• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any of you vegetarians?

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had a team-mate who managed to be full vegan and still wrestle in college. He had to be extremely careful to get enough legumes and beans in his diet for protein, but if you can't have any proteins that won't help. If you have some specific protein sources you can digest but not others that'll direct your new diet.

Lots of Italian food is still wonderful without any meat or cheese. Asian too.

Hope it works out for you - the basic illness sounds like a pain.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you that if my doctor told me I had to be a vegetarian or my kidneys would shut down, you'd be seeing me in the obituaries pretty quick due to kidney failure.

Yeah you absolutely don't want that. My daughter is vegan and it's real possible to have decent food with just vegetables. But you should talk to a dietician and nutritionist about it. I don't understand the no protein requirement. Even vegetables have proteins.

I looked briefly at the link and it does look like you need to cut out meats and milk which means soy products are ok. Just check with an expert first.

It means you can get some decent meals together. The secret will be the sauces you use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a vegetarian, but I eat meat pretty rarely. I also cook a lot.

Roasted veggies are easy, quick and tasty. Put olive oil and any spice you like in a big ziplock, cut up your veggies (just about any veggies) and put them in, too. Shake, and bake for maybe 20 minutes and you have a delicious, savory dish with lots of variations possible.

I would also suggest picking up/looking up various Asian food recipes. There are wide variety that are low in protein from India, Vietnam, etc. And lots of them are delicious.

Also, whoever suggested mushrooms was right on. Meat in dishes hits the salt and umami receptors. Mushrooms can give that savory umami flavor while containing a tiny fraction of the protein that meat (or even tofu) has.

Here is a pretty comprehensive listing of stuff to avoid, on this site dedicated to high protein diets: How Much Protein | What Is Protein

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to talk to a dietician. It's a rather complicated thing since it is so specific to my actual kidney function and such. I have to limit the protein and salt. It is essential to keep my blood pressure low. One of my closest friend, a lifelong friend since I have been a young kid is a physician and I have contacted him to help me understand some of it. He told me I may want to decide or have to go to a Gluten free diet too. I get bloating for some reason on an off and it really sucks. Sometimes I can hardly eat anything and my abdomen all enlarged from the condition. Just something that I will have to live with and figure out. It's definitely not easy. Learning is sort of trial by error. I went on one of the websites one of the poster gave me from some kidney foundation and in essence it was nothing more than an advertisement for them trying to sell you their cure from some doctor in China who wanted my name and phone number, fuck that. I sincerely appreciate all the help and suggestions with the exception of the I'd rather die , that's just not who I am.

There is one thing in life I know, many folks out there have much bigger problems than mine and I considered myself blessed for what I have here in the now. I know one of our fellow posters is or was dealing with a life threatening cancer I believe. I hope he is doing ok. If not my prayers are with him and his family.

So far I think I have done pretty well adapting. I do eat a small amount of protein but don't eat meals based around meat or eggs. I have eaten meals with some small amount of meat or cheese. It takes time but Rome wasn't built in a day. Either way the suggestions have been helpful and I wanted to thank you for them.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to talk to a dietician. It's a rather complicated thing since it is so specific to my actual kidney function and such. I have to limit the protein and salt. It is essential to keep my blood pressure low. One of my closest friend, a lifelong friend since I have been a young kid is a physician and I have contacted him to help me understand some of it. He told me I may want to decide or have to go to a Gluten free diet too. I get bloating for some reason on an off and it really sucks. Sometimes I can hardly eat anything and my abdomen all enlarged from the condition. Just something that I will have to live with and figure out. It's definitely not easy. Learning is sort of trial by error. I went on one of the websites one of the poster gave me from some kidney foundation and in essence it was nothing more than an advertisement for them trying to sell you their cure from some doctor in China who wanted my name and phone number, fuck that. I sincerely appreciate all the help and suggestions with the exception of the I'd rather die , that's just not who I am.

There is one thing in life I know, many folks out there have much bigger problems than mine and I considered myself blessed for what I have here in the now. I know one of our fellow posters is or was dealing with a life threatening cancer I believe. I hope he is doing ok. If not my prayers are with him and his family.

So far I think I have done pretty well adapting. I do eat a small amount of protein but don't eat meals based around meat or eggs. I have eaten meals with some small amount of meat or cheese. It takes time but Rome wasn't built in a day. Either way the suggestions have been helpful and I wanted to thank you for them.

Don't the steroids cause bloat, too? Sounds like it's gonna be a bit of trial & error for awhile to see what works for you. The good thing is that veggies can be pretty versatile so hopefully you'll find something that is tasty and healthy for you. Since you are also limiting salt/sodium, your taste buds will revive and you'll start really tasting food in a whole new light. You could also try any of the websites or apps where you can enter foods or types of diets and they'll give you recipes based on that. Epicurious is a good one. Good luck on your journey! We're rooting for ya!

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy thing about eating right or properly, often times your body just naturally repairs itself or maintains itself naturally rather than medication or even exercise.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need some help. Recently got diagnosed with a kidney disease where my body doesn't process proteins and I to need to try to avoid them and salt. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I like fruits andvegetables but this is going to be difficult.

This thread needs to be revived. I like to explore different dishes, some veggie based, some meat/fish/chicken. This is a veggie recipe from Wegman’s.

It’s a baked dish containing green beans, white mushrooms, cauliCreme (blended cauliflower), black truffle spread, garlic, olive oil, panko bread crumbs, and topped with fried shallots. Reasonably filling as a satisfying meal or as a side dish.

CD18B325-98DA-451F-B5A1-640057F82818.jpeg