• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone have Sling Tv?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im going to give the Playstation Vue a try. I like the DVR feature.

It's a little tricky to get the hang of. The thing that annoys me is that until it drops into "on demand" status in your DVR you can't fast forward.
The categories a show can be are : Live, Catchup, On Demand/DVR

I haven't figured out when something goes from catch up to on demand. On Demand/DVR is great because you can pause, FF, rewind. Catchup only lets you go back but can't skip back forward. Annoying because it seems to take a few hours to go to DVR status. Other than that it is great. I think it keeps anything that you tag as "my show" for 28 days. However, it will grab literally every new instance of that show. I set How Its Made as one of my shows and noticed the other day I have about 200 episodes because Sunday they marathon that thing.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a little tricky to get the hang of. The thing that annoys me is that until it drops into "on demand" status in your DVR you can't fast forward.

I haven't figured out when something goes from catch up to on demand. On Demand/DVR is great because you can pause, FF, rewind. Catchup only lets you go back but can't skip back forward. Annoying because it seems to take a few hours to go to DVR status. Other than that it is great. I think it keeps anything that you tag as "my show" for 28 days. However, it will grab literally every new instance of that show. I set How Its Made as one of my shows and noticed the other day I have about 200 episodes because Sunday they marathon that thing.
Im going to use it on the Amazon Fire TV box. I am not sure yet how the interface compares to a Playstation.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had Sling Tv. The orange package with the extra sports package. I just switch to PS Vue for the following reasons.

1) Can stream to multiple devices at the same time for ALL channels. Currently only the channels in the Blue package for sling can be streamed to multiple devices. One drawback is the PS Vue will only limit to streaming from one location.

2) Way better interface. The Sling TV app is not that great, but PS Vue is better. Also, the app would stop working randomly.

3) Quality. The video quality is way fucking better. Sling went in and out of quality and many times the stream would drop or stop.

4) Customer service. Sling is notorious for bad customer service.

5) I get way more channels.

6) Two words. Live rewind

7) More on demand options

Those are my two cents.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had Sling Tv. The orange package with the extra sports package. I just switch to PS Vue for the following reasons.

1) Can stream to multiple devices at the same time for ALL channels. Currently only the channels in the Blue package for sling can be streamed to multiple devices. One drawback is the PS Vue will only limit to streaming from one location.

2) Way better interface. The Sling TV app is not that great, but PS Vue is better. Also, the app would stop working randomly.

3) Quality. The video quality is way fucking better. Sling went in and out of quality and many times the stream would drop or stop.

Those are my two cents.
Thanks for the input. Once I get my antenna up Im going PS Vue and cancelling cable.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those are my two cents.

This is good info, i will probably do the 7 day free trial and if i like it much better i will just switch over. Good stuff.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is good info, i will probably do the 7 day free trial and if i like it much better i will just switch over. Good stuff.

I've had Sling not to long after it launched since it was the only thing available. When PS Vue came out I waited a little bit and tried the 7 day trial. I cancelled my Sling subscription before the first day was over.

There are only 2 drawbacks to Vue. The one I mentioned about only being able to stream from one location and the lack of support on different platforms, which has been expanded to mostly make it a none issue. I use my Roku 3 for it.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe something is on Catch up as long as the show is still streaming during it's scheduled time and then gets moved to on demand after the scheduled time or show is actually over.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had Sling not to long after it launched since it was the only thing available. When PS Vue came out I waited a little bit and tried the 7 day trial. I cancelled my Sling subscription before the first day was over.

There are only 2 drawbacks to Vue. The one I mentioned about only being able to stream from one location and the lack of support on different platforms, which has been expanded to mostly make it a none issue. I use my Roku 3 for it.

Does Vue have the same delay time as Sling, and what is the difference in the stream quality, i know Slings HD is not all that HDish looking, although it does look good. Scale of 1-10 on the difference, 1 being no difference.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Vue have the same delay time as Sling, and what is the difference in the stream quality, i know Slings HD is not all that HDish looking, although it does look good. Scale of 1-10 on the difference, 1 being no difference.

By delay time do you mean streaming delay or delay to get added to OD?

I would say the difference is at least a 7. The quality is way more crisp and a lot more reliable.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By delay time do you mean streaming delay or delay to get added to OD?

I would say the difference is at least a 7. The quality is way more crisp and a lot more reliable.

Delay from live tv, i know Sling can hold up to a minute and a half delay

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I haven't seen it that bad for Vue. I've seen up to 30 seconds, but that's most streaming applications.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the input. Once I get my antenna up Im going PS Vue and cancelling cable.

Unless you live out in the boonies, you can get an inside antenna for like $10-$20 for 25-50 mile range. I spent $20 for mine, it's boosted and has a 50 mile range. Towers are only 10 miles away, but I still like the extra because it makes things more stable.

I know a guy who has one on his roof though, and he gets even more channels - but I didn't think it was worth it because it's mostly repeats(aka 4 NBC's, ABCs etc).

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you live out in the boonies, you can get an inside antenna for like $10-$20 for 25-50 mile range. I spent $20 for mine, it's boosted and has a 50 mile range. Towers are only 10 miles away, but I still like the extra because it makes things more stable.

I know a guy who has one on his roof though, and he gets even more channels - but I didn't think it was worth it because it's mostly repeats(aka 4 NBC's, ABCs etc).

I live in the metro Detroit area, and the various broadcast towers for the local network affiliates of FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC, and CW are all located between 9 to 15 miles from my house.
Also, there are no tall buildings in my neighborhood.

So, in your opinion, should I be fine with an indoor antenna?

Also, what do you mean by boosted?

Thanks in advance!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in the metro Detroit area, and the various broadcast towers for the local network affiliates of FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC, and CW are all located between 9 to 15 miles from my house.
Also, there are no tall buildings in my neighborhood.

So, in your opinion, should I be fine with an indoor antenna?

Also, what do you mean by boosted?

Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, you should be fine.

boosted means you plug it in and it gets extra range.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im going to use it on the Amazon Fire TV box. I am not sure yet how the interface compares to a Playstation.

I'm a sucker for tech, so I have the firestick as well. I got one with Kodi on it from ebay. The layout is pretty good, a lot like the amazon app on the playstation or roku. Lots of people like it, but you still have to subscribe to shows unless you use kodi.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is quicker than the updates on my mlb app. So it must not be too much of a delay, haven't synced it with the radio though to check.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, you should be fine.

boosted means you plug it in and it gets extra range.

I got mine for this house for $40 off amazon. Just set it in the attic and it gets crystal reception. Previous people at the last house left their massive one in the attic and it too worked. Obviously not needed. Just point it in the right direction and its free HD for locals.

As for Vue, I'm currently experiencing the downside...playstation network maintenance. No telling how long it will be off.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a sucker for tech, so I have the firestick as well. I got one with Kodi on it from ebay. The layout is pretty good, a lot like the amazon app on the playstation or roku. Lots of people like it, but you still have to subscribe to shows unless you use kodi.
I like the box with the ability to use a different treble and storage. I ask use kodi. I had a ouya with kodi before they busted. I just install myself. I also use firestarter. Just a preference.