• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Browns assisting Watson to

Are the Browns assisting Watson to avoid financial punishment in the event he gets suspended in 2022

• Total voters

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office
Fake news~dtgold

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The owners agreed to the salary and cap accounting structures in the CBA. They agreed to the disciplinary procedures. It's a bit late now to NOT like it when an owner uses the rules to his own advantage. Watson has a very low base salary in 2022. He'll have a very low base salary next season as well because the Browns will convert most of his 2023 $46M base salary to another signing bonus. If the NFL hits Watson with a large fine it will be a unique response that will open up the NFL to a legal claim for harassment or discrimination. All they can do is suspend him.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The owners agreed to the salary and cap accounting structures in the CBA. They agreed to the disciplinary procedures. It's a bit late now to NOT like it when an owner uses the rules to his own advantage. Watson has a very low base salary in 2022. He'll have a very low base salary next season as well because the Browns will convert most of his 2023 $46M base salary to another signing bonus. If the NFL hits Watson with a large fine it will be a unique response that will open up the NFL to a legal claim for harassment or discrimination. All they can do is suspend him.
That's all well and good, but this still supports @HaroldSeattle claim that the Browns were out to help DW with the contract structure.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no you didnt you lie.
The only one that was correct this whole time was DTgold because he said everything under the sun.

You are a liar he told me.
You are a liar that lies to other liars..........so ok. I think that means you knew it. :thumb:
Not sure this constitutes a lie....just foolish. Unless you also think the Browns expect ward, Garrett, and anyone else signed to large deals to be suspended since they all get the same small first year base in their deals.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all well and good, but this still supports @HaroldSeattle claim that the Browns were out to help DW with the contract structure.
It doesn't.....since they gave the same base to Garrett, Ward and others.

If you want to cry about the browns in this (in helping Watson) please mention something worth crying about (hint - it's not the low base).

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't.....since they gave the same base to Garrett, Ward and others.

If you want to cry about the browns in this (in helping Watson) please mention something worth crying about (hint - it's not the low base).
Apparently 31 owners disagree with you.

So either you're wrong or you're lying. You choose.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently 31 owners disagree with you.

So either you're wrong or you're lying. You choose.
You mean the other owners who often do the same with their new big contracts in the 1st year?

If they are crying I'll choose that they are lying. Weird no direct quote from an actual owner about their angst.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone mad at the Bucs for paying the same base to Brady, Evans, Barrett and others? are they among the teams mad at the Browns?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I continue to think that too many continue to try and correlate this process with other processes before this that are "similar", and yet this is clearly a new precedent.

We aren't talking 1-2 victims/complaints. We are talking 24-26 civil suits. We are talking 66+ women over a 17 month span. We are talking about a team that not only guaranteed his entire contract, but then set it up in a manner that "IF" he were to be suspended, the monetary damage would be absolutely minimal...

I think we could absolutely see a ruling anywhere from 12-17 games, and a fine. Again, the NFLPA can kick and scream, but the NFL has followed the CBA to the letter. The only thing another judge would rule on is if the NFL broke the CBA by not following the process properly. They aren't likely to touch the suspension amount, or any potential fine amount, with a 10ft pole.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I continue to think that too many continue to try and correlate this process with other processes before this that are "similar", and yet this is clearly a new precedent.

We aren't talking 1-2 victims/complaints. We are talking 24-26 civil suits. We are talking 66+ women over a 17 month span. We are talking about a team that not only guaranteed his entire contract, but then set it up in a manner that "IF" he were to be suspended, the monetary damage would be absolutely minimal...

I think we could absolutely see a ruling anywhere from 12-17 games, and a fine. Again, the NFLPA can kick and scream, but the NFL has followed the CBA to the letter. The only thing another judge would rule on is if the NFL broke the CBA by not following the process properly. They aren't likely to touch the suspension amount, or any potential fine amount, with a 10ft pole.
But but but, Snyder, Kraft and Jones.....

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure they'll go to court and less sure they'd win but what part of the CBA was broken when NFL teams would not sign Kaepernick to a contract?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns and Watson came up with a contract that is, and will be, as financially suspension negating as they could make it. I don't blame them. The contract is within the rules. I'm not surprised that everyone else doesn't like it. However, the NFL not liking it doesn't enable them to go outside the current rules, back-date future rules to deal with this, or break agreements with the NFLPA.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I may not be recalling this correctly, but didn't the NFLPA's threat to countersue claim that the NFL didn't follow the process properly?

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns and Watson came up with a contract that is, and will be, as financially suspension negating as they could make it. I don't blame them. The contract is within the rules. I'm not surprised that everyone else doesn't like it. However, the NFL not liking it doesn't enable them to go outside the current rules, back-date future rules to deal with this, or break agreements with the NFLPA.
I don't think anyone said it was against the rules, only that it greatly protected DW incase of suspension.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may not be recalling this correctly, but didn't the NFLPA's threat to countersue claim that the NFL didn't follow the process properly?
Not sure - but if it is, I don't see where they have a case.

NFL submitted whatever it was against Watson - independent/agreed upon arbiter ruled, NFL used its right to appeal - RG appointed the person who will rule over their appeal - all of this falls within their scope of ability per the CBA.

The only "case" the NFLPA has is that no one has ever been suspended/fined in the way the NFL is looking to do with Watson - and that is true. However, no one has done what Watson has been accused of, either. In the end - the ruling that will come down will likely stand no matter what. As I've said, I don't think any judge is going to touch the actual outcome of this process, but rule on whether the process was followed correctly by the NFL - and to this point, by all accounts, it has been.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hadn't heard that. Though I guess "not follow correctly" could mean they didn't uphold the spirit of the agreement?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...I think we could absolutely see a ruling anywhere from 12-17 games, and a fine. Again, the NFLPA can kick and scream, but the NFL has followed the CBA to the letter. The only thing another judge would rule on is if the NFL broke the CBA by not following the process properly. They aren't likely to touch the suspension amount, or any potential fine amount, with a 10ft pole.
I can't find anything in the CBA that allows the NFL to discipline a multi-millionaire veteran QB differently to a broke-dikk UDFA rookie. Same length of time for suspensions and same amount of money in fines.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me put this another way. There's nothing to stop the Browns and Watson from mutually agreeing to tear up the current contract. They could replace it with a 2 year minimum wage deal. They could also have a nod and a wink agreement to reinstate the $230M after Watson has served his punishment. There's no NFL entitlement to claw money back from Watson's future NFL earnings, nor can they claw back money Watson earned in the NFL before this case came about. They can suspend him. That's about it.