• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thom Brennaman in some hot water

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds broadcaster Thom Brennaman suspended for anti-gay slur

Damn.... This dude has been sitting in front of a microphone his whole life. How does he fuck up so bad?

I think we should give him a pass. He's clearly not homophobic - His love of Tim Tebow and desire to be with him is apparent to everyone that watched that BCS championship game years ago.

Big Lonnie

Yeah, I’m THAT guy.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Kansas City really one of the fag capitals of the world??

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I've never been one for firing a guy over 1 mistake, but then again, some mistakes you just don't recover from.

At a minimum, the Reds need to keep him off the air for the season and then re-evaluate. He'll need to make some kind of amend/gesture to put his money where his mouth is in terms of reform/being forgiven.

It's unfortunate that it was caught on air - but if we are being honest with ourselves, it's nothing that we all couldn't relate to if our inside jokes, improper jokes, improper language were ever heard out loud by someone, or people.

Personally, I think his time with the Reds is done, and I think he'll be off national air for awhile, but I don't think it should preclude him from being able to return at some point down the road. Hell, sports is FILLED with guys who have lied, cheated, do drugs, say bad things, beat women, kill people (looking at you Ray Lewis) and yet they always find a way to land on a team or get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 100th chance.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking for a good time?

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, but a lot of cults do start in KC due to their central geography in the USA

at least he didn't offend race, right?

I think he's taking too much attention away from the racial tension and the election, just put him in jail and throw away the key. he'll learn to like Bubba eventually.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I've never been one for firing a guy over 1 mistake, but then again, some mistakes you just don't recover from.

At a minimum, the Reds need to keep him off the air for the season and then re-evaluate. He'll need to make some kind of amend/gesture to put his money where his mouth is in terms of reform/being forgiven.

It's unfortunate that it was caught on air - but if we are being honest with ourselves, it's nothing that we all couldn't relate to if our inside jokes, improper jokes, improper language were ever heard out loud by someone, or people.

Personally, I think his time with the Reds is done, and I think he'll be off national air for awhile, but I don't think it should preclude him from being able to return at some point down the road. Hell, sports is FILLED with guys who have lied, cheated, do drugs, say bad things, beat women, kill people (looking at you Ray Lewis) and yet they always find a way to land on a team or get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 100th chance.

Yeah.... It's hard to get all moralistic about it and start pointing fingers at him.... Nobody knows the context or the inside jokes that could have gone on over a long period of time. And I don't think it necessarily reflects on his true feelings or his tolerance or whatever..... What surprises me is that it happened to him. I mean, the guy was born to be an announcer. You'd sort of expect it from an ex-jock that takes over after his playing career. Just seems like a mistake that a pro would never make.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Cincy Grad.

I would consider my self a very open person. As being a man of faith myself, lol (to mock Thom a little), I do think I like to try and be kind to everyone I am in contact with, for some reason message boards bring out the worst in me. Not sure why that is. I have no issue with any race, creed , sexual orientation, whatever you want to do, so be it. As long as you are not infringing on my rights, you do your thing as well. Because in the end, we still answer to God, and the Bible outlines what God expects, and because we as a human race have adapted and changed and become more tolerable of certain things, God has not, and in the end, we will answer to him. It is not my place to sit here and judge. As long as a person is law abiding and kind to others, I will like them. Those are my two sticking points on whether I am going to like you and not be judgemental. If you are a criminal or an asshole, you are open game in my opinion.

I think everyone says things they regret. This one slur by Thom was bad, really bad, but should a person be condemned by one moment of regret? Should he be punished by the network and his employer, I do think so. But should it be as extreme as it is becoming? I don't think so. I think everyone in corporate America over reacts because of the almighty dollar. While Fox Sports was probably embarrassed, and upset, I doubt 25 years ago he would have done more than a letter of apology, with some kind of fine or small suspension for so many days.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it was just a public service announcement for gay people so they knew where to go on vacation. Get some great sex and BBQ. haha

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he'll get a repuglican AM radio show. reach hundreds in a single week

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Cincy Grad.

I would consider my self a very open person. As being a man of faith myself, lol (to mock Thom a little), I do think I like to try and be kind to everyone I am in contact with, for some reason message boards bring out the worst in me. Not sure why that is. I have no issue with any race, creed , sexual orientation, whatever you want to do, so be it. As long as you are not infringing on my rights, you do your thing as well. Because in the end, we still answer to God, and the Bible outlines what God expects, and because we as a human race have adapted and changed and become more tolerable of certain things, God has not, and in the end, we will answer to him. It is not my place to sit here and judge. As long as a person is law abiding and kind to others, I will like them. Those are my two sticking points on whether I am going to like you and not be judgemental. If you are a criminal or an asshole, you are open game in my opinion.

I think everyone says things they regret. This one slur by Thom was bad, really bad, but should a person be condemned by one moment of regret? Should he be punished by the network and his employer, I do think so. But should it be as extreme as it is becoming? I don't think so. I think everyone in corporate America over reacts because of the almighty dollar. While Fox Sports was probably embarrassed, and upset, I doubt 25 years ago he would have done more than a letter of apology, with some kind of fine or small suspension for so many days.

This is along my lines as well. For example, if I don't believe in gay marriage from a religious viewpoint - I can still accept gay marriage from a civil standpoint. I can hang out with, buy a beer for, go to dinner -etc..etc...I have no issues. Just because my religious views don't align doesn't mean I have to be an asshole to that person. Quite the contrary. In the end, it is not my job to judge people (thank goodness) and I'd rather treat them right, even if we disagree, than treat them wrong. Because in the end that puts me in the wrong no matter what.

As for Thom - he'll likely lose his job. He probably should. I hope with time, reflection, and some kind of restitution (counseling, donations, charity work, etc...) he can show he's changed and get another shot. Far be it from me to not forgive someone who has asked for forgiveness. It doesn't mean we have to forget what they did, but at some point you have to let it go - or it will eat at your soul. There's no good in being bitter and holding onto things. If he said he's sorry - then I accept it and I'll move on. His actions from this point forward will show if he is truly sorry and makes the changes needed. If so, then he should get another chance at some point (IMO). If not - then he won't.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should claim to identity as a famous rapper. Then he’d get a record deal for saying words like that instead of being ridiculed.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should claim to identity as a famous rapper. Then he’d get a record deal for saying words like that instead of being ridiculed.

I was talking to my friends about this same thing the other day. I feel it is not right to use the "N" word, as it shouldn't be. But let's take the feeling police policies to the next level, certain words shouldn't be used by anyone, no matter what culture you come from.

So remove all rap that has the word in it, remove royalties from songs that has the word in it, burn those songs and no longer allow them to be sold, destroy them. If they start claiming 1st amendment rights, then we need to just state, that this is not a country with 1st amendment rights anyone if language is used to degrade, or foster hate and oppression.

So if there is music like that, ban it. If you are caught saying it in public, you will be fined.

How'd I do? Sound like a good idea?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking to my friends about this same thing the other day. I feel it is not right to use the "N" word, as it shouldn't be. But let's take the feeling police policies to the next level, certain words shouldn't be used by anyone, no matter what culture you come from.

So remove all rap that has the word in it, remove royalties from songs that has the word in it, burn those songs and no longer allow them to be sold, destroy them. If they start claiming 1st amendment rights, then we need to just state, that this is not a country with 1st amendment rights anyone if language is used to degrade, or foster hate and oppression.

So if there is music like that, ban it. If you are caught saying it in public, you will be fined.

How'd I do? Sound like a good idea?

I’m not a big fan of cancelling and banning things but it’s hard to take anything BLM says seriously while the “N” word is used in every song on the radio. I think if the black community really cared about themselves they’d start with this. People should be ashamed and embarrassed to be heard using that word - everybody - not just white people.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not a big fan of cancelling and banning things but it’s hard to take anything BLM says seriously while the “N” word is used in every song on the radio. I think if the black community really cared about themselves they’d start with this. People should be ashamed and embarrassed to be heard using that word - everybody - not just white people.

I was trying to lay it on thick here so you could feel my contempt and sarcasm. I think you mostly got it.

Because I 100% agree with you.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was trying to lay it on thick here so you could feel my contempt and sarcasm. I think you mostly got it.

Because I 100% agree with you.

I disagree..... If you're buddy says, "Hey Crash, you asshole, grab me a beer on the way back to your seats" you probably give it a good chuckle. If some guy that doesn't know you, can't stand you, and is blaming you for crap you don't like in society says, "Hey asshole!" There might be a problem that you have to deal with.

Words matter, but they aren't everything.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree..... If you're buddy says, "Hey Crash, you asshole, grab me a beer on the way back to your seats" you probably give it a good chuckle. If some guy that doesn't know you, can't stand you, and is blaming you for crap you don't like in society says, "Hey asshole!" There might be a problem that you have to deal with.

Words matter, but they aren't everything.
True, but anyone and everyone can be an asshole. The word Thom used, and other words, are specifically designed to be vulgar and abusive to a very special set of people. So, while I agree with your overall point, I'm not sure that example works.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but anyone and everyone can be an asshole. The word Thom used, and other words, are specifically designed to be vulgar and abusive to a very special set of people. So, while I agree with your overall point, I'm not sure that example works.

My point was to argue that people calling each other particular names doesn't make that name right in any context. The conversation was about the use of the N word in rap, etc... And whether that makes it somehow okay to use it always or never okay to use it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was to argue that people calling each other particular names doesn't make that name right in any context. The conversation was about the use of the N word in rap, etc... And whether that makes it somehow okay to use it always or never okay to use it.
Gotcha - agreed. If a word is abusive/vulgar then you shouldn't be able to use it - period. It doesn't make it ok for a gay person to call another gay person (or anyone else) a f*g. It isn't right for rappers/athletes or black people to use the N word and then turn around and cry racism if someone else uses it.

Either it can be used or it can't. There is no gray area here, IMO.