• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

And then there's the Raiders.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think rotoworld.com tends to be pretty accurate.

They have him as the 4th best option. I would say there are two big issues with him. He stinks against the pass so at best you are getting yourself a run stopper and that is about it. Throw in then he only plays maybe 40% of all defensive snaps. So while he is a good player he plays a limited role. I actually wanted the Broncos to sign him but with the understanding you will need a 2nd NT of high quality to step in when he has to come off the field.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have him as the 4th best option. I would say there are two big issues with him. He stinks against the pass so at best you are getting yourself a run stopper and that is about it. Throw in then he only plays maybe 40% of all defensive snaps. So while he is a good player he plays a limited role. I actually wanted the Broncos to sign him but with the understanding you will need a 2nd NT of high quality to step in when he has to come off the field.
Before free agency started ATL had basically nobody at LB. They had him as the 2nd best 4-3 outside linebacker on the market 2nd to Sean Weatherspoon (who was previously a Falcon before signing with Arizona) so you know the depth wasn't fantastic there.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before free agency started ATL had basically nobody at LB. They had him as the 2nd best 4-3 outside linebacker on the market 2nd to Sean Weatherspoon (who was previously a Falcon before signing with Arizona) so you know the depth wasn't fantastic there.
I'm talking about dan Williams. Who are you talking about?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malcolm Smith.

Ahh yeah he was a decent signing for the Raiders. He ran very hot and cold this past year. Profootballfocus had him with a terrible grade for this last year but most of that is because of about 4 games just playing at a very low level. He is not a very good tackler but when he reads the play right he usually makes a big play. So he is a high risk/high reward kind of guy but will also cost you because of his taking chances.

As for the OLB class yeah beyond Weatherspoon it was not a pretty group. The fact that a back up OLB who had a very down year is the 2nd best in the class doesn't speak well for the group. They seem to be getting paid though. I can't believe Bruce Carter got $5 million a year yet Weatherspoon only took a $4 million deal.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh yeah he was a decent signing for the Raiders. He ran very hot and cold this past year. Profootballfocus had him with a terrible grade for this last year but most of that is because of about 4 games just playing at a very low level. He is not a very good tackler but when he reads the play right he usually makes a big play. So he is a high risk/high reward kind of guy but will also cost you because of his taking chances.

As for the OLB class yeah beyond Weatherspoon it was not a pretty group. The fact that a back up OLB who had a very down year is the 2nd best in the class doesn't speak well for the group. They seem to be getting paid though. I can't believe Bruce Carter got $5 million a year yet Weatherspoon only took a $4 million deal.

Good signing by the Raiders (although I don't know the terms of the deal) on paper.

Sio Moore/Kalil Mack are not getting de-throned any time soon and Smith is good depth/change of pace when needed. Kevin Pierre-Louis (Seattle rookie LBer) played well for Seattle when it counted so I feel Seattle was going to move on regardless.

It's a good 'let him walk' and 'sign him' on paper by both teams assuming the contract value makes sense.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be honest even Weatherspoon was an iffy contract. Always being injured doesn't translate much on the field. Even with all of those faults ATL would have made an upgrade by signing Smith...just sayin.