• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Angels in Town Aug 19-21

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to bed after 10. You don't have a chance of anything happen if you do not put the bat on the ball so Solak did that.
That is very similar to what I commented somewhere else this morning. That is one reason why I am not as crazy as some are about the OBP stat which views singles and walks as equals.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Makes you wonder what could have been had they actually tried to trade Minor and Pence.

Seemed like there was a lot of bitching from the “buying” teams about the prices. I think teams low balled JD and he didn’t bite.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll also add that we might have been deprived of the huge headline making trade that drastically helps our farm but....

The smaller moves JD has made look pretty good so far.

I like both Allard and Burke. Gibault has done a good job so far. I have high hopes that solak will replace odor or at least threaten his playing time.

What did we give up for these guys? Chris Martin.... a reliever on an expiring contract. Jurickson Profar..... a guy who has just been informed that Oakland will severely reduce his role. Pete Fairbanks..... watching the guy pitch was fun, but maddening. I wouldn’t put it past TB to fix him, but I doubt we would’ve.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll also add that we might have been deprived of the huge headline making trade that drastically helps our farm but....

I like both Allard and Burke. Gibault has done a good job so far. I have high hopes that solak will replace odor or at least threaten his playing time.

What did we give up for these guys? Chris Martin.... a reliever on an expiring contract. Jurickson Profar..... a guy who has just been informed that Oakland will severely reduce his role. Pete Fairbanks..... watching the guy pitch was fun, but maddening. I wouldn’t put it past TB to fix him, but I doubt we would’ve.
They were great acquisituons. To be fair to Fairbanks, he didn't have enough innings in to show that he needed to be fixed. If he does well, I don't think that means another team "ficed" him.

Profar has been awful, but judging that trade based on that is using hindsight. At the time of the trade he had a lot more value than now.

Nonetheless, JD did a great job with identifying Burke, Solak, and Allard.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Key word here is so far. We have a long way to go before anything is certain.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might want to tap the brakes on what we think of Burke after one outing. I expect him to be a good pitcher, but one outing proves nothing. Look at that list of Rangers pitchers that did what he did. That will show you that you cannot trust one outing as a career indicator.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were great acquisituons. To be fair to Fairbanks, he didn't have enough innings in to show that he needed to be fixed. If he does well, I don't think that means another team "ficed" him.

Profar has been awful, but judging that trade based on that is using hindsight. At the time of the trade he had a lot more value than now.

Nonetheless, JD did a great job with identifying Burke, Solak, and Allard.

I’d still pick Profar over Odor, based on what odor did while he was with us and when he actually got to play consistently.

Odor, on the other hand, has received an unprecedented level of favorable treatment from the rangers and his results are still below mediocre.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d still pick Profar over Odor, based on what odor did while he was with us and when he actually got to play consistently.

Odor, on the other hand, has received an unprecedented level of favorable treatment from the rangers and his results are still below mediocre.
I am not sure about the issue with Odor's stats overall. This year has been garbage for the most part. But his 1st 3 years are not bad including hitting 33 HRs and 33 doubles that 3rd year and his average went up each year. Then his 4th his average crashed and he looked like crap in spite of hitting 30 HRs. Then last year he missed around 30 games and bounced back to .253 which I could live with. But now he has crashed again. Profar was more versatile but his arm was lousy as far as I was concerned and he got consistent playing time this year and did not do very well either.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitzges had an interesting take on Mike Minor this morning. He wondered why Minor is still starting since it seems we've gone full blown into letting the youngsters audtion.

His take is, 'he's already pitched as many innings this year as last. So going into the off season he's either going to be traded or extended. In either case, protect this asset.'

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unless Odor is involved in a legitimate circumstance, I suggest we all move on. Most conversation about him is old and in most cases a waste of energy. I'm trying hard to ignore most conversations concerning him . Hope I get a positive support from you and the board.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitzges had an interesting take on Mike Minor this morning. He wondered why Minor is still starting since it seems we've gone full blown into letting the youngsters audtion.

His take is, 'he's already pitched as many innings this year as last. So going into the off season he's either going to be traded or extended. In either case, protect this asset.'

Wise old bird he is. Valid point

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Considering the way the games have gone with extra innings twice and the doubleheader with Palumbo only going 1 inning. The Rangers really need Mike to pitch 5-6 innings for the sake of all the arms in the bullpen.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the way the games have gone with extra innings twice and the doubleheader with Palumbo only going 1 inning. The Rangers really need Mike to pitch 5-6 innings for the sake of all the arms in the bullpen.

Point taken........But playing devil's advocate: How foolish are we going to feel if he gets hurt and becomes basically worthless as a trade piece, and a question mark for his future here.

But I say again, you've got a valid view.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point taken........But playing devil's advocate: How foolish are we going to feel if he gets hurt and becomes basically worthless as a trade piece, and a question mark for his future here.

But I say again, you've got a valid view.
For sure he should not pitch 7 innings or pitch anywhere near 100 pitches.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure he should not pitch 7 innings or pitch anywhere near 100 pitches.

Actually Norm said 'If you're going to pitch him, then two more starts and then shut him down for Sept.'

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Norm said 'If you're going to pitch him, then two more starts and then shut him down for Sept.'

There is always a chance of anyone getting hurt. Heck if you are prone to injury or if your body is ultimately going to breakdown on you, then it could happen just warming up. Though the likelihood is greater when pushing your limits or with the strain of actually competing.

The fact that they need him pretty badly for this start means I pitch him tonight. The case can also be made that if he doesn't start and another starter cant get through more than an inning or 2 means you take a chance of getting other guys or multiple guys hurt by having to throw them and push their limits as well. Though they could always shuffle guys back and forth to the minors and get some fresher arms up.

Before you posted this, my line of thinking was start him tonight and then once more and shut him down for this season.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is always a chance of anyone getting hurt. Heck if you are prone to injury or if your body is ultimately going to breakdown on you, then it could happen just warming up. Though the likelihood is greater when pushing your limits or with the strain of actually competing.

The fact that they need him pretty badly for this start means I pitch him tonight. The case can also be made that if he doesn't start and another starter cant get through more than an inning or 2 means you take a chance of getting other guys or multiple guys hurt by having to throw them and push their limits as well. Though they could always shuffle guys back and forth to the minors and get some fresher arms up.

Before you posted this, my line of thinking was start him tonight and then once more and shut him down for this season.

So you and Norm are same-same.....ha ha ha

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Norm can tell Minor he will sit out the rest of the season. A ballplayer worth his salt is not going to go for that.