• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ashe Stadium Updates.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are they paying for this again? I know that was a sticky point in the past.

Also, are Louis Armstrong, or Grandstand, going to get roofs too? Or only Ashe Stadium?

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pass the facility everyday on the railroad. Pretty impressive

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are they paying for this again? I know that was a sticky point in the past.

Also, are Louis Armstrong, or Grandstand, going to get roofs too? Or only Ashe Stadium?

The place is a cash cow! They get 250,000 people in there over a couple of weeks. 1000's come to NY and spend their cash. I'm not even into tennis and I went a few times. They day sessions are pretty cool, lots going on.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only Ashe with the roof is what I read. I think they were thinking of taking down the Louis and the Grandstand and building something else

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The place is a cash cow! They get 250,000 people in there over a couple of weeks. 1000's come to NY and spend their cash. I'm not even into tennis and I went a few times. They day sessions are pretty cool, lots going on.

Only Ashe with the roof is what I read. I think they were thinking of taking down the Louis and the Grandstand and building something else

Thanks.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have you ever gone by to where the players are practicing, on the practice courts? You can get close and watch them, right?

What's your favorite part of the experience of being there?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understand, The grandstand is moving to where courts 6-9 are. I believe and those courts are moving to where the practice courts are now. Grandstand was supposed to have a steel frame roof/overhang. Louis Armstrong will be redone and was also supposed to have a roof too.

Granted that was the plan 2 years ago. I believe the previous poster is correct in that they are not doing roofs on the new stadiums now, just a retractable on Ashe. Not sure why they would not at least do the new Armstrong with a roof as well. That would really move things along in a rainy year. I think the 500+ million for the Ashe roof was more than anticipated when the original plan came out.

The new grandstand is expected to be ready this year. Ashe next year. Armstrong will take longer (2018) since it is a complete tear down and rebuild.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would've been better to take off the upper tier of ashe, and put on a smaller roof, imo.

that stadium is an absolute monstrosity.

armstrong and grandstand are wonderful. i'd much rather watch matches there during a rainy day than on ashe, which i will never pay for again, unless i get rich and can afford seats in the bottom tier.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would've been better to take off the upper tier of ashe, and put on a smaller roof, imo.

that stadium is an absolute monstrosity.

armstrong and grandstand are wonderful. i'd much rather watch matches there during a rainy day than on ashe, which i will never pay for again, unless i get rich and can afford seats in the bottom tier.

Yep I refuse to pay for Ashe tickets. I prefer to get ground pass tickets for the 3rd round and enjoy Armstrong/Grand Stand. There isn't one bad seat in those 2 stadiums and you feel like you're on top of the players

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ashe's pure size is one of its most unique features. I'm tired of every tennis tournament venue and surface trying to look alike. Maybe it is unpleasant for the fans in the upper deck, but having 22,500+ people in a stadium is definitely a novelty that adds intrigue to matches there.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ashe's pure size is one of its most unique features. I'm tired of every tennis tournament venue and surface trying to look alike. Maybe it is unpleasant for the fans in the upper deck, but having 22,500+ people in a stadium is definitely a novelty that adds intrigue to matches there.

Agree but as Cezero said as a fan it makes no sense to go to Ashe unless you're able to get half decent seats. Better off getting a grounds pass if you're going to the Open in the first 3 rounds. On top of that the matches on Ashe are rarely competitive until the round of 16

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont be surprised if the pricing gets tiered a little more when Armstrong is done. They will most likely have an additional charge to sit in Armstrong once it is rebuilt and increase the grounds prices a little more for the grandstand. We will most likely have to by a second tier price ticket to see the Armstrong matchs and expect Ashe prices to go way up.

Start adding increase on top of increase and it will be getting very expensive.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree but as Cezero said as a fan it makes no sense to go to Ashe unless you're able to get half decent seats. Better off getting a grounds pass if you're going to the Open in the first 3 rounds. On top of that the matches on Ashe are rarely competitive until the round of 16
Nobody who has ever been there ever praises the uniqueness of nosebleed seats where the players look like ants, which is what the entire upper tier is like.

Grounds passes are where it's at. Ashe is a terrible stadium for live viewing unless you can get loge tickets or better. Even in loge seating, it was still very far away from the action compared to anywhere on armstrong or grandstand. It's the most grotesque tennis structure ever built. I think the night sessions can be pretty awesome since they'll let the people in the top tier come down after midnight sometimes.

I guess as a tennis fan, I had to go once, even though everybody told me not to waste my money. I learned my lesson. If I were rich and could afford seats in the first 30 rows every day and night, my perspective would probably be different. :)

Last edited:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont be surprised if the pricing gets tiered a little more when Armstrong is done. They will most likely have an additional charge to sit in Armstrong once it is rebuilt and increase the grounds prices a little more for the grandstand. We will most likely have to by a second tier price ticket to see the Armstrong matchs and expect Ashe prices to go way up.

Start adding increase on top of increase and it will be getting very expensive.

Which is why I'm making sure I go every year before it is complete lol

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why I'm making sure I go every year before it is complete lol

I have been enough times now so no biggy, but I want to go at least once when it is done. Used to go every year in the 00s but only twice the last 6 years.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It seems like during the middle weekend, there will be one day where 5 matches are played on Ashe, and all of them will be straight sets.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone once had a post that the upper tier seats on Ashe are up in the Ozone layer.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like during the middle weekend, there will be one day where 5 matches are played on Ashe, and all of them will be straight sets.

Yep exactly. Unless you're really determine to see Serena, Novak, Rafa, Maria, or Roger there is no need to buy Ashe tickets in the first week. Sometimes with a grounds pass you get lucky and they put one of those names on Armstrong or Grandstand. 2 years ago due to weather delays, they put Fed on Armstrong and last year when I went I was able to see Novak on Armstrong because Murray and Serena were scheduled for Ashe that day

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep exactly. Unless you're really determine to see Serena, Novak, Rafa, Maria, or Roger there is no need to buy Ashe tickets in the first week. Sometimes with a grounds pass you get lucky and they put one of those names on Armstrong or Grandstand. 2 years ago due to weather delays, they put Fed on Armstrong and last year when I went I was able to see Novak on Armstrong because Murray and Serena were scheduled for Ashe that day

Yeah, I've seen Serena a few times at the Finals at Stanford. To me, its good enough, even though the tourney isn't a major.

If I went to the USO, I'd try to see one of the other players, in what I anticipate could be a competitive match.