• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andrus Peat

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that all could be true but again all i said is there are 4-5 good OTs .

if you added any more then that simple statement then you were wrong and i have corrected you on what i meant

And I told you exactly what i meant. If we remain where we currently are in the draft and take a player at ANY position, he damn well better be more than just GOOD at his position. I agree that there are supposed to be some good O-lineman in this draft, but you can say that every year. But if you are working with a top five pick, and even if you trade down the expectation should be alot more than simply good.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuck it, ill take a good player at number 5. you can never have enough of those.
right now i want williams or a trade back but its early

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with this team is that they draft from a board set up and rated by their staff of available players. Generally, there is nothing wrong with that if you're drafting for fantasy. The missing piece for this team and to be fair a few others is, that they all draft without taking into account their own team.

To be clear, as Dad said they set-up a draft board looking for the BPA at a position of need and if there isn't value there go to the next and so on and so forth. The flaw in that thinking is that if the BPA at a position of need has value but doesn't grade out as better than the guy that you already have you'll always end up with projects.......guys that grade well, but will need time to see if they are able to become better than the current starter.

I want a GM who tells his scouting staff that these are the guys on my current roster that need to be replaced. Go out and compile me a list of players who grade out better than they are. We will draft the Best players from those lists. If the best player on the list grades out as equal to (superstars and all-pros excepted) or less than the guy that I already have.....pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with this team is that they draft from a board set up and rated by their staff of available players. Generally, there is nothing wrong with that if you're drafting for fantasy. The missing piece for this team and to be fair a few others is, that they all draft without taking into account their own team.

To be clear, as Dad said they set-up a draft board looking for the BPA at a position of need and if there isn't value there go to the next and so on and so forth. The flaw in that thinking is that if the BPA at a position of need has value but doesn't grade out as better than the guy that you already have you'll always end up with projects.......guys that grade well, but will need time to see if they are able to become better than the current starter.

I want a GM who tells his scouting staff that these are the guys on my current roster that need to be replaced. Go out and compile me a list of players who grade out better than they are. We will draft the Best players from those lists. If the best player on the list grades out as equal to (superstars and all-pros excepted) or less than the guy that I already have.....pass.

i would expect that you would try to draft a player that grades out higher then you have or has the "potential " to be higher depending on where the selection is

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would expect that you would try to draft a player that grades out higher then you have or has the "potential " to be higher depending on where the selection is

That is correct, and the reason why you don't just limit yourself to the BPA. Wasting picks on guys who have no hope of being more than journeymen or serviceable in this league is the purview of teams that have successful winning programs. They can afford to waste a later round pick, not teams/organizations that put together back to back 3-13 or so seasons.

This is a very big reason why I stay focused on the weakness at GM and scouting. There is very little imagination there. So here's a question for you or anyone else that wants to answer it. What happens if you have a well organized scouting dept. and a GM who ranks in the top 10 in his craft and you get to the later rounds only to find that there are no players that fits your team scheme, or lacks the skills to become NFL worthy players?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is correct, and the reason why you don't just limit yourself to the BPA. Wasting picks on guys who have no hope of being more than journeymen or serviceable in this league is the purview of teams that have successful winning programs. They can afford to waste a later round pick, not teams/organizations that put together back to back 3-13 or so seasons.

This is a very big reason why I stay focused on the weakness at GM and scouting. There is very little imagination there. So here's a question for you or anyone else that wants to answer it. What happens if you have a well organized scouting dept. and a GM who ranks in the top 10 in his craft and you get to the later rounds only to find that there are no players that fits your team scheme, or lacks the skills to become NFL worthy players?

Stymietee, if this is your focus, I completely agree with you. I have never meant to be a defender of Allen. I have my concerns. But I just thought that we should be judging him on what he really did (or didn't do) vs what Shanahan was doing. It has always been my belief that Shanahan, at least in his first 3 years or so, had complete control and autonomy. He just is too much of a control freak to accept it any other way. Once he started to lose that control (between year 3 and 4 with Robert and Snyder), he began to self destruct.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stymietee, if this is your focus, I completely agree with you. I have never meant to be a defender of Allen. I have my concerns. But I just thought that we should be judging him on what he really did (or didn't do) vs what Shanahan was doing. It has always been my belief that Shanahan, at least in his first 3 years or so, had complete control and autonomy. He just is too much of a control freak to accept it any other way. Once he started to lose that control (between year 3 and 4 with Robert and Snyder), he began to self destruct.

Yep!! In 2009 this organization hires a guy with the titles of President/General manager in the organizational chart. So what does he do? protect the system? Nope! He ceded, relinquished or disrupted (whatever term people are comfortable with) the organizations setup to one guy who insisted that his crazy ass have complete control which by the way included that same newly minted President/GM responsibilities.

You have to ask yourself why that President/ GM was willing to give up his duties and render himself feckless?

Last edited by a moderator:

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep!! In 2009 this organization hires a guy with the titles of President/General manager in the organizational chart. So what does he do? protect the system? Nope! He ceded, relinquished or disrupted (whatever term people are comfortable with) the organizations setup to one guy who insisted that his crazy ass have complete control which by the way included that same newly minted President/GM responsibilities.

You have to ask yourself why that President/ GM was willing to give up his duties and render himself feckless?

Oh Oh, I know this one. TO keep his job that he should never have been given in the first place.

Anyone notice how GM's rarely get retread like coaches do? Bruce Allen is on his 3rd GM gig, and he'll do or say anything to keep it.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh Oh, I know this one. TO keep his job that he should never have been given in the first place.

Anyone notice how GM's rarely get retread like coaches do? Bruce Allen is on his 3rd GM gig, and he'll do or say anything to keep it.

Genetically, he is the son of a former HC and brother of an idiot former senator. Just goes to show how much luck plays a hand in life. All in all not bad for a former Ball boy....too bad for all of the rest of us!!