• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arnold Palmer Invitational

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you, and I get your point, but the word advantage doesn't really apply because everyone can/could use it. The USGA/RA have dealt with this in the past...Snead had a putting stroke banned. Just as walking is considered a fundamental part of the game on the PGAT, they consider a putting stroke to be as well and using your body as a fulcrum point (essentially what anchoring does) was never intended...they just finally caught up to it as anchored putters started winning.

The timing is screwed up especially considering how long anchored putting has been legal, but long over due.

My beef is strictly with the players on the PGAT and any tour that is computed for world ranking points. If an amateur wants to use and anchored putter I have no problem with it.

Same here.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep - I knew that everyone here was aware of the change - just making a comment. So - does anyone believe that any of the current players using the long putter will adjust well by that time?

No. I think they'll use it right up to the bitter end hoping that some sort of legal injunction will allow them to use the anchored stroke longer.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep - I knew that everyone here was aware of the change - just making a comment. So - does anyone believe that any of the current players using the long putter will adjust well by that time?

Gotcha...

A few notables and my opinion.

Tim Clark...probably not, already nearing the end anyway.
Petterson...probably not.
Scott...yes, but won't stay in the top 50 for long
Simpson...yes, but may not win another major
Bradley...ditto

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have no problem with the long putter.

You'd have to win me over with an argument for each player playing the same clubs and the same ball for me to see any difference.

I'll agree with Toby that it looks fucking silly. Beyond that, if I think a long putter's beating me, I could always use one myself.

I here ya and not trying to convince you otherwise, but it's not the length of the putter..it's how you're using it...some players went to an anchoring style putter to cure the yips. I think Langer was one of them.

I get your point about it beating you...but you may not have the ailment that it cures, if not, it doesn't benefit you the same way.

IMO...it gives the guy that can't keep his hands steady during a putting stroke a crutch.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your point is taken as well. I just see so much differentiation with equipment that I can't get too riled up over it.

My greatest disagreement with you cats would be a separate set of rules for pros and the rest of us. Playing by the very same rules is one thing that links our endeavors to theirs.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I here ya and not trying to convince you otherwise, but it's not the length of the putter..it's how you're using it...some players went to an anchoring style putter to cure the yips. I think Langer was one of them.

I get your point about it beating you...but you may not have the ailment that it cures, if not, it doesn't benefit you the same way.

IMO...it gives the guy that can't keep his hands steady during a putting stroke a crutch.

There it is right there. Its the anchored stroke, not the length of the putter.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea ..Adam was so steady yesterday that he putted himself right out of a trophy and the #1 ranking in the world.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your point is taken as well. I just see so much differentiation with equipment that I can't get too riled up over it.

My greatest disagreement with you cats would be a separate set of rules for pros and the rest of us. Playing by the very same rules is one thing that links our endeavors to theirs.

Well, I can see that point also, but there are already differences...we ride mostly, they walk...playing for a living vs recreation. I don't like anchoring putter at all, but why should a guy with a bad back not be able to play in your league because he can't bend over to use a regular length putter? He just wants to compete, have fun like any other guy.

But...on tour...Hogan lost some prime years because of the accident. Had he been able to use a cart, he may have won who knows how many more tournaments.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea ..Adam was so steady yesterday that he putted himself right out of a trophy and the #1 ranking in the world.

He was steady to the tune of a 7 shot lead...lol...until Sunday.

It wasn't a big enough crutch...lol...but seriously...based on what we had seen of Scott's career, do you think he wins the Masters w/o the anchored putter?

Being totally honest as much as I like the guy's swing, I don't think so. He'd lost confidence in his putter. I'm not saying his case was that severe, but losing your putter has driven guys (Baker-Finch, Johnny Miller) off the tour entirely.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Imagine what he would have done if he couldn't anchor his putter.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys picked a really weird day to go off on the evils of anchored putting when 24 hrs ago a regular putter prevailed over 2 of them.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys picked a really weird day to go off on the evils of anchored putting when 24 hrs ago a regular putter prevailed over 2 of them.

That was talent winning out. I have no problem with that. But it has no relevance to the argument against the anchored putting stroke.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was talent winning out. I have no problem with that. But it has no relevance to the argument against the anchored putting stroke.

It was talent winning out, as long as it was talent that won the 2013 Masters.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was talent winning out, as long as it was talent that won the 2013 Masters.

Fair enough. It takes massive talent to win the Masters, but I still am not comfortable with the integrity of an anchored stroke.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol...I did say with a passion.

I'm not one of these guys that thinks anchoring is going to make you take 3 less putts per round or something...lol.

It is what it is at this point, we'll see how these guys adjust.