• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone familiar with these TE's?

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Each day over the next 10 days, this space will focus on one position in the NFL draft by highlighting a prospect in Rounds 2-7 who might fit for the Patriots. With so much attention placed on the first round in mock drafts, "Beyond the first round" focuses on lesser-publicized options beyond the first 32 picks.

Troy Niklas looks to be a pure tight end, with the potential to really grow into the position.
Second round: Troy Niklas (Notre Dame)
At 6-foot-6 and 270 pounds, he is a pure tight end when compared to others at the position who might be viewed more as bigger receivers. He has good size, strength and upside to develop into a solid combination tight end as he's only played the position for two years.

Third round: Marcel Jensen (Fresno State)
Some physical traits stand out -- 6-foot-6, 259 pounds with 34 7/8 arm length for a wide catch radius. Looks like he has some combination potential to be a factor in-line and split wide.

Fourth round: Trey Burton (Florida)
While much of the pre-draft buzz has centered on Texas Tech's Jace Amaro as an early-round option as a "move" tight end, the Patriots might view Burton as a better fit from a value perspective. He's undersized (6-2, 224) but his excellent 3-cone drill (7.14) and solid intangibles are among the things that caught our eye.

Fifth round: Richard Rodgers (California)
Even at 6-foot-4 and 257 pounds, he likely projects more as a "move" tight end as he played more of an inside receiver role last year. Rodgers enters the draft after his junior season, and his father Richard currently serves as Carolina's special-teams coach.

Sixth round: Crockett Gillmore (Colorado State)
At 6-foot-5 7/8 and 260 pounds, Gillmore has NFL-type size, with long arms (33 3/4) and big hands (10 3/8), which are traits that figure to appeal to clubs. He is similar to Fresno State's Marcel Jensen in that he has ideal physical measureables with room to grow.

Seventh round: Rob Blanchflower (UMass)/Arthur Lynch (Georgia)
Two local products are paired together, as Blanchflower played in high school at St. John's-Shrewsbury (Mass.) and Lynch is from Dartmouth, Mass. They are both hard-nosed, team-first players with room to grow.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Troy Niklas name has been thrown around a bunch.

The rest, not until ESPN posted that this morning.
Also, Colt Loyerata or whatever has been officially speculated to be off the Pats board.
Very athletic in a Aaron Hernandez kind of way, but he snorted some coke and got a few traffic tickets. Not quite the same level of thuggary as Hernandez, but still some red flags. I was hoping they would bring him in as an undrafted rookie and see if he could tow the line.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's hoping that the Pats will find a "move" TE in house and not feel the need to spend a high draft choice on one. Their OTA practices begin on April 21 and Mark Harrison should get a chance to finally show what he can do. If they feel he can fill the need at Hernandez's old position, there's one less position to worry about on day 1 or day 2 of the draft. Likewise, with Armond Armstead at DT.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone expects to find another Hernandez. What the Pats must do is find a TE who can get downfield and catch the ball. Anything more is gravy. Gronk won't be back much before November. I think he'll be on the PUP List and will absolutely sit out the first six weeks. It may be time to start looking beyond Gronk. One more injury and he'll be pretty much done. Broken wrist, back fusion surgery and torn ACL & MCL. The human body can take only so much and he's taken a lot.

I expect Bill to trade the first round pick for a high second and probably a fourth. If Amaro is there when the Patriots pick, they really have to take him. Size, Speed and hands....the complete package.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone expects to find another Hernandez. What the Pats must do is find a TE who can get downfield and catch the ball. Anything more is gravy. Gronk won't be back much before November. I think he'll be on the PUP List and will absolutely sit out the first six weeks. It may be time to start looking beyond Gronk. One more injury and he'll be pretty much done. Broken wrist, back fusion surgery and torn ACL & MCL. The human body can take only so much and he's taken a lot.

I expect Bill to trade the first round pick for a high second and probably a fourth. If Amaro is there when the Patriots pick, they really have to take him. Size, Speed and hands....the complete package.

I couldn't agree more. Everyone blasts Amendola for not being on the field for his injuries. Amendola is not the beast and difference maker that Gronk is when on the field. The numbers show what a huge difference Gronk makes when he's on and off the field. And it's drastic. The case can very well be made that his absence during the playoffs/SB has cost SB trips and likely trophies.

Drafting a TE is a must! Not only for running the two TE sets we like have a lot of success with but to also fill in or replace Gronk for injury concerns. Even if Mark Harrison can be that move TE....we still need to draft a stud TE.

I have high hopes for Mark Harrison. He's a big target and has speed.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't agree more. Everyone blasts Amendola for not being on the field for his injuries. Amendola is not the beast and difference maker that Gronk is when on the field. The numbers show what a huge difference Gronk makes when he's on and off the field. And it's drastic. The case can very well be made that his absence during the playoffs/SB has cost SB trips and likely trophies.

Drafting a TE is a must! Not only for running the two TE sets we like have a lot of success with but to also fill in or replace Gronk for injury concerns. Even if Mark Harrison can be that move TE....we still need to draft a stud TE.

I have high hopes for Mark Harrison. He's a big target and has speed.

These two comments...

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blake Annen from Cincinnati
6' 4" 247lb
As low as 4.38 40, 4.30 shuttle and 7.19 3 cone.
35" vert, 25 reps and 10' broad. seems to be gathering a lot of interest as well.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports this week say that the Pats are extremely interested in Siklis and hope he'll fall to the 3rd Round. Rumor is that BB will trade the first Round pick and 4th to the Vikings for their second (#5 or 37 overall) and their 4th and 5th).

Historically, these rumors turn out to be 100% bullshit and deflect what BB is really doing.

If you haven't been to the movies recently, go see Draft Day.........it's worth the $10.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That movie looked outright terrible.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports this week say that the Pats are extremely interested in Siklis and hope he'll fall to the 3rd Round. Rumor is that BB will trade the first Round pick and 4th to the Vikings for their second (#5 or 37 overall) and their 4th and 5th).

Historically, these rumors turn out to be 100% bullshit and deflect what BB is really doing.

If you haven't been to the movies recently, go see Draft Day.........it's worth the $10.

I saw "draft day" when I turned 19. I don't want to see it again.....

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burton is pretty athletic and has some potential. I wouldn't mind seeing us draft him in the 3rd or 4th round.