• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another "major, major university" wants Mack Brown (Nebraska?)

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't compare Iowa to Texas...It shouldn't be done. It is unfair.

Again, you guys are Texas. You AREN'T the Iowa's of the world. Of course winning a NC and a couple conference titles at Iowa and others is a great accomplishment..But YOU'RE TEXAS. For the love of God, you guys should be in the title hunt every single year. We should be talking about FSU/Texas match up right now.

You play in the big12, realistically , you got Oklahoma to knock off and that is it.

:rolleyes:

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack Brown and Nick Saban are the same age

Saban - born on Halloween, 1951

Mack Brown - born Aug 27, 1951

Yes. And it's obvious one has aged better than the other.

Did you know some people die at 61 and others do not?

Mack looks a lot older than Saban. Especially after a game.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's precisely why you see the drop in top talent recruits in the B1G. Every B1G school except Nebraska are members of the AAU and have academic standards that won't allow most of the players that current "power schools" have on their rosters.

I will say though that Texas has the highest academic success in the Big 12

Overall student body, if not including the athlete students at Texas, the answer is YES, Texas's Petroleum Engineering is top notch along with many other of the majors at Texas.

If you are go by athlete students only, the answer is a STRONG NO NO NO NO NO.

Texas ranks in the BOTTOM TEN when it comes to GSR for the athlete students at Texas. At the bottom, of course, is Oklahoma. Oklahoma has always been at the bottom when in the Big 12 and nationally, it contends every year for the worst GSR.

To Texas's credit, it has improved from the early 2000s and before when it was ALWAYS below 50%.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many truths here. Truth more often than not hurts. I'm a graduate of UT, and am proud of that degree. Do football programs fudge players' intelligence to get good athletes? Of course they do, they all do. What I always liked about Mack Brown, was that he had an obvious niceness quality; sometimes in today's big business of college football, that is a detriment to success. But I didn't care, except when we were getting our hat handed to us by someone.

I know Texas fans always bring up the 'partial qualifier' thing with Nebraska. When the truth about our 'hero' VY is thrown at me, it hurts because I like him, but that doesn't mean that it's not true. He was/is not very bright academically.

But it is also true that Nebraska took partial qualifiers. What does that mean in the long run? I don't know. And truthfully, since my post concerns truths, I don't really care.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A truth I like to focus on;
Nebraska Football has an NCAA record 68 1st team Academic All-Americans and an additional 37 2nd and 3rd team selections. This includes 3 selections from this year.
Nebraska Athletics, across all sports, has an NCAA record 310 selections.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama may be looking for a head coach!

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack Brown APR
2003-2004 951
2004-2005 924
2005-2006 947
2006-2007 928
2007-2008 952
2008-2009 959
2009-2010 924
2010-2011 914
2011-2012 947

Bo Pelini
2007-2008 968
2008-2009 934
2009-2010 970
2010-2011 991
2011-2012 991

Nebraska football players SAT scores 962
Texas football players SAT scores 948

What was Texas Graduation Success Rate in 2000 for football players? 32%

ATHLETES IN CLASS: UT'S TOUGHEST GAME
Horns of an academic dilemma
UT still trying to balance athletics and academics.

By John Maher
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Sunday, October 28, 2007

Few athletics departments enjoy more triumphs on the field or bring in more money than the one at the University of Texas.

As DeLoss Dodds, the Longhorn men's athletics director once put it, "Everything that doesn't work around here, we fix."

In one area, however, success has been elusive and failure a continuing source of frustration for UT men's athletics: how Longhorn athletes perform in the classroom. Academics is the one worry, Dodds says, that keeps him up at night.

Recently, UT has been able to point to some signs that it is indeed fixing what has been broken - particularly in football and men's basketball - but academic advisers to Longhorn athletes still have plenty of challenges and history to overcome. Low graduation rates for football, baseball and men's basketball players stretch back to at least the 1980s and continue to this day.

This month, when the NCAA reported its six-year graduation rates, the Longhorns ranked last among Big 12 football teams, 11th among men's basketball teams and eighth among baseball teams. Each team posted rates below 50 percent; the NCAA's goal for student-athletes is 60 percent.

The story has been much the same for the football team for the past several seasons: Its graduation rate was worst in the Big 12 and second-lowest among all 64 bowl teams last year and was among the bottom three of Division I-A football in 2003 and 2004.

The men's basketball team that came within one win of the Final Four in 2006 had a graduation rate better than only two squads in the NCAA tournament's 65-team field.

In response to the most recent NCAA report, Dodds said that UT officials put more stock in the NCAA's newest measurement tool - called the academic progress rate - instead of graduation rates. The APR provides a current snapshot of how athletes are faring, while graduation rates tend to focus on problems well after the fact.

Yet in 2006, when the NCAA publicly unveiled APR ratings for schools for the first time, those numbers showed problems at UT that extended beyond the big-time revenue-generating sports such as football and basketball. Eight of Texas' 20 men's and women's teams failed to meet the NCAA's target APR score of 925. Four sports - men's golf, women's cross country, and women's indoor and outdoor track - ranked in the bottom 10th percentile of their sports.

UT's numbers have improved with the release of another year's worth of APR data, but an American-Statesman analysis shows that, among the schools that UT cites as its academic peers, male athletes in almost every sport are performing better academically than those at UT. The academic progress rates of two Longhorn teams were in the bottom 10th percentile for their sports, and six other teams ranked in the 10th to 20th percentile.

"We've got to do better," Dodds has said on more than one occasion.

What has made the Longhorns' shortcomings doubly vexing is that UT was a pioneer in academic support for athletes, beginning those efforts almost 50 years ago. UT spends about $2 million annually to assist athletes with their studies, about as much as any university.

In an effort to boost performance, UT athletics reorganized its academic counseling department nearly three years ago after the Longhorns' baseball, basketball and football teams each lost key players in 2004-05 because of academic lapses.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet it's Nebraska. Mack is 8-1 vs Nebraska during his time at Texas and Nebraska would love to improve their recruiting in Texas

Kirk Bohls of the Austin American Statesman:

Billionaire "Joe Jamail , his trusted friend and attorney , told me he received “a feeler from a major, major university to see if Mack was interested. ” When I asked
Jamail (more, he said), “I can’ t tell you. They called me in complete confidence.”
Other big- name schools have come after Mack regularly . I think Nebraska would be crazy not to consider Brown"

Turns out that it was Nebraska. Kirk Bohls of the Austin American Statesman again:
"Joe Jamail said he got a call from someone saying he represented Nebraska seeking Mack's interest. "He's not going to Nebraska," JJ said."

of course the Nebraska AD denies it. Shame Mack doesn't want to go to Nebraska, it would be a great fit

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ Texas' table scraps refusing the Nebraska job
b-b-but muh Texas arrogance

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ Texas' table scraps refusing the Nebraska job
b-b-but muh Texas arrogance

My sources say he's going to be taking a job making smoothies at Bama's new workout facility.

BubbaGump

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many truths here. Truth more often than not hurts. I'm a graduate of UT, and am proud of that degree. Do football programs fudge players' intelligence to get good athletes? Of course they do, they all do. What I always liked about Mack Brown, was that he had an obvious niceness quality; sometimes in today's big business of college football, that is a detriment to success. But I didn't care, except when we were getting our hat handed to us by someone.

I know Texas fans always bring up the 'partial qualifier' thing with Nebraska. When the truth about our 'hero' VY is thrown at me, it hurts because I like him, but that doesn't mean that it's not true. He was/is not very bright academically.

But it is also true that Nebraska took partial qualifiers. What does that mean in the long run? I don't know. And truthfully, since my post concerns truths, I don't really care.

Who cares about graduation rates anyway? I want the athletes to participate in class, but we all know that most of these athletes wouldn't be in college if it wasn't for their ability on the field. Should academics be more important than sports? One would hope so, but the reality is just the opposite. We, as fans, want to see a great game, and these athletes provide that for the most part. They get exposed to the pressures of earning their keep in the classroom, many for the first time ever. Even if only a small percentage ends up learning something, I say that is win/win.

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe some clown in our office was wanting Mack Brown, but 90+% of our fan base knows a garbage coach when we see one. Mack wouldn't have been allowed to coach the Huskers without there being a civil war in the state first. Much like there could be one if Pelini continues to have our teams shit the bed on the big stage year after year.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he has a sense of humor ol Mack will try to go to whichever team Texas's new HC comes from.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a bullshit troll by either Jamail or some dipshit calling him and acting like they represent Nebraska.. There's no way Nebraska want's Mack Brown. They haven't even fired Pelino.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack will be selling produce on the side of some dusty West texas highway...

Why, he'll cut an orange open...right there in front of you, so you can see how tasty it looks inside.