• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the NFL

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams are always looking for the next big thing, and in recent years are showing more and more willingness to step outside conventional wisdom (i.e., experienced coordinators from successful teams) when it comes to their HC hires. They see the way guys like McVay and Nagy have injected life into their teams and want to find their version of that, so guys like Flores, Kliff Kingsbury, Kevin Stefanski, etc. are getting interviews for top jobs that they never would've sniffed even just a few years ago. Flores seems to have a strong reputation around the league that exceeds the performance of his individual units.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why teams are interested in Flores and a HC, our D was suspect this year seems weird to me. I would think they would want to wait a year or two. But hey what do I know
Agreed.
Other GM's and owners must be desperate to find any modicum of success.
I heard this morning that Kliff Kingsbury was being asked to interview for the Cardinals HC position.

Seriously???? Kingsbury???

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams hoping he caught some Belichick pixie dust.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why teams are interested in Flores and a HC, our D was suspect this year seems weird to me. I would think they would want to wait a year or two. But hey what do I know
Throw in he was never given the DC title in NE. Why?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throw in he was never given the DC title in NE. Why?

Belichick never just gives the title. He made Patricia wait, Bill O'Brien wait and now he's making Flores wait. BB wants to see who they operate for at least a year before naming them. Strange but just the way he does it.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick never just gives the title. He made Patricia wait, Bill O'Brien wait and now he's making Flores wait. BB wants to see who they operate for at least a year before naming them. Strange but just the way he does it.

I wouldn't call it strange, I'd call it not ready. I really think he is not ready. Maybe next year he'll be ready for DC. Head Coach? We are getting way ahead of ourselves.

Maybe teams are interviewing people hoping they'll walk in and say, "i'm not ready, but you know who you should hire?"

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call it strange, I'd call it not ready. I really think he is not ready. Maybe next year he'll be ready for DC. Head Coach? We are getting way ahead of ourselves.

Maybe teams are interviewing people hoping they'll walk in and say, "i'm not ready, but you know who you should hire?"

That was part of my question why? If they're not ready to be a coordinator why would teams be looking at them for a HC position?
Or is just more BB ego holding back a title. The dude did the DC job all year. Good or bad give him the damn title. It's only a title for Pete's sake.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps he is the courtesy minority HC interview this year. Dumb ass rule

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hadn't thought of that but ding ding ding ding ding.......we have a winner.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it a dumb ass rule that they interview candidates in a manner to the same level of diversity as the player ranks? It's not like they force teams to hire anybody.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it a dumb ass rule that they interview candidates in a manner to the same level of diversity as the player ranks? It's not like they force teams to hire anybody.

It's insulting, " Oh hey Mike McCarthy is available but we have to interview a token minority to fullfill that damn Rooney Rule, who's time should we waste with this"? That is why teams are going to take the best coach available period.

If BB left the Pats and stated he wants to continue to coach what team would not seem him? Any person interviewing for that job would know they are fodder.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's insulting, " Oh hey Mike McCarthy is available but we have to interview a token minority to fullfill that damn Rooney Rule, who's time should we waste with this"? That is why teams are going to take the best coach available period.

If BB left the Pats and stated he wants to continue to coach what team would not seem him? Any person interviewing for that job would know they are fodder.
But what if they interview Mike McCarthy and John Token Coach and they are blown away with that JTC interview, then hire him? Did they waste their time?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what if they interview Mike McCarthy and John Token Coach and they are blown away with that JTC interview, then hire him? Did they waste their time?
Are you being obtuse?

Point is they are going to hire who they feel is the best coach for the job if they want to have a shot at success. So requiring a minority interview is a waste and an insult.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you being obtuse?

Point is they are going to hire who they feel is the best coach for the job if they want to have a shot at success. So requiring a minority interview is a waste and an insult.
No I'm not being obtuse. They are going to hire who they feel is the best coach. Requiring an extra step isn't going to change that... but the extra step may change who they feel is the best coach for the job.

Can't you accept that others don't agree with your opinion?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I'm not being obtuse. They are going to hire who they feel is the best coach. Requiring an extra step isn't going to change that... but the extra step may change who they feel is the best coach for the job.

Can't you accept that others don't agree with your opinion?

Sure I can accept when other don't agree with my opinion. What I cannot accept is irrational drivel while trying to make an obviously moot point.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure I can accept when other don't agree with my opinion. What I cannot accept is irrational drivel while trying to make an obviously moot point.
yeah, that response demonstrates complete respect for another's opinion.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, that response demonstrates complete respect for another's opinion.
Dude, really? Don't ask a question if you don't want the answer. If you want to whine I am not the one. Maybe you and BigKen can banter back and forth then console one anothers broken spirit.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is "Your opinion is different than mine, your opinions are drivel" not whining. Dude, really? Don't express an opinion on a message board if you can't handle the responses.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is "Your opinion is different than mine, your opinions are drivel" not whining. Dude, really? Don't express an opinion on a message board if you can't handle the responses.
?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Likely they would not hire him even if they were "blown away"
Need an example?
Just look at oldschool calling his playoff contending rookie QB "buckwheat"