• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the AFCN

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only getting worse..... Marvin's team captain (and favorite redemption project) Adam 'PacMan' Jones just got himself arrested yesterday. What do you do about a guy that is North of 30, was a major part of an epic postseason meltdown, gets arrested every 2 or 3 seasons, and generally makes more news due to his mouth rather than his play?? Apparently nothing...... We'll probably nominate him captain again. No accountability on or off the field with Marvin. And it's a real shame, because when Marvin had Zim, Gruden, and Hue along with a talented roster, they had a pretty nice window for a run. That window looks to be closing.
That's a shame. Like you said, no accountability so essentially the players run the team so long as the league doesn't suspend them. Because we know the Bengals sure won't.

As for the window closing, I'm not so sure about that. The talent is still there. What are your guys' FA this offseason? I think I read you talked about Whitworth & Kirkpatrick. Not sure how they wouldn't resign Whitworth. But if Kirk walks, holy crap that would mean yet another CB drafted high for the Bengals?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a shame. Like you said, no accountability so essentially the players run the team so long as the league doesn't suspend them. Because we know the Bengals sure won't.

As for the window closing, I'm not so sure about that. The talent is still there. What are your guys' FA this offseason? I think I read you talked about Whitworth & Kirkpatrick. Not sure how they wouldn't resign Whitworth. But if Kirk walks, holy crap that would mean yet another CB drafted high for the Bengals?
Just looked it up... If there is any truth to this website then it looks like they are losing a lot of D-line depth... Peko, Gilberry, & Hunt are names I recognize.

2017 NFL Free Agents Tracker

Also, do you think Boyd showed enough that they don't need to resign LaFell? I could see them drafting a WR fairly high again.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the window is always closing for every team that's been in the playoffs with a core group of players for several years.

With PIT, we know it's QB.

In the Bengals case...they are still pretty young across the board, but some key guys are aging. Whitworth, they really don't have a legit replacement yet. The kid that lost his job at RT I understand is moving to LT. As you mentioned, Peko, Adams, are on the other side of 30. Add in Dansby. Michael Johnson 2.0 has not been the same player.

CB...yeah they will probably keep Adams around if he doesn't get suspended, but I think they were planning on the kid that got hurt at CB for next yr maybe in lieu of paying Kirkpatrick...he'll still be a rookie basically (much like Golson) and CIN has been worst than PIT about playing rookies. I think they have to pay Kirkpatrick now.

They still have enough talent to be back in the playoffs next yr, but they do have to figure some things out.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked it up... If there is any truth to this website then it looks like they are losing a lot of D-line depth... Peko, Gilberry, & Hunt are names I recognize.

2017 NFL Free Agents Tracker

Also, do you think Boyd showed enough that they don't need to resign LaFell? I could see them drafting a WR fairly high again.

I wound mind it if the Steelers took a flyer on Margus Hunt. For the right price.

He was a freak coming out of college and was considered very raw coming out of college. Would like to see if he could become another Aaron Smith or Keisel to help out the OLBs.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a no-brainer that they re-sign Whitworth. I think he's motivated to play his entire career in one place and I think the team is motivated to keep him around as the leader of the team. I also think he has 2 solid years left in him.

I think the next target would be Dre Kirkpatrick and I think it's important they keep him given Jones' diminishing physical skills and persistent off the field issues. WJIII hasn't played yet so we don't know what we got there. Darqueze Dennard has been a major disappointment. Josh Shaw has been a nice find, but not a top corner.

To me, the roster still is strong but they have major issues on the offensive and defensive line. On D, they have a few young players that haven't been given a chance. Billings was a first round type of prospect, but hasn't seen the field yet. I think they might be able to upgrade from within, but they definitely need the draft or FA to look for outside pass rush. Michael Johnson looks finished.

On offense, i think the young receivers are fine and almost anyone would look good if Green and Eifert were healthy. Boyd was a great pick..... I think he'll be a good 2nd receiver/slot receiver for a long time. But we probably need to upgrade most of the line. It will be interesting to see what they do there.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wound mind it if the Steelers took a flyer on Margus Hunt. For the right price.

He was a freak coming out of college and was considered very raw coming out of college. Would like to see if he could become another Aaron Smith or Keisel to help out the OLBs.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him star somewhere else..... It's just taking too damn long to wait for him to come around. He did have some big moments this year with blocking field goals. But, he's just not aggressive enough on D - Still sorta reminds you of a track guy playing football.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be shocked to see him star somewhere else..... It's just taking too damn long to wait for him to come around. He did have some big moments this year with blocking field goals. But, he's just not aggressive enough on D - Still sorta reminds you of a track guy playing football.

Yeah well, if SMU wouldn't have cut the track program, he would have never played football at all. He was just there to be train by the discus/shot/hammer coach and they killed the track program. June Jones gave him a football scholarship when he saw him.

It takes a while develop those prospects. It took Aaron Smith and Keisel a while to develop, but they got to a point where they had to be double teamed and really opened things up for the LBs. I thought he would be more established than he is, but I still wouldn't mind the Steelers taking a chance on him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's built to be a 4-3 DE...certainly has the frame to put on 20lbs and be a 3-4 DE, but on the Steelers I wouldn't expect him to be much more than a depth player behind Tuitt and Heyward. Do need depth there.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no thanks. he's just not that good. he'd be our new "jarvis"

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no thanks. he's just not that good. he'd be our new "jarvis"

That's why I said take a flyer if the price is right. I know he is a project, but if you can get him a just over league minimum, he would be ahead of a project in the draft.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I said take a flyer if the price is right. I know he is a project, but if you can get him a just over league minimum, he would be ahead of a project in the draft.

Okay. If he's willing to sign a contract for league minimum, then welcome aboard and get ready to battle for that roster spot. Otherwise, as I said, no thanks.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the natty championship, anyone thinking Deshaun Watson goes to Cleveland?

15873461_1364789423567742_7014049697919257108_n.jpg

@Wamu @Sgt Brutus

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn a 3rd round pick is a great return!

@Oldschool739 @blue_suns

Too bad it wasn't a 2nd, but that's probably a good thing since the Ravens don't have a good track record with 2nd round picks (Osemele and Rice being the exception)

CB, S, C, OLB/pass rusher, WR, KR/PR are priorities next year

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad it wasn't a 2nd, but that's probably a good thing since the Ravens don't have a good track record with 2nd round picks (Osemele and Rice being the exception)

CB, S, C, OLB/pass rusher, WR, KR/PR are priorities next year
Suggs & Dumerville under contract next season? Those 2 are getting up there in age. But then again, they did just draft Correa & Kaufusi with that in mind.

I'm thinking Ravens go either DB or WR in the 1st round. How many picks does Baltimore have in this upcoming draft?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals are projected to get two 4th round picks (for Jones and Sanu) and two 6th round picks (for Nelson and Tits McGee). A smart team would use these extra picks to move around in the draft..... The Bengals will probably just use them on undersized linebackers and offensive lineman that are scared to block.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals are projected to get two 4th round picks (for Jones and Sanu) and two 6th round picks (for Nelson and Tits McGee). A smart team would use these extra picks to move around in the draft..... The Bengals will probably just use them on undersized linebackers and offensive lineman that are scared to block.
Who are you fondly referring to as Tits McGee? lol Made me choke on my coffee btw

:pound::pound:

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn a 3rd round pick is a great return!

@Oldschool739 @blue_suns

I'll believe it when I see it face, we've been burnt before on these projections....good thing is, comp picks can be traded this year so maybe Ozzie can use it to trade up and get us real #1 wr or CB. I'm on the fire Harbs and Pees band myself, or it's more of the same most likely. Granted we were close to winning the division but again the weak link showed up, Pees D collapses and Jarbs says I have full confidence his D. :scratch::gaah:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll believe it when I see it face, we've been burnt before on these projections....good thing is, comp picks can be traded this year so maybe Ozzie can use it to trade up and get us real #1 wr or CB. I'm on the fire Harbs and Pees band myself, or it's more of the same most likely. Granted we were close to winning the division but again the weak link showed up, Pees D collapses and Jarbs says I have full confidence his D. :scratch::gaah:
Fire Harbs? No way OS! He's a great coach.

I think Pees D is solid and continues to improve. Obviously the wink link is in the secondary (much like the Steelers). Like Blue said, if they can draft a solid CB & S I think they will see that defense in the top 5 next season.