• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any Chance Kurt Warner's SB record gets broken?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most passing yards in a Superbowl in NFL history...

#1 Kurt Warner - 414
#2 Kurt Warner - 377
#3 Kurt Warner - 365

(Seriously, who can doubt the HOF status of Warner?)

If the Seahawks get to the SB... I don't see anyone throwing north of 300 yards.
Maybe Manning could pull it off against the 9ers?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Probably not. But passing yards in a game is a pretty meaningless statistic anyway.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not. But passing yards in a game is a pretty meaningless statistic anyway.

Exactly. Warner was a great QB, but the fact that "out-yarded" his opponent in every game but went 1-2 shows just how worthless yards can be. Points are king.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Warner was a great QB, but the fact that "out-yarded" his opponent in every game but went 1-2 shows just how worthless yards can be. Points are king.

Yes, agreed, but I'd say the 1 - 2 record says a lot more about Warner's teams than it does about him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

300 passing yards is a crap game if it came on 50 attempts. If it came on 35 attempts, that was probably a pretty good game (unless he threw a lot of picks or something).

It's all about yards per attempt & interceptions per attempt. People always look at totals because they either don't know any better or they're intellectually lazy.

That said, I have Kurt Warner as one of the top 5 QBs who ever played.

...another thing: people look at total yards to evaluate an offense. That's silly. That ignores snap speed, the defense, special teams, etc. A much better indicator of how good an offense is would be points per drive.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
300 passing yards is a crap game if it came on 50 attempts. If it came on 35 attempts, that was probably a pretty good game (unless he threw a lot of picks or something).

It's all about yards per attempt & interceptions per attempt. People always look at totals because they either don't know any better or they're intellectually lazy.

That said, I have Kurt Warner as one of the top 5 QBs who ever played.

...another thing: people look at total yards to evaluate an offense. That's silly. That ignores snap speed, the defense, special teams, etc. A much better indicator of how good an offense is would be points per drive.

Well said, all around.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, agreed, but I'd say the 1 - 2 record says a lot more about Warner's teams than it does about him.

Actually, the 1-2 record shows just how much better Belichick is as a coach as opposed to Mike Martz. Those Rams really had no business losing that Super Bowl. They were handicapped by a head coach that should have never been more than an OC that knew nothing about how to make an adjustment when what he was doing wasn't working.

Warner should have had at least one more appearance and one more win in St Louis if that team had been coached by someone even half as competent as Belichick.

Martz single-handedly made that team into annual underachievers.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warner left the field with a lead (twice) and tie game (once) with 2 minutes or less in each of his 3 superbowls.

Once, his defense held at the 1 yard line almost choking it.
Once, his defense allowed the Steelers to march 78 yards for the game winning TD.
Once, his defense allowed New England to march down the field and kick a game winning FG.

None of the 3 times, did Warner have any input in the final drives.
That sort of summarizes how tough it is to judge wins/losses for a quarterback's worth.

Warner could easily be 3-0 or 0-3.
But he did his job each time to win.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Warner was 1-2 in those games.

Throwing for 400 yards or more is usually bad news for the team.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Warner was 1-2 in those games.

Throwing for 400 yards or more is usually bad news for the team.

Warner vs pats 28/44 365 1/2 with 1 a pick 6:suds:

but but he threw for all those yards:suds:

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it looks like everyone is in agreement that yards are a meaningless stat on a good day. Now Kurt Warner played great in 2 relatively short stints. First with the Rams and then taking the Cards to the SB when few thought they had a realistic chance of getting there. His SB #'s are very good and I think he deserves credit for what he did on the field. My problem with all these QB conversations is how much value we place on just SB's. Championships, in any sport, are great and deserve some weight but football championships require so many things to work out for a "team" to win. A QB, although it's a crucial role on said team, only plays one side of the ball unlike every other major sport. It's really the only sport that consists of 3 seperate teams, (although there is some overlap on special teams), where defensive players and offensive players never see the other side of the ball. Warner deserves consideration for HOF, imo, but top 5 all-time is a big stretch for me. Those teams where he had success boasted some great (not good) WR corps and the Rams had a HOF RB. And before we play the "his D let him down card", let's not forget the pick 6's in both losing efforts. A terrible one right before half-time against Pittsburgh that should never have happened.

As for this year, I can't see Brady or Manning putting up huge numbers on either NFC defense but one never knows, do they. Stranger things have happened. I also can't envision a scenario where Kaep or Wilson torch the AFC teams secondary but if it happened, it may be Denvers. They seem to be vulnerable to deep plays at times. Don't know what it is. I think the Pats D is a little better. So no, I don't see Warners numbers being surpassed this year.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet when it comes to Manning in the post season, none of these narratives get mentioned.

Unbelievable.

For the record, I agree that Warner was a great QB who was let down by his defense and inferior coaching in those games.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way if either of those NFC Ds are playing would Den or Pats approach those numbers. The pass rush for both are way to good, and I dare Manning or Brady to throw at Sherman. Double dog.