hopefully we’re ready to rock BPA in the draft. Paton set expectations rather high last year for hitting draft gold. Crossing all the cross-ables that he has a brilliant encore in store.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hackett would have loved to have his buddies from over in GB, but he is spreading joy in that he probably knew GB would have to counter for his friend or let Hackett Steal him. He also got to make Getsy look valuable to the Bears. There is also an advantage in bringing in guys who speak the terminology of the system he wants to install.

In this case the OC is not that important for starters as Hackett will call the plays. So, he needs someone with good people skills - and excellent organizational skills. Someone he can train to be him when they grow up.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was terrible with the Vikings. Not saying he can't be better in another situation but there is a reason he lasted just one year with the Vikings... Now, from my understanding is he could come in as passing coordinator and not the offensive coordinator but he really hasn't been impressive in any of his stints between college gigs, broncos and vikings gigs and from my knowledge he doesn't come all that recommended.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was terrible with the Vikings. Not saying he can't be better in another situation but there is a reason he lasted just one year with the Vikings... Now, from my understanding is he could come in as passing coordinator and not the offensive coordinator but he really hasn't been impressive in any of his stints between college gigs, broncos and vikings gigs and from my knowledge he doesn't come all that recommended.
I just want to move on from the past and move forward. No more Minn tree hires or signings please.