• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arnold Palmer Invitational

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why because it's an unfair advantage? ..Scott put that argument to bed today. I could have putted better with branch that has a rapid badger tied to the bottom of it.

He did, the timid Scott resurfaced...you saw it on the face of S. Williams on the short miss for birdie...but the question remains where would his floor be if not for anchoring...would he have made this comeback? does he win the Masters? I think anchoring as given him new life as a top player.

All within the rules, but...

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently not. Nice meltdown by Scott.

Yup, I was gonna bump my post. I always enjoy a nice Euro collapse...thanks Adam. I actually have nothing against Adam except for his asshole caddy.

Nice to see the kid win even if he did miss that final putt.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats Every!

Adam Scott, +4, 76 did give it away...actually I was pretty surprised given that he was more accomplished than anyone chasing, but it happens. Pressure of world #1 I think was a bigger factor than wining Arnie's event....Started going south early and never really brought it back...3 putting 16 for par from 20' was the last nail.

Opened the door for somebody and Matt Every walked thru it...backed in there after some playing...the bogey on 16 shook him...his caddy basically had to take over or he may have tried to cut something around that tree and made dbl. Good to see...30 y/o journeyman made a nice check.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see Every pacing around like a nervous dog on the 17th tee? His caddy should have gotten him back to normal. Easier said than done but it was obvious that he was extremely anxious.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Scott, +4, 76 did give it away...actually I was pretty surprised given that he was more accomplished than anyone chasing, but it happens. Pressure of world #1 I think was a bigger factor than wining Arnie's event....Started going south early and never really brought it back...3 putting 16 for par from 20' was the last nail.

Opened the door for somebody and Matt Every walked thru it...backed in there after some playing...the bogey on 16 shook him...his caddy basically had to take over or he may have tried to cut something around that tree and made dbl. Good to see...30 y/o journeyman made a nice check.

Yep & I couldn't believe that his bunker shot on 17 didn't go in the hole. This appears to be an example of actually seeing pressure having a big impact in the form of the leaders missing very short putts. It is like they always say - if someone tells you to make a 3 ft putt on a given day - NP. However - if they say "This putt is worth a million dollars" it is a completely different thing. It was also nice to see Every very emotional since this was the tourney that he always went to since it was basically in his backyard.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see Every pacing around like a nervous dog on the 17th tee? His caddy should have gotten him back to normal. Easier said than done but it was obvious that he was extremely anxious.

Yep...seeing both those eagle putts in there tight, he thought he'd blown it. I actually thought his 6i shot on 17 was a good shot, he had to be jacked up, 5i was the club but because he w as jacked up, he may have been trying to take something off and put it in the water.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did, the timid Scott resurfaced...you saw it on the face of S. Williams on the short miss for birdie...but the question remains where would his floor be if not for anchoring...would he have made this comeback? does he win the Masters? I think anchoring as given him new life as a top player.

All within the rules, but...

Please don't bring up the putting at the Masters when the guy that won lead in GIR.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand all the angst against the long anchored putters. If they work better, use one.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep & I couldn't believe that his bunker shot on 17 didn't go in the hole. This appears to be an example of actually seeing pressure having a big impact in the form of the leaders missing very short putts. It is like they always say - if someone tells you to make a 3 ft putt on a given day - NP. However - if they say "This putt is worth a million dollars" it is a completely different thing. It was also nice to see Every very emotional since this was the tourney that he always went to since it was basically in his backyard

Indeed...even in the little tourney we used to play...(a 2' trophy and about $200 in cash) pressure turned 2 footers into 20 footers...can only imagine the life altering impact of a 3 footer to win a PGAT event....2 yr exemption, playing the Masters...all those things go through your head real fast I bet...for a 30 y/o from that area as you said...genuine emotion.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand all the angst against the long anchored putters. If they work better, use one.

I don't get it either. If they are sooooo good, how did Scott miss that put.

What gets me is the ban after people have used it for years

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad for Every but don't like to see a guy win gagging all the way to the clubhouse with two bogeys and a lucky par on the last three holes. I know what he did earlier in the round allowed him the room to crawl home with the win but I still don't like it.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get it either. If they are sooooo good, how did Scott miss that put.

What gets me is the ban after people have used it for years

I think everyone needs to use the same equipment. I don't think anchoring the putter is right. As for Scott missing all those putts, there is a reason guys like him go to a long putter and its because they are shitty putters and this gives them an advantage. Plus, it just looks bad.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Missing the point...it's not a matter of it being better...is an aid or not?

No one goes to an anchored style putting stroke because they're putting great...how would the player perform without anchoring?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad for Every but don't like to see a guy win gagging all the way to the clubhouse with two bogeys and a lucky par on the last three holes. I know what he did earlier in the round allowed him the room to crawl home with the win but I still don't like it.

It wasn't pretty, and you could tell he was a little ticked at himself for the bogey on 18, but it didn't wipe out an otherwise great final round...imo this will go down as a tourney Scott lost moreso than Every winning it.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missing the point...it's not a matter of it being better...is an aid or not?

No one goes to an anchored style putting stroke because they're putting great...how would the player perform without anchoring?

Well - you are going to find out very soon, and this will be a non-issue.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone needs to use the same equipment. I don't think anchoring the putter is right. As for Scott missing all those putts, there is a reason guys like him go to a long putter and its because they are shitty putters and this gives them an advantage. Plus, it just looks bad.

I'm with you, and I get your point, but the word advantage doesn't really apply because everyone can/could use it. The USGA/RA have dealt with this in the past...Snead had a putting stroke banned. Just as walking is considered a fundamental part of the game on the PGAT, they consider a putting stroke to be as well and using your body as a fulcrum point (essentially what anchoring does) was never intended...they just finally caught up to it as anchored putters started winning.

The timing is screwed up especially considering how long anchored putting has been legal, but long over due.

My beef is strictly with the players on the PGAT and any tour that is computed for world ranking points. If an amateur wants to use and anchored putter I have no problem with it.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We already know...the players fighting for it was a tell all imo....2016 was more than fair.

Yep - I knew that everyone here was aware of the change - just making a comment. So - does anyone believe that any of the current players using the long putter will adjust well by that time?

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have no problem with the long putter.

You'd have to win me over with an argument for each player playing the same clubs and the same ball for me to see any difference.

I'll agree with Toby that it looks fucking silly. Beyond that, if I think a long putter's beating me, I could always use one myself.