• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Analytics and Gabbert

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blaine Gabbert - QB - Jaguars
The Jaguars used advanced metrics from the website Pro Football Focus to help determine their draft pick of Luke Joeckel at No. 2 overall.
A study done by PFF's Steve Palazzolo argues that right tackles have become just as important as left tackles in terms of pass protection. Jaguars VP of Football Technology and Analytics Tony Khan -- owner Shahid's son -- expanded PFF's study to show Blaine Gabbert was the NFL's 13th-highest rated passer among 38 qualifiers in 2012 when given 2.6 seconds or more to throw. When Gabbert had 2.5 seconds or less, he was 35th in QB rating and 34th in completion rate. The Joeckel pick remains unlikely to turn Gabbert's career around, but it could lead to more competitive quarterback play in 2013 and be of particular assistance to Jacksonville's next QB in 2014.
Source: NFL.com May 3 - 6:42 PM
Jacksonville Jaguars start anew with David Caldwell's debut draft - NFL.com

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most interesting thing to me is that they used PFF.

Either PFF has a really good system set up for their stats... or... Jacksonville is run by crazy people who trust private websites.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If following PFF in gathering their info is something new for this organization, then fuck, let 'em have at it because whatever they were doing prior wasn't working too well.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If following PFF in gathering their info is something new for this organization, then fuck, let 'em have at it because whatever they were doing prior wasn't working too well.

they were pretty good out of the gate with Coughlin, reached the AFC Championship game I believe. all downhill after they fired him, while Coughlin went on to win Super Bowls and even score a football life booster

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gabbert is proof that drafting a QB is not always the best thing for a team that needs a QB. Unless it's an Andrew Luck or RGIII like talent just take the best player on the board. Then you take a chance a on QB in the middle of the draft and let them compete against a veteran. Worst case scenario you're back toward the top draft next year were hopefully a better QB prospect is waiting, but at least you got a good player to keep building up your team with that 1st round pick.

When you take a QB in the 1st round though that does not pan out it makes it awfully difficult to get rid of them.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gabbert is proof that drafting a QB is not always the best thing for a team that needs a QB. Unless it's an Andrew Luck or RGIII like talent just take the best player on the board. Then you take a chance a on QB in the middle of the draft and let them compete against a veteran. Worst case scenario you're back toward the top draft next year were hopefully a better QB prospect is waiting, but at least you got a good player to keep building up your team with that 1st round pick.

When you take a QB in the 1st round though that does not pan out it makes it awfully difficult to get rid of them.

But when you do, you get a 2nd rounder and a conditional second rounder the next year, right? ;)

Saw people wanting KC to take Geno just because they haven't drafted a QB who has won a game for a long time. They've gone the FA route, often through SF. Don't know how long and don't really care.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But when you do, you get a 2nd rounder and a conditional second rounder the next year, right? ;)

Saw people wanting KC to take Geno just because they haven't drafted a QB who has won a game for a long time. They've gone the FA route, often through SF. Don't know how long and don't really care.

He was not worth the 1st overall pick. That was a horrible draft class though so not like we missed out on much. Yeah we could have drafted Rodgers but who knows how that would have turned out. I think Rodgers benefited and became a better QB for having to sit behind Farve. I also think Alex would have developed faster if in a similar situation.

I will say this though. The Jags are never going to get a 2 potential 2nd round picks for Gabbert.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dont forget they have a 3rd next year too because they traded down a few spots using that 2nd round pick. So it will turn out to be two 2nds and a 3rd

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was not worth the 1st overall pick. That was a horrible draft class though so not like we missed out on much. Yeah we could have drafted Rodgers but who knows how that would have turned out. I think Rodgers benefited and became a better QB for having to sit behind Farve. I also think Alex would have developed faster if in a similar situation.

I will say this though. The Jags are never going to get a 2 potential 2nd round picks for Gabbert.

I don't look at it as how Rodgers would do here, I just see that 22 other teams didn't see what he was either (or already had QBs).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont forget they have a 3rd next year too because they traded down a few spots using that 2nd round pick. So it will turn out to be two 2nds and a 3rd

Hopefully we can trade those for more or better picks. :)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yep, it is even MORE crucial when it comes to QB's, and you can extend this to most positions too.

your high picks should lean way over to BPA. teams must keep adding talent year over year. too far over to Need and you're taking less talent to meet short term goals.