• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone think that Chip Kelly ...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip Kelly will coach the Eagles to a 19-0 Season and bring the City of Brotherly Love the Lombardi.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You didn't lead the league in turnovers by a wide margin. Philly had 36, Tampa Bay 33 and the Colts had 31. More importantly, give away / take away differential is a better indicator for you argument and Philly wasn't the worst in the league there. They weren't great (26th) but not the worst.

Having the defense on the field that frequently will hurt the team at the end of games and late in the season. That's why you went 5-5 over the last 10 games including losing 3 of your last 4.

IIRC that stat was greatly skewed by a few games in which the Eagles got a lot of TO's and recovered quite a few fumbles. O yeah, and of course the 4 returns of INT's/Fumbles by the Eagles are also included in that number. Same way how the total sack number was skewed by two great games (Giants and Carolina).

The turnovers definitely played a role. And many of them were not even good plays by the defense, but stupid plays by the offense (most notably Foles).

BTW, the year before with an even worse TOP ratio, IIRC, the Eagles were 4-1 over the last 5 games, with arguably a more difficult schedule. The Eagles 5-5 over the last 10 games because the offense still stunk most of the time, and opponents finally started to exploit one of the worst secondaries in league history. Hell, the way the Eagles offense played, they were forced to come back against the Jaguars (week 1 - offense pretty much shut out), should have lost to Indianapolis, lost to San Fransisco (and SF should have blown the Eagles out, the offense was that bad), and they cost us the Cardinals game as well.

By the more advanced metrics the Eagles defense was average or above average. If they had been so exposed by the offense, they would not rank that high, but much lower. The Eagles defense had been carrying the offense all season long, and in the end that finally gave out.

Again, being behind in TOP because of 3-and-outs of the offense or turnovers is a problem. Yet being behind in TOP while the offense consistently puts up points is a whole different matter (and it was the former that happened consistently).

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC that stat was greatly skewed by a few games in which the Eagles got a lot of TO's and recovered quite a few fumbles. O yeah, and of course the 4 returns of INT's/Fumbles by the Eagles are also included in that number. Same way how the total sack number was skewed by two great games (Giants and Carolina).

The turnovers definitely played a role. And many of them were not even good plays by the defense, but stupid plays by the offense (most notably Foles).

BTW, the year before with an even worse TOP ratio, IIRC, the Eagles were 4-1 over the last 5 games, with arguably a more difficult schedule. The Eagles 5-5 over the last 10 games because the offense still stunk most of the time, and opponents finally started to exploit one of the worst secondaries in league history. Hell, the way the Eagles offense played, they were forced to come back against the Jaguars (week 1 - offense pretty much shut out), should have lost to Indianapolis, lost to San Fransisco (and SF should have blown the Eagles out, the offense was that bad), and they cost us the Cardinals game as well.

By the more advanced metrics the Eagles defense was average or above average. If they had been so exposed by the offense, they would not rank that high, but much lower. The Eagles defense had been carrying the offense all season long, and in the end that finally gave out.

Again, being behind in TOP because of 3-and-outs of the offense or turnovers is a problem. Yet being behind in TOP while the offense consistently puts up points is a whole different matter (and it was the former that happened consistently).
Well, you obviously know the Eagles better than I do so I'm not going to contest what you stated above.

Everything is speculation at this point because Chip is still a new coach. I still don't think chips fast-break offense will stick in the pros. It's only my opinion, and only time will tell.

Regardless, as long as the Cardinals beat them, I could give shit it less about everything else.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Eagles because of the pace of play, you almost need an NBA type of adjustment.

The Eagles had 203 possessions in 2014. Most in the NFL (the average team had 179 possessions last season).

If you break it down by yards and points per possession, the Eagles offense last year was 14th in yards per drive last year and 13th in points per drive.

Last year they were an average offense that played fast. In 2013 they were a much better offense even though they scored 30 points less over the course of the season.

What we see in 2015 is going to be interesting. I just don't see how they replicate 2013 with their OL in flux having had to replace both OG's and no WR as good as Maclin or Jackson on the roster.

That's an excellent point.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny how scared Dallas fans are of Chip.

You think the put downs and how little anyone cares about him is "scared"? What exactly has Chip done, on any level, to scare opponents?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think the put downs and how little anyone cares about him is "scared"? What exactly has Chip done, on any level, to scare opponents?

Hey now, he's won 10 games, TWICE! And made the playoffs once. I'm pretty sure that's never happened before in NFL history.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey now, he's won 10 games, TWICE! And made the playoffs once. I'm pretty sure that's never happened before in NFL history.

Certainly not an historic achievement, but a clear upgrade over the 4-12 team that he inherited. Besides, the topic of this thread -- contrary to more than 100 posts -- is whether Kelly is in fact destroying the Eagles, since many observers expressed that opinion this past offseason.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny how scared Dallas fans are of Chip.
shit dude...your statement. Name who you're pointing that finger at and how the hell you came to that conclusion.

Me? I see the same shit I saw last year from the philly faithful. Many of you proud peacocks were running around with your hair on fire over the McCoy trade. Now...two preseason games in it's "In Chip We Trust". I actually see it differently reading this board...eagle fans want to be relevant and it's September. Fly Eagles Fly

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly not an historic achievement, but a clear upgrade over the 4-12 team that he inherited. Besides, the topic of this thread -- contrary to more than 100 posts -- is whether Kelly is in fact destroying the Eagles, since many observers expressed that opinion this past offseason.
I don't think he's destroying them, but I don't think he's made them any better this offseason. I thought the comparison to Mike D'Antoni earlier in this thread was really good. Kelly's system seems like it would be great for beating the crap out of poor teams, but will struggle against good defenses and will expose his own defense to wearing down. 9-11 win seasons and a loss in the divisional round seems like about the ceiling to me.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
better asked 50/60% through the season than half way through camp. Wasn't the story all about the weekly grind under chip? The completely different weekly schedule? Players turn on a dime if the team ain't winning in those situations. Let's get a little down the road and see. I think he's all-in this season with a great college gig as a fall back plan. Time will tale.

Macho Grande

Would Sacrifice You In An Emergency
The Magumba Bar in Drambuie, off the Barbary Coast
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,889.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No doubt the same people who said he'd be long gone by now after NFL defenses proved that his "gimmick college offense" would never work against the big boys. He keeps proving all the armchair experts wrong, and they're starting to get mighty pissed about it. :pound:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt the same people who said he'd be long gone by now after NFL defenses proved that his "gimmick college offense" would never work against the big boys. He keeps proving all the armchair experts wrong, and they're starting to get mighty pissed about it. View attachment 23286
well...I suppose that could be one version.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt the same people who said he'd be long gone by now after NFL defenses proved that his "gimmick college offense" would never work against the big boys. He keeps proving all the armchair experts wrong, and they're starting to get mighty pissed about it. :pound:

Again, I don't remember anyone saying he wouldn't be given 3 years. Well, this is year 3. He has his players. Time to put up or shut up, Chip.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
better asked 50/60% through the season than half way through camp. Wasn't the story all about the weekly grind under chip? The completely different weekly schedule? Players turn on a dime if the team ain't winning in those situations. Let's get a little down the road and see. I think he's all-in this season with a great college gig as a fall back plan. Time will tale.

LOL Funny that you criticize this topic as premature, yet you clearly seem to look ahead.

The question is really quite simple: have Kelly's offseason moves torn apart the Eagles?

Please forgive me if I should have waited until Week 8 for asking!

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Funny that you criticize this topic as premature, yet you clearly seem to look ahead.

The question is really quite simple: have Kelly's offseason moves torn apart the Eagles?

don't go away mad....I can avoid the topic, it was you that felt the need to validate it.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Torn apart? That sounds like a locker room issue, so who knows. I'd say no he hasn't lost the locker room. However, I think he undersold a lot of talent and replaced it with questionable talent. I know I know..."his" guys for "his" system. Well, there are plenty of doubters to see if it works. Will be a telling season.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't go away mad....I can avoid the topic, it was you that felt the need to validate it.

Not following that at all,since I'm not at all mad. I do, however, disagree with the thought that you and others have expressed that Kelly is somehow looking to get back to college coaching. Rather, I think he wants to build something in Philly, and I'm not at all convinced that he is incapable of doing so.