• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the AFCN

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know if it's against the CBA to make a team walk back home after a 'shit the bed' game in Philly? If it is they need to be change that ASAP!!!

And just to be fair the coaches should walk back with them.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know if it's against the CBA to make a team walk back home after a 'shit the bed' game in Philly? If it is they need to be change that ASAP!!!

And just to be fair the coaches should walk back with them.
If I were the Rooney's I would have at the very least made them take the bus home on that 300mile trip... Give them 5-6 hours to think long and hard about what happened on the field yesterday.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the Rooney's I would have at the very least made them take the bus home on that 300mile trip... Give them 5-6 hours to think long and hard about what happened on the field yesterday.
Couldn't have hurt any!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To think...the Ravens have been scraping by some weak teams all three games, and lo and behold...in 1st place.

Goes to show...it's not how you win, just win.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To think...the Ravens have been scraping by some weak teams all three games, and lo and behold...in 1st place.

Goes to show...it's not how you win, just win.
Scary thing about the Ravens is they are winning without an identity. They are loaded with talent, so once they find it, they'll be tough to beat. Their defense is miles ahead of ours.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scary thing about the Ravens is they are winning without an identity. They are loaded with talent, so once they find it, they'll be tough to beat. Their defense is miles ahead of ours.

I haven't seen the Ravens play this yr yet so I have no clue what they look like on either side of the ball, but they're figuring out how to get the W.

I was chatting with some Steeler fans earlier and what keeps coming up is something you and I have talked about many times...4 man DL...put Deebo at RDE, Heyward at LDE, Heyward and Tuitt and Hargrave the DTs...Timmons or VW in the middle with Shazier and Jones at OLB....rotate Chick and Moats in when you need them...nickel take Timmons off for your 3rd CB. Now you have enough beef up front to make 5 OL block and when you send a Shazier or a S or whomever

This 2 DL and 2 OLB is not getting the heat needed.

Anyway, I'm shaking off the PHI game...if we see KC doing a similar game plan and it's working, Butler will be forced into changing something up.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen the Ravens play this yr yet so I have no clue what they look like on either side of the ball, but they're figuring out how to get the W.

I was chatting with some Steeler fans earlier and what keeps coming up is something you and I have talked about many times...4 man DL...put Deebo at RDE, Heyward at LDE, Heyward and Tuitt and Hargrave the DTs...Timmons or VW in the middle with Shazier and Jones at OLB....rotate Chick and Moats in when you need them...nickel take Timmons off for your 3rd CB. Now you have enough beef up front to make 5 OL block and when you send a Shazier or a S or whomever

This 2 DL and 2 OLB is not getting the heat needed.

Anyway, I'm shaking off the PHI game...if we see KC doing a similar game plan and it's working, Butler will be forced into changing something up.
Yea the 2 DL & 2 LB 4-man fronts are pretty bad. They were holding the LOS pretty well the first 2 weeks, but obviously not well in week 3. Feels like the old Lebeau scheme where the DLine is only eating up blockers, but in this scheme Butler's not sending edge rushers so the secondary is getting hung out to dry. I think Butler's schemes would work ok if the secondary could tackle, but obviously Burns & possibly Davis aren't quite ready for the NFL level. The amount of absurdly missed tackles are stacking up. Its one thing to miss a tackle because the defender was barreled through or stiff-armed, but to see these young guys completely whiffing like they are JV practice squad players??? That's just unreal. As much as I hate Shamarko Thomas, at least he can tackle. Seems like the only people in this secondary that can be depended on to make a tackle are Mitchell & Golden. Gay & Cockrell on occasion.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea the 2 DL & 2 LB 4-man fronts are pretty bad. They were holding the LOS pretty well the first 2 weeks, but obviously not well in week 3. Feels like the old Lebeau scheme where the DLine is only eating up blockers, but in this scheme Butler's not sending edge rushers so the secondary is getting hung out to dry. I think Butler's schemes would work ok if the secondary could tackle, but obviously Burns & possibly Davis aren't quite ready for the NFL level. The amount of absurdly missed tackles are stacking up. Its one thing to miss a tackle because the defender was barreled through or stiff-armed, but to see these young guys completely whiffing like they are JV practice squad players??? That's just unreal. As much as I hate Shamarko Thomas, at least he can tackle. Seems like the only people in this secondary that can be depended on to make a tackle are Mitchell & Golden. Gay & Cockrell on occasion.

Davis is still not there, but getting better...I'm more concerned about Burns....he's flying up there but doesn't want to sacrifice his body to knock the player off his feet like Troy used to...he's basically flailing with his arms. I think once he anticipates better he will get a better break and be able to gather himself, hit and wrap. He could not have gotten many reps on tackling in camp because he missed a lot of time...If he wants to improve in this area, he will. Growing pains of a young player, learning on the job.

I saw something else I didn't like either...guys were separating from Gay in the slot...twice I saw it and was like maybe it was just a bad game, but when you realize he is 31...idk.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis is still not there, but getting better...I'm more concerned about Burns....he's flying up there but doesn't want to sacrifice his body to knock the player off his feet like Troy used to...he's basically flailing with his arms. I think once he anticipates better he will get a better break and be able to gather himself, hit and wrap. He could not have gotten many reps on tackling in camp because he missed a lot of time...If he wants to improve in this area, he will. Growing pains of a young player, learning on the job.

I saw something else I didn't like either...guys were separating from Gay in the slot...twice I saw it and was like maybe it was just a bad game, but when you realize he is 31...idk.
Agreed.

Gay... Saw that too on the Matthews TD over the middle. Gay was 2 steps behind. I'm not going to be too quick to jump to any conclusions from anything I saw from that game. Seems like everyone but AB was having an off day. Something in the water over there in Philly?

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

Gay... Saw that too on the Matthews TD over the middle. Gay was 2 steps behind. I'm not going to be too quick to jump to any conclusions from anything I saw from that game. Seems like everyone but AB was having an off day. Something in the water over there in Philly?
Yes, BUT I'm not at liberty to disclose just what it is, yet.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens finally lost today... Almost pulled it off for a 4th straight week, but luck ran out this time.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st QTR standings

PIT...3-1, clearly the best OFC in the DIV and one of the tops in the league, but DEF has been a little wishy-washy thru 4 games...need to see more consistency over the next 4 which includes the 1st matchup @ the Ravens, in addition to NYJ, @ MIA, and NE. I'd be happy with another 3-1 next Qtr.

BAL...3-1, I have not seen the Ravens play this year, but the schedule has been favorable. Whatever the case, I continue to have a lot of respect for the Ravens staff. Harbaugh seems to get the best out of his players...I think they will only get better as the season goes, but these next 4 are going to be tougher...WAS, @ NYG, @NYG, PIT

CIN...2-2, about where I expect them to be. They are doing pretty good without Eifert imo...the next 4 games will be stout for them...@DAL, @NE, CLE, WAS

CLE...0-4, honestly I thought they might be 1-3. RG3 was a bust, already down to their 3rd QB and he actualy looks decent so far. Maybe Tomlin was right about the kid. With a boat load of pick on the horizon, the Browns could very well be 0-8, if they don't win @ TN because NE, @CIN and NYJ closeout the 1st half.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st QTR standings

PIT...3-1, clearly the best OFC in the DIV and one of the tops in the league, but DEF has been a little wishy-washy thru 4 games...need to see more consistency over the next 4 which includes the 1st matchup @ the Ravens, in addition to NYJ, @ MIA, and NE. I'd be happy with another 3-1 next Qtr.
Jets are going to be a good test this week. Then I'm feelin a trap game down in Miami. Ben has always played pretty well in Florida IIRC, but those sub.500 teams are always concerning. NE will be a postseason measuring stick. Hoping the team gets healthy by then.
BAL...3-1, I have not seen the Ravens play this year, but the schedule has been favorable. Whatever the case, I continue to have a lot of respect for the Ravens staff. Harbaugh seems to get the best out of his players...I think they will only get better as the season goes, but these next 4 are going to be tougher...WAS, @ NYG, @NYG, PIT
Squeaking off wins week after week. Doesn't matter how ugly or pretty, a W is a W. I said it before, but the thing that scares me the most about this team is that they are winning without an identity. I fear their offense is going to find a groove before long and this team will be very hard to beat. Their defense is playing very well.
CIN...2-2, about where I expect them to be. They are doing pretty good without Eifert imo...the next 4 games will be stout for them...@DAL, @NE, CLE, WAS
I'm thinking this team will be floating around 5-3 at midseason. Eifert will boost that offense back to '15 form. They shouldn't have a problem with DAL or CLE. But wouldn't be surprised to see them lose either of those games.
CLE...0-4, honestly I thought they might be 1-3. RG3 was a bust, already down to their 3rd QB and he actualy looks decent so far. Maybe Tomlin was right about the kid. With a boat load of pick on the horizon, the Browns could very well be 0-8, if they don't win @ TN because NE, @CIN and NYJ closeout the 1st half.
Crazy thing about this team is they are always within 1 possession heading into the 4th qtr before they melt down. With almost half of their starters being rookies, that's pretty phenomenal. Theres a lot to be optimistic about with what Hue Jackson is doing over there. Once he builds this team I think they will be back in thick of things. Might take 3 more years, so that will depend on if ownership can remain patient with him. So far that patience track record with prior coaches doesn't bode well for Jackson. I thought Pettine had this team on the rebound but they axed him before he could finish what he started.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets are going to be a good test this week. Then I'm feelin a trap game down in Miami. Ben has always played pretty well in Florida IIRC, but those sub.500 teams are always concerning. NE will be a postseason measuring stick. Hoping the team gets healthy by then.

Squeaking off wins week after week. Doesn't matter how ugly or pretty, a W is a W. I said it before, but the thing that scares me the most about this team is that they are winning without an identity. I fear their offense is going to find a groove before long and this team will be very hard to beat. Their defense is playing very well.

I'm thinking this team will be floating around 5-3 at midseason. Eifert will boost that offense back to '15 form. They shouldn't have a problem with DAL or CLE. But wouldn't be surprised to see them lose either of those games.

Crazy thing about this team is they are always within 1 possession heading into the 4th qtr before they melt down. With almost half of their starters being rookies, that's pretty phenomenal. Theres a lot to be optimistic about with what Hue Jackson is doing over there. Once he builds this team I think they will be back in thick of things. Might take 3 more years, so that will depend on if ownership can remain patient with him. So far that patience track record with prior coaches doesn't bode well for Jackson. I thought Pettine had this team on the rebound but they axed him before he could finish what he started.

Great observations.

My one game at a time thoughts.

PIT...yes, the Jets DEF will pose a problem...this is not a QB you can sit back in the zone shell and rush 3 or 4...get after his ass and make him throw on the run or quicker than he would like and maybe they get a pick or two...They are to be feared...the players will respect their talent.

BAL...The Redskins pose an equal challenge that OAK did. Speed/size at WR, accurate QB, I think WAS DEF is better than what they showed in week 1. I think WAS is a better team overall, but rare for BAL to lose two in a row at home so idk.

CIN...@ DAL, CIN is the better team but it's on the road. I think if they can keep the run in check and make the rookie have to beat them throwing I like their chances.

CLE...NE...Brady dying to get back...after a bad loss. This game will be over at the half. That said CLE is playing hard for Jackson and the young player mistakes, missed FGs, etc has kept them from a win. They are trending for the #1 overall and the also have the Rams #1 and #2...the DE from TX A&M seems to be the early favorite to be the 1st pick, but even with Kessler playing well, they need to invest in a higher pick to compete for the job.

If the FO waxes Hue Jackson before 3 yrs they will be doomed for failure for the next 10 yrs.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Eifert got injured again... Bummer for them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PIT...4-1, beat NYJ 31-13...very solid play by the Steelers OFC/DEF/ST...now control the North by a game over BAL, who are 1-0 in DIV also...@ MIA next.

BAL...3-2, lost to WAS 16-10...had their chances in that game...a interception return was fumbled at the goal line, and a catch overturned in the endzone ruled no catch...@ NYG next.

CIN...2-3, lost @ DAL 28-14...This game was sent to ATL, the Bengals were never really in it. A little surprising to see them run on like they were by the young rookie RB. The only good thing was they lost to a NFC team 2-2 in conference, but they need to find something quick...@ NE next.

CLE...0-5, lost to NE 33-13...nobody is going to feel sorry for them, but the Browns are down to their 4th QB after losing the rookie Kessler to injury in the 1st half...really tough start for Hue Jackson and the Browns...they are starting to put firm grip on the #1 overall pick...@ TN next.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because I'm bored, and read this tweet... It inspired me to look ahead at the remaining schedule.

Week 6... @MIA
Should be an easy win regardless of the injuries that have been piling up. Coaching has been top notch lately so I expect no drop off. Doesn't look like Shazier will be back as his knee injury was reported as a sprain. Likely out another couple weeks. Golden, Rogers & Nix will probably give it a go. Happy to see Golden back. The others are just cherries on top. As we've said many times, Miami is at the bottom of the league and banged up all over. Steelers need to put them out of their misery... W

Week 7... vNE
Huge AFC showdown. I expect this to be a complete arms race through 4 quarters. Whoever's defense can be the most opportunistic will likely be the x-factor of this game. 1 or 2 turnovers, or holding to FG's would be monumental to the outcome. Expect both outfits to bring their A-game to this one. Honestly wouldn't mind a loss here heading into the bye week. A win would seal this team's place atop the AFC though. They expect to get a lot of players back from injury after the bye... L

Week 8... Bye
The long awaited appearance of Ladarius Green. Shazier & Heyward should be back to full health. We might even see the IR-recall placed on Golson who could be eligible for return. Just depends on how far along Dupree is. Dupree would be the obvious choice but recent reports say he's not even close to returning.

Week 9... @BAL
I expect fireworks here. Steelers will not want to drop 2 AFC games in a row should they lose to NE. 2 weeks of prep before heading into Baltimore. As I said above, hopefully the team is a lot closer to full health at this point. Ravens could be finding a groove at this point. New OC that should have learned from Trestman's mistakes so expect a better, more balanced attack. Mike Wallace (not to mention Steve Smith - remember his hate for Mike Mitchell?) is going to be looking forward to this game. Hard place to play in this brutal rivalry, but I'm expecting a win... W

Week 10... vDAL
The return of Romo? We'll have to wait and see. Not sure Dallas' running attack can hang with PIT's offense if it is still firing on all cylinders. If Steelers run the score up early then I see them winning this game. Dallas can control the TOP easily with that O-line. Hopefully both Heyward & Tuitt are healthy at this point. We will need those 2 badly in this game. Dallas has a formidable defense, but they haven't been stellar on the road. Should be an interesting matchup, glad its at Heinz... W

Week 11... @CLE
Wouldn't be surprised to see the Browns give us a scare in the 1st half of this game. Hue Jackson is still implementing his build. They have taken quite a few steps back from injuries and all, but make no mistake, Jackson is a solid coach. He'll be looking to make some sort of statement at this point in the season. We know Cleveland's ownership gets very restless this time of year. If Hue is anywhere near the hotseat then he'll pull out all the stops... W

Week 12... @IND
Not sure what to make of this game yet. Colts are pretty bipolar right now so it depends on if their offense can find its identity. More or less I'm thinking if that offense starts playing well they will be able to keep it close but ultimately they don't have the defense to keep the Steelers off the field. Fingers crossed the Steelers offense continues to hum. Any struggles and we might come out on the wrong side of this outcome. But at this point I'm not very worried about the Colts. They look pretty soft. Not saying this game will be the loss, but I think they will be due an upset L in week 12 or 13. Hope I'm wrong... L

Week 13... vNYG
Exact same sentiments as the Colts. Who knows what type of team they will be at this point. Eli is typically pretty miserable in November & December posting a 5-12 record during those months the previous 2 seasons. Giants defense is playing pretty well though. Hoping the Steelers O-line can continue to handle its business, which will likely keep this offense unstoppable... W

Week 14... @BUF
Rex typically folds down the stretch. Doubt the good football we are seeing from them right now will last. At this point I'm sure the Buffalo fanbase will be screaming for some heads to roll... W

Week 15... @CIN
Tough sell for a win here with Bengals likely fighting for 1 of the final WC slots. They are going to throw the kitchen sink at PIT. Hoping for a great game, but not sure they will be able to sweep the Bungals. Fingers crossed Burfict doesn't take anyone out for the postseason run... L

Week 16... vBAL
Back to back matchups with the AFCN. Baltimore will be just like Cincy, holding on for dear life for a WC spot. Steelers will be licking their paws after Cincy, so I think they will rebound to make a statement heading into the postseason. Sweep seems likely... W

Week 17... vCLE
Back to back to back matchups with the AFCN. Jesus, will they have anything left for the postseason? lol. I think this game will be a good confidence booster at the very least. If Bell is still healthy, I'm hoping they give D-Will or Toussaint the reins in this game. Just get through this game healthy and I'll be happy regardless of the outcome... W

11-5 heading into the playoffs, possibly 12-4 if Tomlin & Co can keep this team playing the way it is. That should be plenty good enough for the #2 or 3 seed. Anything better is obviously welcome. Would be nice to see a divisional berth for a bye week during the WC round. Feels like its been a while since that has happened.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did the NFL give Pittsburgh 3 bye weeks this year? Weeks 8, 11 & 17. That's bullshit!:rant:

:exploding:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did the NFL give Pittsburgh 3 bye weeks this year? Weeks 8, 11 & 17. That's bullshit!:rant:

:exploding:
Prepping the Stillers for that Stairway to 7 lol. Still pretty worried about those 3 AFCN bouts leading into the postseason. Could be very brutal. Seems like 2-3 years in a row the Steelers have suffered huge injuries during those weeks that deflate the offense.