• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are there any Josh Freeman fans left?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might be the reason he's in the drug program. They don't just arbitrarily put a guy in those programs for no reason. Let's not be naïve about this.

I'm not being naïve about anything, I'm sure that is the reason why he is in the program which further makes me thing that its bogus. He hasn't really done anything wrong at all, he was pissed off about a coach who never liked him to begin with, benching him. He hasn't done anything crazy in public, he hasn't done any illegal drugs and he hasn't broken the law. This is completely bogus and spiteful behavior from a terrible franchise.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not being naïve about anything, I'm sure that is the reason why he is in the program which further makes me thing that its bogus. He hasn't really done anything wrong at all, he was pissed off about a coach who never liked him to begin with, benching him. He hasn't done anything crazy in public, he hasn't done any illegal drugs and he hasn't broken the law. This is completely bogus and spiteful behavior from a terrible franchise.

there must be stuff going on behind the scenes we dont know about

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Ok, you may be right about this. I guess there's no way to be sure. But I wouldn't risk it if I were Baalke. He's not good enough for the risk. He doesn't pass the smell test for me.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, you may be right about this. I guess there's no way to be sure. But I wouldn't risk it if I were Baalke. He's not good enough for the risk. He doesn't pass the smell test for me.

This is all a moot point since he will be a starter next season for a different team.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This is all a moot point since he will be a starter next season for a different team.

Let's see... Great receivers, great RB, sucktastic performance with those players, stage 1 drug program, demanding a trade when he was benched for poor play.

Yeah, I think teams will be beating down his agent's door to make him the face of the franchise.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see... Great receivers, great RB, sucktastic performance with those players, stage 1 drug program, demanding a trade when he was benched for poor play.

Yeah, I think teams will be beating down his agent's door to make him the face of the franchise.

All your opinions. throwing for over 4,000 yards isn't "sucktastic" not matter what way you try to swing it. My opinion is that he has had success with the Bucs in a terrible offensive system. Obviously we have differing opinions; I'm not changing mine and I'm sure you aren't changing yours so lets wait and see what happens.

I'm so confident that he'll be a starter that I'll say this; if he's not signed by a team where he could potentially be a starter then I will sit out the month leading up to the draft and the draft itself.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Martin is a great RB? Is it Freeman's fault he's having a sucktastic performance this year too?

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I still think Freeman has alot left in the tank. He's only 25. He really needs to be in the right situation(wouldn't Philly be ideal?). I don't think any team should trade for him. For 8 mil at this point in the season it just doesn't make too much sense to me. Better to save the pick and try to sign him next year. Although if I'm the Vikings or Texans I think about it.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y! SPORTS

Josh Freeman situation somehow gets worse; QB fires back after report he’s in NFL drug program

Frank Schwab
Frank Schwab 20 hours ago Shutdown Corner

View gallery
(Getty Images)

There was a story on Monday that Tampa Bay quarterback Josh Freeman is in stage one of the league's substance-abuse program.

And with that leaked news, the Buccaneers-Freeman relationship really goes off the rails. There's a small, small chance that it was someone close to Freeman who chose to leak that news as the player faces an uncertain future after being benched. ESPN cited "league and player sources" in the report.

No matter if Freeman skipped meetings last week after being benched, as was reported, or missed a team photo or anything else that has been said about him, that news being leaked is a major breach of his privacy rights. Someone broke common decency and etiquette to reveal that news. This goes well beyond the team banishing him to a suite for Sunday's game. Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano said it was a mutual decision, but Freeman's agent told the Tampa Bay Times that Schiano was lying.

[Related: Josh Freeman banished to suite to watch Tampa’s loss to Arizona]

Freeman was understandably upset to see his status in the drug program became public, and that came through loud and clear through a statement he released to Pro Football Talk through his agents.

Here's Freeman's statement, which PFT had first:

"Let me be very clear. I have NEVER tested positive for any illegal drugs or related substances. Further, I have agreed to take, and have PASSED 46 NFL-regulated drug tests over the last year and a half.

Since the confidentiality of my medical status has been publicly violated, I am choosing to address this matter so that grossly erroneous assumptions about me do not persist. Like millions of Americans, I have ADHD and I have been prescribed and permitted to take medication to treat this condition for the entirety of my NFL career. Well over a year ago, I took a different medication for the same condition (Ritalin rather than Adderall) , and to assure everyone that the error was a one-time mistake, I agreed to be voluntarily tested in the “NFL Program." Since that time, I have taken and passed all 46 drug tests I’ve been given, which test for every drug and banned substance imaginable. I agreed to allow such testing to be done at my workplace (team facility) because I spend all of my time there and I have nothing whatsoever to hide or be embarrassed about.

Unfortunately, it appears that some people who may have noticed the testing at my workplace have made hurtful and incorrect assumptions and chosen to disseminate inaccurate and very disturbing information. It is a shame that when times have gotten tough, people have chosen to attack the character of others, rather than supporting each other. I remain dedicated and focused to being the best quarterback I can be and to help a team win a championship."

This situation keeps deteriorating. Just when you thought that Freeman not being allowed on the sideline Sunday and the bickering that followed marked the low point, the childish backbiting got much, much worse on Monday.

[Watch: Week 4 NFL highlights]

It doesn't seem the public battles can get any worse than this embarrassing low point, but we'll wait to see what both sides can come up with over the rest of the week.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
From Fox Football Daily's twitter:

"Jay Glazer just reported on FFD Josh Freeman was asked not to attend a Bucs team meeting today"

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Please trade for Josh Freeman to fill the hole left by BJ Daniels.
Backup QB problem solved.

If we sign Freeman, I would cut McCoy and re-sign BJ Daniels as the #3.

Schiano is a tool, who will not be in the NFL in 2 years. Freeman will still be in the NFL in 2 years.
Schiano's team is going nowhere but downhill.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe that Freeman AND Tampa Bay ignored what Smith AND the Niners did last year. Actually, I can believe it, but it's sad that they ignored it.

Freeman should have been the good soldier and help Glennon out (note, not Schiano per se), so that some team would see that they have the upside of Freeman as their answer and the limited risk if he's not. Smith could teach a youngster, not sure about Freeman, but Freeman could have been a good example. I would not ask Freeman to volunteer to be a bridge QB, just like I wouldn't ask any young QB to do so, regardless of what the path ahead is. But it seems like Freeman could both fight for the franchise job elsewhere while starting and being a good example. Instead, he's doing private interviews, demanding to be released, and sending out written statements (though I do think that the drug-abuse one had to be clarified).

Tampa Bucaneers could have handled it the way the Niners did. Now, the Niners had an easier job in one sense - that they could go back to Smith if they wanted to - Smith was playing well, his injury wasn't season ending, and Smith did not put them in a challenged position (Freeman makes it an I-told-you-so moment if they went back to him, Smith didn't). The Niners were able to boost both QBs up by telling the truth in one sense (that Smith was capable) - Tampa Bay can't say that because Freeman didn't play well and they couldn't say Glennon was because he hadn't played - that concussion gave Kaepernick some time to show it, Glennon didn't have time to show it except in practice. The Niners rewarded Smith and looked good in the end by trading him for good compensation to a team where Smith could succeed.

Would anybody be surprised if they traded Freeman either to a Jag team or one with an established QB? Trade him to where he has to be on the bench. I sadly believe that Tampa is so petty that they would turn down a 6th rounder by Minnesota for a 7th from Jacksonville or Denver just to screw over Freeman. Tampa has, with the help of Freeman, ruined their chances of getting something good trade wise anyway, I suppose. Freeman is lucky that this is his last year - had he had 2-4 more years, Tampa could trade him to QB purgatory until he's too old and not showing (Smith was 28 but had recently played well).

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Schiano rushed the Giants in victory formation, I wasn't so upset about that, but it did tell me that they weren't a team to trust to handle things well. Just gut instinct.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Twitter:

.@gregcosell on @Midday180 on Freeman: Awful lower body mechanics, bad decision-maker. If released, can't see anyone signing him to start.

11:38 AM - 2 Oct 2013

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canadian league might pick him up.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twitter:

.@gregcosell on @Midday180 on Freeman: Awful lower body mechanics, bad decision-maker. If released, can't see anyone signing him to start.

11:38 AM - 2 Oct 2013

One person saying that doesn't make it so, I've seen several reports that say the Vikings could be eyeing Freeman as a starter for next season.

Again I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Are you willing to sit the draft and the month leading up to the draft out if a team signs him where he might have a chance to start? I'm willing to make that deal.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Are you willing to sit the draft and the month leading up to the draft out if a team signs him where he might have a chance to start? I'm willing to make that deal.

Why not make it something like you change your name to Budod if he isn't starting on Game 1 and NinerSickness turns his name into MinerIllness (Minor Illness). I'll let someone else come up with something more funny. The draft is too big. AMd the bet should be off if the injury that prevents him from starting is during preseason when not in a QB competition or injury is non-football related that happened while the presumed/named starter.

The "being on a team where he could start" is too loose in my mind. That, to me, is just betting on whether Freeman has an agent who won't tell him to back up Rivers like some people suggested Alex do after 2010 because of Norv Turner and being a "great backup").

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do teams have a way to make a deal with a player saying that they will waive a QB if he takes lesser pay that is owed to him. Usually restructuring is to stay with the team, not leave. Could they make the 6.2 million owed into 3.1 or a nominal amount, saying (pettily) that we'll keep you for the year for 6.2 or release you for X amount or trade if we get a good offer? They might actually keep him with no intent to play him, even with a Glennon or other backup injury (or maybe I distrust Tampa Bay as much as Freeman does?). Or is there a rule against that (like a good faith requirement but not)?

If they did, it would be worded like a restructure (1 million for 2013 and unguaranteed 5.2 million next year) and then, then cut him now.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tampa has some good players on both sides and rb and wr but not enough passing and to many TOs.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Josh Freeman - QB - Free Agent

Bucs released QB Josh Freeman.

The Bucs predictably couldn't find a trade partner after napalming what little value their former starting quarterback had. Freeman has roughly $6.25 million remaining on his 2013 salary, which the Bucs must pay in full. Freeman's play had sunk to extreme lows before his benching — a 45.7 completion percentage, 6.07 YPA, 59.3 QB rating — but he's shown enough throughout his inconsistent career to earn a second chance in relatively short order, likely some time over the next 72 hours. Aside from the usual suspects like Jacksonville and Cleveland — who may not even want to try to upgrade at quarterback as they jockey for draft position — Minnesota, Tennessee, Oakland and the Jets are all possible landing spots. Cincinnati and Arizona could be dark-horse candidates. Wherever Freeman lands, he's highly unlikely to be installed as the immediate starter.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 3 - 2:16 PM