• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AP: There are Too Many White Guys in the NHL

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the Winter Olympic games a few years ago, i was talking with our lone Asian player on our fun Tuesday Night Hockey group. He told me he was approached about playing on the Japanese team that year because he is of Japanese origin. Never mind that he’s as American as any of us, or that he was over 50 years old, or that he’s got a huge scar across his chest from open heart surgery. They were desperate.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the Winter Olympic games a few years ago, i was talking with our lone Asian player on our fun Tuesday Night Hockey group. He told me he was approached about playing on the Japanese team that year because he is of Japanese origin. Never mind that he’s as American as any of us, or that he was over 50 years old, or that he’s got a huge scar across his chest from open heart surgery. They were desperate.

Reminds me of Steve Tsujiura who played in the early 80's for the Medicine Hat Tigers (Canadian born of Japanese ancestry) who was drafted by the Flyers but never managed to play a NHL game (had some fine seasons for the Maine Mariners in addition to being a great player for the Tigers). He did play for Japan at the 1998 Nagano Olympics.

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me of Steve Tsujiura who played in the early 80's for the Medicine Hat Tigers (Canadian born of Japanese ancestry) who was drafted by the Flyers but never managed to play a NHL game (had some fine seasons for the Maine Mariners in addition to being a great player for the Tigers). He did play for Japan at the 1998 Nagano Olympics.
It's a shame Sabres Japanese draft pick Taro Tsujimoto never got to play.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course how can we forget Yutaka Fukufuji...

images

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine wasting money to even have a position like Kim Davis’s even exist

You could donate to a “get more kids playing hockey” charity and get more far more value out of that money
Why would you have a problem with someone in the league office being in charge of social impact and growth initiatives? I think a lot of good could be done from that position and possibly get more focus on the game and perhaps even grow it.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would you have a problem with someone in the league office being in charge of social impact and growth initiatives? I think a lot of good could be done from that position and possibly get more focus on the game and perhaps even grow it.
The NHL and the Blue Jackets work very closely with the program I coach with. We have 50+ Special needs hockey players (including blind hockey), 22 Ohio Warriors sled hockey players almost every one a wounded veteran and close to 2000 youth hockey players, none of which have to pay fees or for gear if they cannot.

I have 18 goalies in my goalie program, ages 7-18. 7 Are not white. Our U19 girls team has 22 skaters, 9 are not white. Our JV team has 23 skaters. 7 are not white. And my program has put 1 player of color in D1 NCAA, 2 currently playing prep school hockey, 3 more in AAA and 4 playing junior. We are one of 32 programs. I have been in contact with the same programs in DC, Boston, Detroit and Philadelphia and they have similar stories.

People like her make a difference.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saying this guy was born in Brunei. :D

1666214149657.jpeg

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People like her make a difference.
Sunday River had a handicapped skier program. It was a big thing in New England. Basically, a handicapped skier just has to show up and gets expert coaching, all equipment and lift tickets, all free. The big fundraiser is the Firemen’s Weekend, where they have chili cookoffs and a hilarious race where firefighters dressed in full firefighting gear race down a slalom course, with a team of four carrying a firehose.

There’s no external support from Big Skiing. But, just support from the local skiers (who actually do this EVERY weekend) gets the job done. Yeah, the mountain is fully on board too.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think any program that can increase inclusivity in hockey is good and Im not sure how anyone could have a problem with that as you say … and yah you kinda need someone with the knowledge of the scope of the issues at hand to be the decision maker for a program like that :noidea:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have 18 goalies in my goalie program, ages 7-18. 7 Are not white. Our U19 girls team has 22 skaters, 9 are not white. Our JV team has 23 skaters. 7 are not white. And my program has put 1 player of color in D1 NCAA, 2 currently playing prep school hockey, 3 more in AAA and 4 playing junior. We are one of 32 programs. I have been in contact with the same programs in DC, Boston, Detroit and Philadelphia and they have similar stories.

8 of 18 players on my sons u15 rep team are poc. Me thinks (no … me knows! lol) minor hockey associations, especially in urban/suburban areas surrounding nhl teams are a tad more diverse than the over 55 leagues. And yah those future nhlers are coming from the minor hockey associations* not the old timers leagues lol

* academy teams not associations lol