• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any motorcycle riders here?

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see a forum for motorcyclists, so I'm posting here.
I sold my last Goldwing a few years ago and haven't ridden since. Today I picked up an older Honda VTX 1300r to get back into riding.
I'll use this bike to reacquaint myself to riding over the next year or so, then trade it in on a new(er?) model year Harley.

I'm looking forward to riding the highways again.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
south-park-motorcycle.gif

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see a forum for motorcyclists, so I'm posting here.
I sold my last Goldwing a few years ago and haven't ridden since. Today I picked up an older Honda VTX 1300r to get back into riding.
I'll use this bike to reacquaint myself to riding over the next year or so, then trade it in on a new(er?) model year Harley.

I'm looking forward to riding the highways again.
That’s what I did. Took a break from riding for 20 years or so while raising the kids. Started back up last year. Found a bmw with low miles and figured I’d use it to get my sea legs back. I’m already to upgrade to something bigger.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s what I did. Took a break from riding for 20 years or so while raising the kids. Started back up last year. Found a bmw with low miles and figured I’d use it to get my sea legs back. I’m already to upgrade to something bigger.
When I got back into riding I bought a Honda Shadow 700 and yup, before long I wanted something bigger.

I now ride a 2001 Low Rider FXDL

mJv8bMC.jpg

I'm gonna get the best dad award later this week when I surprise my son with one of these. It's a 2013 Triumph Bonneville 850 with less than 1000 miles on it. I'm getting it tomorrow~

hqdefault.jpg

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I got back into riding I bought a Honda Shadow 700 and yup, before long I wanted something bigger.

I now ride a 2001 Low Rider FXDL

mJv8bMC.jpg

I'm gonna get the best dad award later this week when I surprise my son with one of these. It's a 2013 Triumph Bonneville 850 with less than 1000 miles on it. I'm getting it tomorrow~

hqdefault.jpg
Love the bonnevilles. Actually was going to buy the triumph speed twin and when I got there they were sold out. Lucked out and saw the used BMW R9T Scrambler with 2K miles on it on the lot and paid less for it than for the new triumph

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sold my Kawi 750 when I went into the military and got stationed in England, never got another street bike. That being said I got a KDX 175 when I got to Michigan about 4 years later and rode it until it recently puked. Have yet to decide if I want to try and get parts for it or buy something newer, now that the Grandkids have 4 wheelers I need to do something to be able to continue riding with them...

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know people love them, and I can respect that. But jeez does it take a lot of faith in humanity to drive a bike. I lost a close friend because some 86 year old lady driving to church didn't see him and pulled out 20 feet in front of him on a 55 mph road. Working in the ER I don't know how many motorcycle accidents I've seen, but I know less than 10% were the fault of the rider. They're usually the safest most consciousness drivers on the road (with good reason). But there's just so many bad drivers out there.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know people love them, and I can respect that. But jeez does it take a lot of faith in humanity to drive a bike. I lost a close friend because some 86 year old lady driving to church didn't see him and pulled out 20 feet in front of him on a 55 mph road. Working in the ER I don't know how many motorcycle accidents I've seen, but I know less than 10% were the fault of the rider. They're usually the safest most consciousness drivers on the road (with good reason). But there's just so many bad drivers out there.
I always assume the person at the intersection is going to pull out in front of me.
Had some asshat in a Silverado do so yesterday. I was riding thru a small town on a two lane. He stopped halfway into the intersection, or I might have had to lay it down.
You do what you can to protect yourself. Good leather jacket. Helmet. Heavy denim jeans. Boots. Gloves.

Life is full of dangers. You'll go when it is your time to go. Whether that's is plowing into a moron who doesn't look close before pulling onto the roadway, or choking on a piece of prime rib at a popular steakhouse.

Live your life with caution, not fear.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
22 year old kid riding a motorcycle with his buddy just hit a deer here. His buddy was not taking his death well last time I saw.

Those ones are hard for me. My oldest is 18 and this kid looked like the boy she's currently dating.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always assume the person at the intersection is going to pull out in front of me.
Had some asshat in a Silverado do so yesterday. I was riding thru a small town on a two lane. He stopped halfway into the intersection, or I might have had to lay it down.
You do what you can to protect yourself. Good leather jacket. Helmet. Heavy denim jeans. Boots. Gloves.

Life is full of dangers. You'll go when it is your time to go. Whether that's is plowing into a moron who doesn't look close before pulling onto the roadway, or choking on a piece of prime rib at a popular steakhouse.

Live your life with caution, not fear.
I always assume that other people on the road can’t see me. In most cases they aren’t looking out for someone on a bike.

Fortnine has a good YouTube video on invisibility training.

Also, it’s helpful to gear up. Most of the Harley guys I work with will never wear a helmet and only a few of them have a jacket. Most of the ADV guys I know are “all gear all the time” spend $$$ being dressed out top to bottom.

I’m a little in between. I always wear a helmet and at least a jacket and gloves. I also have a good pair of boots. All of my gear is armored and abrasion resistant. I at least have the piece of mind that if I crash I might save most of my skin and bones.

I cringe when I see young people riding around town on their crotch rockets in a pair of shorts and sneakers just begging to destroy their feet and ankles if they ever lay it down.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my initial post I said I'd ride the vtx for a year or so then trade it in for a Harley.
Well, I'm sorry, I lied.
I didn't ride it for a year. I didn't trade it in. BUT, I did buy a newer Harley. This little Vamp changed my timeline the second I laid eyes on her.
2009 Electra Glide Classic. 17,200 miles.
00u0u_5o1tweDavWnz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

I'm keeping the VTX. It's too pretty to get rid of.
20211109_151857.jpg

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited:

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a 2002 Indian Spirit. Don't ride any more, shoulders hurt too bad when extended. Wife doesn't ride now either, too many distracted drivers on the road, she doesn't feel safe.