• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the AFCN

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baltimore has 4 road games remaining - Dallas, New England, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. That is a brutal slate of games. Two division games on the road and two of the best teams (thus far) in football. And their offense is broken. I'd put their chances at the division at less than 10%

I'm not convinced the Bengals are going to come out of their funk..... Sure, it's nice to rack up 500 yards on Cleveland - But they are basically a minor league team at this point. Their D couldn't stop a simple counter play that hasn't worked all season for us. And yet, their offense still put up a ton of yards including a 100 yard rushing performance by a quarterback. The Bengals D is broke and the offense isn't quite as dynamic as last year. I think 9 or 10 wins is possible (mostly if Dalton and Green stay hot and the running game improves), but if i had to place a bet I think we end up 8-8.

Steelers get the Browns twice.... And when Ben gets back, you'd figure they would be favored to win most of the remaining games -maybe an underdog to Dallas if Ben is still questionable, and maybe an underdog either in Buffalo or Cincy (depending on how well those teams are playing). I figure the Steelers will get 10 wins.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baltimore has 4 road games remaining - Dallas, New England, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. That is a brutal slate of games. Two division games on the road and two of the best teams (thus far) in football. And their offense is broken. I'd put their chances at the division at less than 10%

I'm not convinced the Bengals are going to come out of their funk..... Sure, it's nice to rack up 500 yards on Cleveland - But they are basically a minor league team at this point. Their D couldn't stop a simple counter play that hasn't worked all season for us. And yet, their offense still put up a ton of yards including a 100 yard rushing performance by a quarterback. The Bengals D is broke and the offense isn't quite as dynamic as last year. I think 9 or 10 wins is possible (mostly if Dalton and Green stay hot and the running game improves), but if i had to place a bet I think we end up 8-8.

Steelers get the Browns twice.... And when Ben gets back, you'd figure they would be favored to win most of the remaining games -maybe an underdog to Dallas if Ben is still questionable, and maybe an underdog either in Buffalo or Cincy (depending on how well those teams are playing). I figure the Steelers will get 10 wins.
Baltimore... Just when I thought they were finding their identity, they start to crumble. Poor O-line play is dogged them yesterday. Hard to see them winning any of those road games if they continue to play that poorly. Could be a brutal way to finish out the season for them. Seems like injuries are starting to creep back up on them.

Cincinnati... What's goin on with that defense? Somehow the run defense has almost completely disappeared? The offense is where it should be though. The O-line is winning their battles and keeping Dalton upright. That's huge in the long run. Good to see Hill getting some confidence back. I was struggling to see why they were starting Bernard over him.

Pittsburgh... It all revolves around health at this point. They need their starters back, and fast. The loss of Heyward seems to be bigger than we had expected. Without him teams are running at will on them. I'm not convinced that Landry is going to win us any games if he should start again. I was happy to see him playing smart football last night, but the continuous dump passing isn't going to win the game. He needs to keep taking shots down field, and needs to stop underthrowing his receivers. Ben won't stay out very long. Even if he's not 100% he'll be back. I am about 80% confident that he will be back for the Ravens game after the bye. That 20% of me is thinkin he shouldn't risk it, but bein a divisional game I think its almost a must. The O-line is playing well so as long as he doesn't do his usual 'holding the ball too long' then he shouldn't take too many shots.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baltimore... Just when I thought they were finding their identity, they start to crumble. Poor O-line play is dogged them yesterday. Hard to see them winning any of those road games if they continue to play that poorly. Could be a brutal way to finish out the season for them. Seems like injuries are starting to creep back up on them.

Cincinnati... What's goin on with that defense? Somehow the run defense has almost completely disappeared? The offense is where it should be though. The O-line is winning their battles and keeping Dalton upright. That's huge in the long run. Good to see Hill getting some confidence back. I was struggling to see why they were starting Bernard over him.

Pittsburgh... It all revolves around health at this point. They need their starters back, and fast. The loss of Heyward seems to be bigger than we had expected. Without him teams are running at will on them. I'm not convinced that Landry is going to win us any games if he should start again. I was happy to see him playing smart football last night, but the continuous dump passing isn't going to win the game. He needs to keep taking shots down field, and needs to stop underthrowing his receivers. Ben won't stay out very long. Even if he's not 100% he'll be back. I am about 80% confident that he will be back for the Ravens game after the bye. That 20% of me is thinkin he shouldn't risk it, but bein a divisional game I think its almost a must. The O-line is playing well so as long as he doesn't do his usual 'holding the ball too long' then he shouldn't take too many shots.

I don't know what's up with the Bengal defense..... They were the 2nd best scoring defense in the league last year. And in recent history they've been stout against the run. Burfict indicated that teams are running away from Atkins and Burfict and they just aren't cleaning up the back-end. I think Reggie Nelson and Leon Hall being gone has hurt more than we figured - They were vets and helped on the back-end. I also think that Atkins hasn't been his dominant self, Burfict hasn't been very good, and teams are really killing us when they run out of the spread. The coaches haven't adjusted.

Pittsburgh goes as Ben does...... I'm just not sure if he'll ever allow himself to be a pocket passer that's willing to get rid of the ball when nothing is there. He's a playmaker - Hard to break those habits.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BAL has their own set of injuries, but you can never count them out, especially vs PIT.

CIN...Eifert was eased back into the fold last week, not much action, but him back really helps that OFC...another guy Dalton can trust.

PIT...Ben told the sideline reporter last week if this was a playoff game he would be out there, so that tells me he's most likely going to play in BAL. Steelers really need to win out at home, take CLE on the road and hopefully IND and that would be 10.

Overall....the BAL game obviously is important...3 way tie if CIN wins in London and BAL beats PIT.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BAL has their own set of injuries, but you can never count them out, especially vs PIT.

CIN...Eifert was eased back into the fold last week, not much action, but him back really helps that OFC...another guy Dalton can trust.

PIT...Ben told the sideline reporter last week if this was a playoff game he would be out there, so that tells me he's most likely going to play in BAL. Steelers really need to win out at home, take CLE on the road and hopefully IND and that would be 10.

Overall....the BAL game obviously is important...3 way tie if CIN wins in London and BAL beats PIT.
Ben... Yea I heard that during the NE game. I had little doubt the injury would hold him out very long. We've seen him play through lots of knee/ankle injuries before. My only worry was what the knee procedure might reveal. Luckily the damage was trimmable and we had a bye week. The additional cleanup from the injury in 15 (STL) was a little concerning as well. Couldn't agree more about the BAL game's importance. Lose that game and the season is in jeopardy.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben... Yea I heard that during the NE game. I had little doubt the injury would hold him out very long. We've seen him play through lots of knee/ankle injuries before. My only worry was what the knee procedure might reveal. Luckily the damage was trimmable and we had a bye week. The additional cleanup from the injury in 15 (STL) was a little concerning as well. Couldn't agree more about the BAL game's importance. Lose that game and the season is in jeopardy.

Ben...yeah effectively 3 weeks since the injury before he takes the field again in a game and it had to be a scope for us to even be having this conversation.

BAL game...it's important, and really hurts WC chances if KC/BUF/OAK keep winning...but not dire in terms of the DIV...would be a 3 way tie if CIN this week and BAL beats PIT...Steeler have the best chance to post 10 wins...just get healthy.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFC North Standings: Division fails to tally a victory for the second straight week

That tie was brutal for Cincy. I think it was CincyGrad that already pointed it out, but they need to string together wins now that they are past the roughest part of their schedule. Still a relatively tough slate of games comin up after their bye week. @NYG, BUF, @BAL... I could see them winning at least 2/3 of those.

They just don't have it this year..... The offense has playmakers and can move the ball. Heck, they're probably getting a career year from AJ. But they continue to leave all sorts of points on the field. The defense is much worse.... It's actually sort of hard to believe how bad they've become.

They'll need to go 6-2 down the stretch to make the playoffs. The schedule is reasonable - Aside from the Steelers, there aren't many teams on that schedule with imposing offenses. But, I just don't think they're capable. It's been a down year and I expect it to continue. I think they go 4-4 down the stretch.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just don't have it this year..... The offense has playmakers and can move the ball. Heck, they're probably getting a career year from AJ. But they continue to leave all sorts of points on the field. The defense is much worse.... It's actually sort of hard to believe how bad they've become.

They'll need to go 6-2 down the stretch to make the playoffs. The schedule is reasonable - Aside from the Steelers, there aren't many teams on that schedule with imposing offenses. But, I just don't think they're capable. It's been a down year and I expect it to continue. I think they go 4-4 down the stretch.
Just like the Steelers! Great offense, but the defense has gotten worse. Didn't think it was possible judging by last year. Through 8 weeks the Steelers are dead last in sacks, tied for 2nd to last in INT's, ranked 27th in total yards allowed per game, 26th in passing yds per game, ranked 15th in rushing yds per game... I could go on and on... Defense is a shitshow.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like the Steelers! Great offense, but the defense has gotten worse. Didn't think it was possible judging by last year. Through 8 weeks the Steelers are dead last in sacks, tied for 2nd to last in INT's, ranked 27th in total yards allowed per game, 26th in passing yds per game, ranked 15th in rushing yds per game... I could go on and on... Defense is a shitshow.

It's funny how it has taken more than a season to realize the effects of losing a great coordinator. We lost Zimmer and our D hung tough the last two seasons..... I started believing that our new coordinator was going to become an HC candidate. But the longer we get away from the Zimmer days, the worse our defense has become. They have absolutely no identity anymore...... Actually, let me correct that - They are a bunch of cheap-shorting, mouth runners that can't really stop anyone. It's pretty sad to see them talking shit while giving up 500 yards.

You guys are probably facing some of the same stuff..... LeBeau was more than a coordinator - He got a lot out of his players. They played hard for him at all times.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny how it has taken more than a season to realize the effects of losing a great coordinator. We lost Zimmer and our D hung tough the last two seasons..... I started believing that our new coordinator was going to become an HC candidate. But the longer we get away from the Zimmer days, the worse our defense has become. They have absolutely no identity anymore...... Actually, let me correct that - They are a bunch of cheap-shorting, mouth runners that can't really stop anyone. It's pretty sad to see them talking shit while giving up 500 yards.

You guys are probably facing some of the same stuff..... LeBeau was more than a coordinator - He got a lot out of his players. They played hard for him at all times.

Amen. The words "he got a lot out of his players" couldn't be more true about LeBeau. Aptly named Coach Dad for a reason. He made warriors out of just about anyone. It was sad seeing him go, but his days were numbered when his scheme wouldn't adapt to the pass-happy league. He'll always be remembered as one of the best DC's Pittsburgh has ever seen.

And I can relate to the mouth runners. PIT has one at the FS position. He loves to fluff his feathers and run his mouth after a big hit even if they are getting dominated.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Butler is fine imo...I'm sure Lebeau has forgotten more about DEF than Butler knows, but Lebeau didn't have to transition in so many young players at the same time...that was never the "Steeler way" back in that time. But as Troy, and the group got old, and had to be replaced...most of these guys were green.

The Steelers biggest issue is in the FO/Tomlin...they have missed on edge rushers too many times, and it's caught up to them...their best pass rushers are interior DL...LY with two vet safeties Butler felt a lot more comfortable blitzing and it paid off with 48 sacks, and it was a sack by committee DEF.

This yr with a 1st yr starter at SS, SS3 is a rookie who has been counted on in nickel and dime, CB3 is a rookie and NT is a rookie. CB2 is a 2nd yr guy...so he's played to protect them and they are on pace to post less than half the sack total of LY.

I think he has to let those boys grow up under fire....let them play more man and the chips fall where they may.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butler is fine imo...I'm sure Lebeau has forgotten more about DEF than Butler knows, but Lebeau didn't have to transition in so many young players at the same time...that was never the "Steeler way" back in that time. But as Troy, and the group got old, and had to be replaced...most of these guys were green.

The Steelers biggest issue is in the FO/Tomlin...they have missed on edge rushers too many times, and it's caught up to them...their best pass rushers are interior DL...LY with two vet safeties Butler felt a lot more comfortable blitzing and it paid off with 48 sacks, and it was a sack by committee DEF.

This yr with a 1st yr starter at SS, SS3 is a rookie who has been counted on in nickel and dime, CB3 is a rookie and NT is a rookie. CB2 is a 2nd yr guy...so he's played to protect them and they are on pace to post less than half the sack total of LY.

I think he has to let those boys grow up under fire....let them play more man and the chips fall where they may.

I think the Bengals blitz much less with Reggie Nelson and Leon Hall being gone..... The Bengals.com beat writer (a gigantic homer) swears we were never a blitzing team, but I completely disagree. Zimmer brought all the double A gap stuff to our team and we would frequently blitz on third downs. This year it appears that we are scared to do it and we've made a lot of young guys comfortable in the pocket.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bengals blitz much less with Reggie Nelson and Leon Hall being gone..... The Bengals.com beat writer (a gigantic homer) swears we were never a blitzing team, but I completely disagree. Zimmer brought all the double A gap stuff to our team and we would frequently blitz on third downs. This year it appears that we are scared to do it and we've made a lot of young guys comfortable in the pocket.

Nelson and Hall were good players, big losses...CIN had been doing a good job keep there own, but I get they felt a need to get Williams in there who I think is a good player...but Kirkpatrick is not the equal of Hall....on a side note...I figured Eifert would get untracked in his 2nd game back and he looked pretty good in UK.

Steelers sure as hell made the young PHI QB look comfy. With another coming up in DAL...They have the schedule to at least post 10 wins imo, but if they don't step it up on DEF pressure, it won't matter even if they do make the playoffs....gotta take more risks imo.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tough break on the news on AJ and Bernard....we're all taking major injury hits this year.

Gonna be tough to close strong w/o AJ for sure...but with this very mediocre DIV, I keep forgetting about the tie, thought CIN had 7 losses...they are actually still in it. If they fall short, you wonder if Brown will take this opportunity to fire Lewis.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 6 games to go.

PIT... 5-5...@ IND, NYG, @BUF, CIN, BAL, CLE
BAL...5-5...CIN, MIA, @NE, PHI, @PIT, @CIN
CIN...3-6-1...@BAL, PHI, @CLE, PIT, @HOU, BAL
CLE...0-11...why bother

Mediocre at the top to down right awful at the bottom. I have to say the only teams that have not under-performed from my pre-season expectations would be CLE and BAL. I did think CLE would win 3-4 games with RG3 and several FA that were ultimately allowed to leave, but as constructed...0-16 is prob

Wheaton was put IR to go with Heyward...if the reports are true on a hamstring tear, and ACL...CIN will most likely be putting Green and Benard on IR.

At this point IDK how CIN is going to fare moving forward with two key losses on OFC. Hill is a very capable RB, but Bernard was big in the passing game, very explosive. We'll have to see what happens there, but looking at this games remaining, I think this DIV is going to go down to the last week.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinnati was having an awful season before losing AJ and Bernard..... It's only going to get worse. Most of the team looks like they could care less..... They only guys that looked like they gave a damn were Dalton, AJ and Bernard and now two of them are gone. We're left with the underachievers, crap-talkers, and has-beens. And a coach that will forgive them for their poor performance. I figure we win 2 more games at most.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinnati was having an awful season before losing AJ and Bernard..... It's only going to get worse. Most of the team looks like they could care less..... They only guys that looked like they gave a damn were Dalton, AJ and Bernard and now two of them are gone. We're left with the underachievers, crap-talkers, and has-beens. And a coach that will forgive them for their poor performance. I figure we win 2 more games at most.
They both better be against Baltimore.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly once again an AFCN team needed to play against the Browns to get a win.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just goes to show us...the NFL is hit or miss.

Most of the NFL talking heads thought AZ was going to the SB...they most likely won't make the playoffs...most thought DAL might win 6 games when Romo went down...best record in the league right now.