• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

As of Today is A-Rod a Hall of Famer?

MattyM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure somewhere in the Hall of Fame it says "San Diego Padres, 1998 National League Champions." Do you want all those references removed, since that championship was obtained with the help of cheaters?

Or do we just need to focus on those meanies who surpassed the numbers of your grandpa's heroes?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ty Cobb was a racist but I don't recall anyone accusing him of cheating.

I think their is a fundamental difference between a spit ball and PEDs. But thats my opinion and one that MLB has had.

As for Mark McGuire, Sosa, and Bonds I think the media elite are holding them to a tougher standard than MLB.

A-Rod has a certain amount of baggage outside the whole PED thing. He is generally disliked by the public and is not nor has he ever really been embraced by Yankee fans, like Jeter or Petit or even CC Sabathia. Those factors make blaming PEDs for exclusion to the Hall much easier.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think their is a fundamental difference between a spit ball and PEDs. But thats my opinion and one that MLB has had.

As for Mark McGuire, Sosa, and Bonds I think the media elite are holding them to a tougher standard than MLB.

A-Rod has a certain amount of baggage outside the whole PED thing. He is generally disliked by the public and is not nor has he ever really been embraced by Yankee fans, like Jeter or Petit or even CC Sabathia. Those factors make blaming PEDs for exclusion to the Hall much easier.

Really?? I dont seem to recall ARod as being disliked before this whole PED thing. I always kind of thought of him as the MLB's golden boy. Not being an AL fan Im not sure if thats how he was perceived by everyone but thats how I saw it.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO I think he was the poster child of overpaid athletes.

The fact he forced his way out of Seattle and by that I mean his contract demands and the fact he broke the Rangers owner. Then had the Boston - NY thing going as a FA.

I have always heard criticism of A-Rod. Some of it unfair but when you are the highest plaid player in sports you have a bullseye on your back.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?? I dont seem to recall ARod as being disliked before this whole PED thing. I always kind of thought of him as the MLB's golden boy. Not being an AL fan Im not sure if thats how he was perceived by everyone but thats how I saw it.

I think you're right, although it took me a few minutes to remember back. I was praying for Steve Phillips to sign him for the Mets. Kinda makes me wonder how events would have unfolded if that had happened. Maybe if he had stayed at short for his career, things might have turned out differently...:noidea:

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of today he's a flaming douche bag, that best thing I can say about him.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, you don't think he'll reach is goal of being a role model? :laugh3:

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I suggest you do some research on Cobb, then. He was known to commit a lot of underhanded tactics on the field, including his well-established tendency to spike fielders.

I agree that not all cheating is the same, and that PEDs are a bigger deal because they cannot be policed on the field of play, but that's why the punishment is more severe. I think the punishment is adequate.

MattyM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When he hit that home run off Nathan in the bottom of the ninth of the '09 playoffs, was he a flaming douchebag then? If so, then Yankee Stadium had a curious habit of wildly cheering flaming douchebags four years ago.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO I think he was the poster child of overpaid athletes.

The fact he forced his way out of Seattle and by that I mean his contract demands and the fact he broke the Rangers owner. Then had the Boston - NY thing going as a FA.

I have always heard criticism of A-Rod. Some of it unfair but when you are the highest plaid player in sports you have a bullseye on your back.
You are pretty deluded. Forced his way out of Seattle? He was a free agent. How is that forcing his way out? Someone was willing to offer him a ridiculous contract. Should he have turned it down? Taken half the money to go back to Seattle? Broke the Rangers owner? It's his fault that Tom Hicks is an idiot and bid against himself? And last I checked, it was Scott Boras doing to the negotiating, not A-Rod. Boras was just doing his job trying to get his client the most he could. Again, should A-Rod have turned down the contract? Would you have turned down the contract? Did he hold a gun to Hicks' head?

Sounds to me like you're simultaneously rewriting history, and holding your personal grudge against highly paid pro athletes against A-Rod. It's petty and immature.

People care way too much about how much athletes are paid. If it's such an issue, stop going to the games and watching it on TV. Because the revenue is what drives up the salaries. Pro sports make billions of dollars on the backs of these players. Should more of that go to the owners who do nothing? Or should it go to the players we pay to see? If anything, they're not paid enough.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure somewhere in the Hall of Fame it say "San Diego Padres, 1998 National League Champions." Do you want all those references removed, since that championship was obtained with the help of cheaters?

Like I said earlier if the 1998 pennant is taken away from the Padres it's fine with me. Just as long as they take the 1998 World Series away from the Yankees who had Andy Pettite on their roster.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. Someone let Gaylord Perry, Don Sutton, Ty Cobb, and a great number of others that they're no longer welcome in the Hall.

How about other sports? Dyou have similar problems with players in other sports cheating by using PEDs? Because then you'd probably have to stop watching the Chargers since the majority of the roster is on something. Should Junior Seau have his number un-retired? I'd be absolutely stunned if he didn't use steroids or another type of PED at some point in his career.

Why do you begrudge these guys trying to make as much money as they can, by the way?

I don't care about how much money they make. I only care that they play their sport without PED'S. I feel the same way about all the other sports. Every team in the NFL has guys using PED'S. If you think the Chargers are the only team you better think again. Bill Romanowski has a lot of Super Bowl rings. I'm sure he wasn't the only player on those teams who used something. Those Steelers teams in the 70's had guys who used. We already know their Center did. PED'S were league wide in the 70's. Just like Amphedimines were everywhere in MLB in the 70's. Ball Four is one of the best sports books ever written. If you haven't read it you should.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were they dead to you in 1998? I see you're a Lions fan. Are the majority of players on the Lions' roster dead to you?

Actually, I was 10 years old at the time and they were my heros. Made the discovery all the more painful later.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id you let the PED guys in, no question. If you wanna stay butt hurt you already know the answer. Can't hate on players in the steroid era when everyone was using them.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said earlier if the 1998 pennant is taken away from the Padres it's fine with me. Just as long as they take the 1998 World Series away from the Yankees who had Andy Pettite on their roster.

Of course nothing like that is ever going to happen, but just thinking about it made me laugh. There would be people (players, owners, fans) absolutely shitting themselves.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suggest you do some research on Cobb, then. He was known to commit a lot of underhanded tactics on the field, including his well-established tendency to spike fielders.

I agree that not all cheating is the same, and that PEDs are a bigger deal because they cannot be policed on the field of play, but that's why the punishment is more severe. I think the punishment is adequate.

The game was played differently then. Players played the game tougher than they do today. I don't think the punishment for PED's is enough. If it was guys like Melky Cabrera & Bartolo Colon wouldn't be able to get contracts like they did after last season. I think the 1st offense should cost a player 1 full season. The second offense should be 2 full seasons. The third they're banned for life. If MLB doesn't hit the players where it hurts they'll keep using. I have a hard time believing Colon is clean right now. Players don't perform at their best in MLB at 40 years of age.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The man hit over 600 HR's in his career and IF given a chance will easily hammer the current mark...LET HIM PLAY, I say..let the cards fall on the mark as they say. I don't blame ANY playa trying to get an advantage these dayz...

MattyM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The man hit over 600 HR's in his career and IF given a chance will easily hammer the current mark...LET HIM PLAY, I say..let the cards fall on the mark as they say. I don't blame ANY playa trying to get an advantage these dayz...

I'm not so sure he has another 116 homers left in him--but God, I hope he has another 14! Then we get to listen to the Baby Boomers whine because he passed Mays. I love listening to them whine...